Reactions to photographs...

That's perfectly understandable, but then comes the question of the forum needing to make a choice to be a gear forum, like every single other out there, rather than being an image-driven site.

My opinion on the thanks system still holds and your explanation of it appears to have backed me up because it's a lazy form of communication and discourages interactions between members.

I've not seen a forum last when such a system was used from the beginning.

I disagree that the "thanks" should be removed. Not everyone has time to make comments. And yet, for those without time, he or she may still want to let the poster that he or she appreciates what was posted (whether a comment or photo). In fact, I feel that most users in the forum under-utilize the "thanks".

It's my opinion that if a poster wants comments, he or she should ask for comments. Most of the times, I assume that people who post photos just want to share them with others.

As for people only commenting on X100 or GRD or whatever else, it's all about what interests people. Personally, I tend to gravitate towards X100 photos because I own and like the X100. Similarly, I gravitate towards threads that have images or discussions about some gear that I own. Consequently, I don't gravitate towards the GRD threads. But when I do, like in Sparth's thread with the GRD, I find them quite enjoyable as well. In short, I don't think most people in this forum "ignore" threads. It's much more about what interests someone, and how he or she chooses to use their time.

snake, your Facebook experience is no doubt shared by all of us. I only use my account to post photos I want to share. Not always my best, and I don't do it for the "likes" but to share where I've been lately and what I've been doing without having to type... I save the typing for places like this because for the most part I don't like Facebook one bit. But sure a flood of "likes" come in, which I take to mean that those in my circle are simply acknowledging that they've seen the image and know I am and/or our family is alive and well.

Doesn't it all boil down to emotional response? And in what context?

Post your bridge shots to a forum dedicated to architectural photography or engineering or heritage structures and you are likely to get a great deal more emotional response from the participants there than would a photo of your cat or dog or child.

I am a little baffled by this thread, do you want real honest feedback and criticism or do you want complements, or just recognition of the posting. There are a lot of postings here that I miss just because of how much time I can spend here, there are also honestly a number of images that I do not think people would want to hear my thoughts on, so I comment when I can on things I like. Except when I am working I have always just shot for myself, if anyone wants to look, comment or not it is all fine.
Also most times the simplest image some times shot on the poorest camera can be the best image. Cameras and computers are just the tools one uses to capture the image; your eye and mind are what makes it speak. Just because an image is perfectly exposed, super sharp and expertly processed for a long time does not make it a great image.

That's perfectly understandable, but then comes the question of the forum needing to make a choice to be a gear forum, like every single other out there, rather than being an image-driven site.

My opinion on the thanks system still holds and your explanation of it appears to have backed me up because it's a lazy form of communication and discourages interactions between members.

I've not seen a forum last when such a system was used from the beginning.

My explanation doesn't back anything up other than to say that some folks don't have the time to write a comment, but still want to show their appreciation for a comment or an image that they saw. Without the "thanks", a poster would not have even known that someone has looked at his/her post, and appreciates it. It's great if there are more interactions, but it's just unrealistic to think that everyone has time to engage into discussions with depth. I am fortunate that I am in front of a computer 80% of the time for work, and my employers are laid back enough that they don't get on my case for taking "breaks" to enjoy this forum. But a lot of folks out there don't have my luxury and time.

As for image driven vs. gear, I suppose I should have further expanded my explanation to also indicate that the "interests" I was talking about also apply to the type of photos that people like. I think I may have discussed that in an earlier post in this thread. So for example, I gravitate towards threads of street photography as opposed to threads about insects, flowers, macro, and cats. That's because I like environmental portrais and people photography. Not so much into cats (with all due respect to cat lovers all there) as I am allergic to cats.

Knock, Knock.....
Well, this is more interesting by each post....
First off, I agree that the thanks is a volatile unnecessary thing. Guilty as charged I am. If one forgets to post a thanks on a post, image etc but then later remembers to do so on another post...that has a chance of hurting some one on their post. It could be seen as, "no thanks means no interest". I can't do anything about this but would submit a request to the forum GHAWDS.

If we look at this forum statistically we may notice that there is a general wave of gear. Gear discussions are not in themselves a bad thing but can stifle the other areas of interest on any forum. Amin, BB & I set up forum titles way back and all agreed that it was a solid structure. I still feel that it is.

The subject of C&C really has it's place in that forum. If one wants C&C or just feedback, that's the ideal place to start a thread. It's not the only way to get feedback but that area is designed for exactly that.
On a personal note, I have 19 current members here that I do editing and C&C work on a regular basis. No names given for privacy reasons but youse know who youse are. I have always been available. It's part of my forte' to do this. So, that remains true even now that I am off duty.
That invitation is extended to everyone. Amin pays the bill..... nah....sharing is what it's all about....

Sharing...hmmm what a simple idea. We are a community of many different talents. I find it hard to believe that anyone asking anyone would be turned down as long as it was within the members realm of knowledge to provide an answer.
As in any community, we all share the responsibility to support each other and teach and learn from each other.
That being said, hitting the THANKS button really just releases you from an active responsibility to help the other guy/gal out.

Maybe just maybe, this old hippie has something here. Maybe the next time you read a thread or post, just try helping that person out by typing a few words of support. NO! No the love, peace crapola, be truthful but be civil. If a conversation needs to get deeper, the pm system is more personal.

I'm around if needed for anyone, anytime.....

pssssst.... I still have mucho clout with Amin...

retow,
To start.... if you would like a qualified opinion/critique on images, I make myself available to you. If you would like it in private, please pm me and we can do it that way. If you want it on the open forum, please post the images, pm me because I am not here often anymore but will post my insights for you.

I critique, edit, curate etc for many very good shooters, exhibitions and collections.
at your service sir.... Don

Don, this is extremely genereous of you and I will gladly come back to your offer as your critique will mean a lot to me and help me on improving my photography. However, for this thread, the little devil in me simply wanted to kick off a lively discussion as regards what kind of pictures get the highest attention and feedback on this forum and why.

i love being released from active responsibility Don, which is why I just thanked that post ...
;)

I like the "Thanks" button. I also used to love using a reputation button that allowed one to type in why I was adding to the rep of that person, but I do not believe that this is available for us here.

snake I am very sorry that you feel, if I read your comments here correctly, that only Don and olli have taken the time to comment on your photographs. Strictly from my own experience, I can tell you that watching every thread and not just for photographs but for comments and the occasional spammer or controversy takes a tremendous amount of time and becomes impossible if one has any other life outside the forum. That said, I think most of the members here do try to keep their eyes peeled...and that by reading through everyone's posts we can see how easy it is to miss out on photographs, even when one does have an interest in seeing them all.

Certain cameras get a lot of hits when they first come on..but it's always been hoped that people would share their work in the Image threads that were not always going to be camera specific. As Don noted, we set up the forums with a lot of thought...but there is always room for improvement. I hope that everyone knows that if they have suggestions they should post their suggestions https://www.photographerslounge.org/f19/suggestion-box-24/ and feel free to start a thread in that Help and Feedback forum, as well.

I can only speak for myself with regards to checking on people's photos. I do like to do it but do not have the same amount of time right now that I did earlier, but hope to in the future.

I've enjoyed reading this thread and must confess that like others, and retow, I've had the same question in my mind. but, to answer it, must go to my own attitude with regard to the posts and photographs on this forum...

1) The thanks system: has made me completely lazy about making comments. I think it should be scrapped.

2) Timing: absolutely! I usually post in the early afternoon (my time) when the bulk of the members here are either already in bed or on their way... by the time they get up, anything I posted is likely to have been pushed to the bottom of the list (or right off it) in the right sidebar... and thats where I look first, to see whats happening. If I get through the new posts listed there (and sometimes I dont) I then go into the main forum listing to see whats new. Thats my day gone to god.

3) C&C: I think I will start posting in there because there are times I know for sure that my shots lack something and need a crit so I can shoot better. I get caught up, though, in trying to post to the "right" thread (its a bird, its a nature shot, its colour, and I shot it with a small DSLR so should I post in birds, nature, colour or small dslr... and I dont want to have to post in all places!) I've had a couple of shots where I got maybe two thanks, and no comments at all. Ya gotta wonder, sometimes... were they really that bad, or was the timing very bad...

4) Too much going on. Like others, this isn't the only forum I go to. Its one of only two photography based forums I go to, but I also have three other forums, as well as facebook (for my fish wrangling: the rest of it I now dont do) and G+. Not to mention flickr, deviantart and redbubble. I dont manage to properly keep up with any.

5) Another wondering thing is when you see that your shots have been viewed dozens of times, and not a single comment amongst them... are they really that bad?

Finally, I want to say that I have not yet seen a BAD photograph here (of those I have seen). If I dont comment or thank its not because I don't like it, its because it got lost in the general morass and confusion of my day, and I think this is probably the case for most others. We all have lives outside the forum as well as other interests (though I must confess... not too many...) and its not a matter of lack of appreciation at all... its usually a matter of not seeing or being bloody lazy (in my case).

@retow - Thanks for opening up a can of worms! :)

It's just all a matter of preference by the viewer and timing to garner what appears to be the most interest for a photo. Most of us look at the "Recent Discussions" sidebar to see the latest active threads. If someone posts something at 4:30 a.m. CST, there's a very good chance that it might get pushed to the bottom of the "Recent Discussions" by the time I wake up.

@Don - I don't believe the "thanks" button relieves anyone of any responsibility. But it lets the poster know that I do appreciate them. Yes, sometimes I may forget to hit "thanks" but that's not any worse than looking at a photo or reading a comment that I do appreciate, and then not posting or forgetting to post a reply comment about it. Which I am sure happens quite often in any community.

I do hope folks who want CC from others will explicitly ask for it and/or post in CC threads. I think it's normal for most humans to refrain from saying negative things. So if I see a photo that I don't like, I will likely refrain from saying "your photo sucks" and will say nothing instead. Unless of course the person is asking for CC. In which case, I will constructively say something (I wouldn't really say "your photo sucks"). And if it's a photo that I do like, but the poster is not asking for CC, then I would likely keep my comments to "great photos," and not necessarily describe all the things I like about the photo.

Last but not least, I would like to say that I really appreciate the time BB takes to make sure that folks in the forum get the "thanks" button. :) If there's any stat keeping in this forum about "thanks" button usage, BB would definitely be on top. Thanks BB!!

without wanting to turn this thread into a "thanks" thread, I wouldn't like to see the facility scrapped ... I never use it for images, but I do find it handy for responding to posts where otherwise I'd be forced to add "yes" or "+1", which feels a bit of a faff and a waste of time ... civility in forums is rather important and "thanks" seems to me to be a nice shorthand for a nod and a smile.

retow, I certainly get the gist of the thread but I can read members concerns and that sparks me. of I posted a photo of my very rare, very used Black Lac M4... Guaranteed it would generate many view, thanks & post.
Tuff bananas, ain't happening.

So subject matter will draw a viewer in first. Then execution either holds or releases attention. Then the gear enters. What camera, what lens, Iso...fstop... pp etc. These are points of interest that brings the viewer in.
So one never knows how the viewer will respond. Will the post, hit the thanks etc?
No one lnows.

What I see.... I look at a members photos and the only question I am concerned with is...
Why?

I tend to agree that which thread you posted the image on will partly determine the reaction. For instance, if I get a sudden inkling to take photos of a church I might seek out the "Show Churches" thread or somesuch and read through it in bulk, but it's not something that I would view everytime it pops up with a new post. If I'm browsing through this site looking for entertainment I'm more likely to view a unique thread of a holiday or event for example because it usually has some well thought-out commentary attached which help bring the images to life. In a forum environment I look through the words at least as much if not more than the images attached to them.

I'm more interested in seeing photojournalism rather than just plain photography.

Interesting Nic - about the importance of stories with photos. I have to say that I enjoy the stories with the photos myself, though I rarely add in that sort of thing with my pictures...perhaps because I don't travel...though stories can be right where we are, too.

I'm glad retow posted his inquiries and that so many are sharing their views here.

Here's another thought. I often access this and other fora via my Galaxy Tab. I'm sure there are many others who do likewise through other mobile devices, iThings, Adenoids and the like. Tapatalk is quick and easy to use but it isn't hot on imagery.

Regards,

Bill

I'm really glad this discussion has come up.

When I browse the image forums, if I like the images I see or I feel that I need to comment on them, I usually post a comment. There are many cases where I go through and look at the images and I just don't post. Many times, I just can't go through the images or the thread fell to the bottom of the pile. I don't care for the thanks system all that much.

At the same time I've posted images in either individual threads or some of the "themed" threads and I don't see any responses or I have no idea if anyone saw them or not. Or I see folks thanked, but that doesn't tell me much in regards to if the person liked the image or not or why they like it or not. The thanks button is sorta facebookish, and I don't do facebook.

So I guess I'm just as guilty as the next. I would love for me to go through all the image forums and see everyone's posted images, but it is just not possible.

I tend to agree that which thread you posted the image on will partly determine the reaction. For instance, if I get a sudden inkling to take photos of a church I might seek out the "Show Churches" thread or somesuch and read through it in bulk, but it's not something that I would view everytime it pops up with a new post. If I'm browsing through this site looking for entertainment I'm more likely to view a unique thread of a holiday or event for example because it usually has some well thought-out commentary attached which help bring the images to life. In a forum environment I look through the words at least as much if not more than the images attached to them.

I'm more interested in seeing photojournalism rather than just plain photography.

This is some of the issues I've had not just with this forum, but mu-43.com as well. Sometimes I have random images and I don't mind posting them to the themed image threads. At other times, I want to post a group of images from vacation or some event. Sometimes I post individually for critique or to make some sort of point.

Interestingly enough, I get better responses at mu-43 by posting individual threads say of holiday pictures compared to here. Yet if I post in a themed thread here, I get much more responses than I do there.

Interesting how two similar forums work differently?

Still not sure what kind of response people want, but my gut tells that most want to hear how much the images are liked. The pixel counters want to hear how sharp they are or how well this or that camera is the only one that can do this or that. Others just want to hear how well they shoot this or that. I do not see the point in this, more than likely if you posted them here you like them and you want to share, does it really matter if others have the same high opinion of your images. Not to long ago someone posted some images that many here commented how much they liked them, fine but I honestly think they are pretty bad. What should I say, does anybody here really think they want my honest but polite comments. I do not think so, I just look and move on. Speaking of that if anyone feels the need to write some honest but negative criticism of my image postings, feel free, when you work in this business it is just another part of the experience. At the same time do not feel the obligation to comment at all, good or bad, no worries

While it is always helpful to have feedback, there should be no harsher critic than yourself. The only way to grow at this art form is to be a very hard editor and know you can always do better.

As to the thank you button, I and fine if it stays or goes

Just "thanked" you for your input, Jason. ;)

The idea behind the "Words/No Words" threads is, as explained in the stickies at the top of the Image thread forums thanks to Brian,
The W/NW threads are not for critique of images. Post a follow-up image and let it speak for itself, and to inspire- rather than giving advice on how you would have done the image. W/NW threads typically are open to all types of camera formats, even in semi-dedicated sites such as this one.

W/NW threads were popular on photo.net, going back a long time. I first started participating in ~2002. Several Photography sites have set up W/NW forums. Rangefinderforum.com has an active W/NW forum.

Just to add- many times you get a Photo that you want to show, and on a site with a W/NW forum- often an existing thread is there to place it in. Otherwise, many "one-Photo" threads come, and sink into the abyss within a week. The W/NW threads bring the old posts back to the surface.

So they have their value, but so do dedicated threads which can range from personal ones to specific cameras to themes to whatever - all of which, I know you know, but am posting here because I want to make sure everyone knows.

As far as I know, none of us is perfect.;) If anything this thread is reminding us all who want to to contribute more both on the give and take throughout the forums, as we can. Time, energy and access all come into play, of course.

Back