Read old photography magazines!

mike3996

Legend
While I don't like to read or watch photographs on a small phone screen, my LFI subscription doesn't allow desktop viewing of their archives. On an occasion I do read an old issue on the phone. They had "reader submitted photographs" even back then, nice to get amateurs and pros side by side presenting the 60s, the 70s in B/W and in occasional color.

I guess everyone gets this a-ha moment every once in a while when studying old photographs. You realize all of the pics are manually focused, using low ISO sensitivities, make do with the grain. This should tremendously help with the GAS, no? In a way it helps, in another way it won't. GAS isn't just image quality for me.

But I digress. Can you recommend any good photography magazines that had online archives to the days before autofocus? Preferably something that can be viewed on PC.

Lens work

They have a few free issues out there, but with a subscription, you get access to their entire back catalog.

Not really. My wife bought me a Full Access subscription for Christmas and to be honest, I'm not impressed.

The website is a mess, and many areas that I dive into eventually wind up with a page to purchase content.

Back issues of the tablet edition of the magazine are a good example. I can download the last three. Anything more than that and there is a charge per issue.

An awful lot of the content seems to be audio snippets. Honestly I'm really not interested in listening to audio. If I was interested in that there is plenty on youtube.

Maybe I just haven't figured it out all of yet, but the site sorely needs the services of someone to organize to information better.

Last edited:
Aperture is a lot more of photographic philosophy and commentary, but you can pay a pretty small fee for month to month access to their huge library of back issues.

Thanks for mentioning that.

I was a member before the interwebs and still have some of the materials they sent at what was a very reasonable amount.

It's the same price as my LensWork sub. I'm gonna cancel that and do Aperture. If nothing else get them to convert it to 1 month at $10.

Thanks

Great! Aperture can be a bit art-school pretentious at times, not to mention a little weird, but when you strike gold, it can be pretty good. Their print magazine is certainly high quality production value.

Back