Really Random Shootout - Sigma DP2 Merrill vs Fuji 35mm f/1.4 and Fuji X-E1

Amin

Hall of Famer
For this next Really Random Shootout, I present a quick test of the Sigma DP2 Merrill and the Fuji 35mm f/1.4 and Fuji X-E1.

Both lenses were set to f/5, and the tripod was moved forward for the Sigma shot to keep the framing similar.

The test scene is the same as for yesterday's test.

The Sigma file was processed from RAW in Sigma Photo Pro 5.5 with sharpening set to -1.0, and the Fuji file processed in Lightroom 4.4 with sharpening set to 50. In each case, that was the max sharpening setting I could use without subjective oversharpening.

Center crop:

2013-06-03_2023.png

Left side:

2013-06-03_2019.png

Right edge:

2013-06-03_2022.png

RAW files for download:

Dropbox - Error

Thanks, tdp. I took a little shine off the Sigma photo by lowering the sharpening setting from default in SPP, but the edge to edge sharpness of that lens-sensor is absurd.

As usual that Foveon is absolute magic. Nothing can touch it.....at ISO100. Now for a comparison at ISO 1600 - as I'd love to see if things have improved any of late.

Wow, that Sigma really is something to see. Thanks for that. I understand the wider angle in the DP1M isn't quite to the level of the DP2M, but its still pretty astonishingly great for a 28mm equivalent lens. I can't wait to shoot with one... in good light....

-Ray

Imagine, if Sigma released a camera body with 2013 performance and functionality. They would dominate the digital market in a short period of time. It`s hair splitting, but the DP3M might be the best of the Merrills. The lens is incredible.

There is a used DP2M coming this way. I have buyer's remorse already since I rarely take photos in good light, but summer's coming so maybe it'll be OK. I just need to keep in mind that it's a role player and I'll be fine.

There is a used DP2M coming this way. I have buyer's remorse already since I rarely take photos in good light, but summer's coming so maybe it'll be OK. I just need to keep in mind that it's a role player and I'll be fine.
Niiiice so a DP2M and OMD with P20 shoot-out?

I think one interesting note from both Amin's various tests as well as others here is that many many cameras under the serious compact umbrella shine in their best photographic situations - almost like each has their own speciality type of subject or scene. The last year or so seems like the real golden age for advances with non DSLR bodies and lenses.

You want killer sharpness in a landscape? Grab the Sigmas.
You want fast autofocus? Nikon suits the bill
You want low-light steadycam in the rain? The EM5 is the way to go
You want OOC jpgs that emulate the feeling of film? Snag a Fuji
You dig old-school lenses and manual focus? Sony is for you

If I left out anyone's particular favorite I apologize, that list is just the ones I do/have owned or borrowed from friends.

I have to admit that I'm not blown away by the differences between the shots. I remember a comparison of the OM-D with 12-35mm vs DP2M where the OMD was looking like a toy camera, but this one seems really close. Maybe it's just me?

I have to admit that I'm not blown away by the differences between the shots. I remember a comparison of the OM-D with 12-35mm vs DP2M where the OMD was looking like a toy camera, but this one seems really close. Maybe it's just me?

I processed the Sigma with the sharpening dialed back because I'm a bit sensitive to luminance aliasing, but there is clearly more detail in the Sigma shot. Try processing both from RAW if you have time. Sigma's RAW processing app is a free download and fun to play with. I think you'll find the amount of detail in the file pretty stunning.

Back