Recent great experience making photobook

I recently made a photobook with MyPublisher (my fourth with them), the first with a photo cover (I had previously chosen linen-with-photo window and paper-wrap options). For this book (Carl's Corvettes) I chose their matte (rather than glossy) photo cover finish (no cost) option and I really like the result.
covers LoRes.jpg

I ordered two books on their recent 2-for-price of 1 special. When my book(s) arrived, I was delighted to find each was accompanied by a $20 gift card and a gift certificate for 10 Holiday cards!
package LoRes.jpg

My books were really first rate in all regards save the placement of a text box on one page. (This was my shake-down cruise with their version 7.0 software.) I followed the directions on the "Our return policy" card that also accompanied each book. Within 72 hours, I received an E-mail instructing me to resubmit the book (after making their recommended manuel corrections) and giving me a code number for a free re-print with expidited shipping! I wasn't even asked to return the flawed books. Now that is CLASS TREATMENT OF A CUSTOMER and the reason I will return to MyPublisher for all of my book needs!

These are nice people who treat their customers like valued friends. They deserve our support!

Streetshooter Don,

This book has 24 pages (12 paper sheets printed on both sides plus translucent endpapers) between its hardcovers with front/back photo surfaces. It is of MyPublisher's 8.75" by 11.25" Classic size. I paid $38.71 per book plus $14.98 to ship two of them.

George

Doc, thanks. Can you format on a Mac? I've tried a few different bookmakers but it became very tiresome. Any tips very much appreciated.
Thanks Doc, who's that George guy....?

Dear BB,

I'm sure you already have the inspiration! What is difficult is deciding on a topic (the title?) and amassing a sufficient number of related high-quality images to fill 20 or more pages! This 24 page effort used 43 pictures.

Dear Streetshooter,

I haven't owned a Mac in twenty years (wish I did!). Yup, formating a book can be time consuming. But any artistic effort requires some calories and some brain time. Relax and enjoy it!

George

Hello there,

I'm close to giving this a try but I'm worried about the difference between settings for screen versus print. I process most of my shots for screen viewing and wonder if that will be too dark for print.

May I ask how much processing you do to your photos for printing?

Thanks

Dear summerkl,

I confess to be a wholly amaturish photo-duffer. I operate without a properly calibrated monitor (mine is an LCD) or printer. I use Photoshop Elements 6 to edit my photos. (Yeah, I know this is seriously out of date - so am I!) I have found the AUTOFIX does a pretty good job of presenting images to most book publishers. I occasionally tweak highlights and shadow if they look blatantly bad. I am a JPG shooter, I don't bother recording RAW - I rarely don't want to spend 20 minutes trying to improve a 10 mS capture! Most of my "repairs" are cropping and spotting.

George

Last edited:
Thanks George, your information is very helpful. Every now and then I need a reminder to take a step back and quit obsessing about the details.

With your "push", I am going to dive off the deep end and get some photobooks done for Xmas presents this year.

Back