Fuji Recent Thoughts on the XE3

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Name
Steve
After my recent Disney World trip with the X-E3 as my only body with th 35 1.4 and the 50-230, I am convinced that the X-E3 is a excellent camera. It was unbeatable as a nighttime walkabout with the 35 and even better with any natural lighting, although Disney lights up the place as well as anyone. I was very pleasantly surprised at the X-E3 with the telezoom. The XH1 might have grabbed a few more shots but I was being bounced around pretty well in the "pseudo-safari" and I'm not sure it could have overcome that. With my feet on the ground the OIS was fine and the sharpness was very pleasing to the eye. Given how ridiculously lightness of the X-E3 body and how comfy it is with the left underhand lens grip, it's going to be my go to travel camera. The EM1 ii has great IBIS, but it's heavier and the XE3's sensor was better at high iso and IBIS can't stop the motion of the subject. I certainly find the noise of the XE3 close to the noise of the A7 at 6400. I may talk myself out of it at some point but it is really a great camera especially for the current price of $699. Most of all, I just flat out enjoyed using it as it felt like one of my old film cameras with the 35 on it.

Last edited:
I'm reviving this thread as I am considering picking up an X-E3 body from a well-known and trusted Asian retailer with whom I've done business before. I really don't need it but it sounds like a fun camera and I already have all of the "Fujicron" f/2 primes. The question is... is the X-Pro2 too much like it to be worth it?

I had an xpro1 and it’s smaller and quite a bit lighter. Other than that experience, the Pro has a nicer EVF. I would not be tempted to buy the xpro2 to replace my xe3.
Edit: By “it’s” I meant the XE3. :whistle:

Last edited:
I had an xpro1 and it’s smaller and quite a bit lighter. Other than that experience, the Pro has a nicer EVF. I would not be tempted to buy the xpro2 to replace my xe3.

I think for me the idea of an X-E3, which I can get new for less than $500, gives me a camera I can toss in the bag (or jacket pocket) without worrying if it gets damaged the way I would the X-Pro2. Of course, the XH-1 is a whole 'nother smoke. Different tool for a different job.

I am only thinking about this because I can get the camera so cheaply. Even the current very good U.S. MSRP of $699 would be too high for my needs.

I've enjoyed mine thoroughly for the type of shooting you're describing. Backup, and Casual. The resolution is frankly almost too much (I'm used to the XT1, and a lot of needs are purely web-based). I miss the tilt LCD, but the operational speed is QUICK, focusing is great in low light, it's small and light, ... just fills that role very well.

I was really hesitant to give up my Oly PEN-F. It was my "if in doubt", camera.

All that doubt went away when I had some quality hands on time with the X-E3.

My concerns of system sluggishness, poor AF speed were put to rest quickly. Fuji lenses were always sharp and rendered well...but the new weather sealed f/2 lenses balance well on that small body, AF quickly and accurately and just give me the warm and fuzzy when using them.

An unexpected pleasure for me is the ease in which you can create very close resemblances to film stocks with the film simulations feature. I tried to make this work with the PEN-F, but never was inspired by the Oly interface to take it seriously. I think Oly overcomplicated it.

After the fun and success I've had with the X-E3, I was drawn to pickup a used X-Pro2.

I had the xt20 but didn’t bond with it the same way. I was convinced it was the lack of IBIS. Then GAS led me to the XE3 and it just worked for me. I did have a Pen F but definitely prefer the XE3. I think @gryphon1911 has it right. It’s a small simple camera that functions well. It’s also a truly enjoyable camera to use with one of those nice Fuji primes. It’s been a pleasure to use this month with the 27. That little pancake makes it coat pocketable and sacrifices little optically.

I had the xt20 but didn’t bond with it the same way. I was convinced it was the lack of IBIS. Then GAS led me to the XE3 and it just worked for me. I did have a Pen F but definitely prefer the XE3. I think @gryphon1911 has it right. It’s a small simple camera that functions well. It’s also a truly enjoyable camera to use with one of those nice Fuji primes. It’s been a pleasure to use this month with the 27. That little pancake makes it coat pocketable and sacrifices little optically.

Just got my 27 in the mail yesterday. Hope to be able to muck with it sometime today.

I just pulled the trigger on a silver X-E3 for $599. More than I was planning to pay but with a full U.S. warranty.

I’ll be using mostly my 27mm f/2.8 on it for now. I may eventually add the 15-45mm zoom. That’s probably all I’ll need for this camera. But I have other Fuji lenses if necessary.
Close to my kit (15-45 + 18 + 27). I mainly use the 15-45 at the ends and like that it's just wider than 24mm eq. It's also no bigger than the 18mm f/2 with the hood.

Back