Film Recommend a place to develop and scan B&W film?

Amin

Hall of Famer
Can anyone recommend a lab to which I can mail film and get back the negatives plus scanned high-res digital files? Looking for good results, cost, turnaround time, etc.

I use Costco for color and Ilford XP2, but they only do C41 process.

I have a few that I have used... Two of them I found on ebay and the other is Walgreens..

The labs on ebay are:

Willow Photo Lab - Process Color & BW - Most film types (110, 620, 120, 220, 135) They do prints & scans. They also process Movie film with remjet! Seattle film Works rolls. Very reasonably priced. Best bargain is off their ebay bundles for developing & prints options.

Homefair Camera Store - If you want to push/pull film, this is the place as they don't charge extra for this service. I use them only for this purpose since finding Willow Photo Lab.

I wrote a blog post on my film blog about the labs I use and links to them.. Check it out!

Dwayne's Photo recently did a competent and inexpensive job for me, developing and scanning medium format black and white.

I've also had good results from The Darkroom. They're on the west coast, farther from me, but they post your scans on the web before you get your CD in the mail.

I have a few that I have used... Two of them I found on ebay and the other is Walgreens..

The labs on ebay are:

Willow Photo Lab - Process Color & BW - Most film types (110, 620, 120, 220, 135) They do prints & scans. They also process Movie film with remjet! Seattle film Works rolls. Very reasonably priced. Best bargain is off their ebay bundles for developing & prints options.

Homefair Camera Store - If you want to push/pull film, this is the place as they don't charge extra for this service. I use them only for this purpose since finding Willow Photo Lab.

I wrote a blog post on my film blog about the labs I use and links to them.. Check it out!

Hello - thanks for the post. Can I ask a couple of questions about you experience with Homefair Camera Store? Do they return your negatives? Cut or as a roll? Approximately how big are the scans? Quality? Thanks...

Hello - thanks for the post. Can I ask a couple of questions about you experience with Homefair Camera Store? Do they return your negatives? Cut or as a roll? Approximately how big are the scans? Quality? Thanks...
Hi...

Yeah they return your negs cut, or if you dont want them cut you can probably request that. The scans that I have gotten from them are about 10mp... I think thats medium to high... If you have film to push or pull process they are the ones.. No extra charge for that.

Hope that helps!

I have done most of my B&W processing at home but just sent out a roll of 120 and one of 35mm to Richard Photo Lab for processing and scanning. I did a lot of photo lab research before deciding on Richard, so hopefully they will live up to their stellar reputation! I'll report back in a week or two when I get my scans.

I don't think they do mail-ins, but if you live in the Seattle area, I can highly recommend Moonphoto Lab (http://www.moonphotolab.com/). I've had quite a few rolls of black and white run through them before I learned to develop it myself and they always came back looking great, as did the scans. I like that they give the film back to you uncut in archival sleeves. I still send my color film there.

The labs on ebay are:

Wow, I just looked at those Ebay stores, and their prices are seriously low! Do you have any full-res examples of scans they provided?

Wow, I just looked at those Ebay stores, and their prices are seriously low! Do you have any full-res examples of scans they provided?

No as I scan most of my stuff I send out… On my next order tho, I am having them scan 3 rolls of my 120 film shot with my Rollei.. i will post as soon as I get them.

Thx

I've tried a number of labs around and I have never been given scans anywhere near the quality I am able to get out of my OpticFilm 8100. If you have the time it's worth the effort.

Got my first scans back from Richard Photo Lab and I'd definitely recommend them as a lab.

The "medium" scans from 6x4.5 120 film are 2048x2796 pixels in dimensions, which is about what I use for Facebook posting and general sharing. I had them do one roll of HP5+ B&W process + medium scans, and several rolls of C-41 film with 'large' size scans. For the price differential, if there's anything I'm expecting to want to do more than FB posting or small prints I'd just as soon go for the larger scans; YMMV.

Sample B&W image attached. Nothing exotic, I think this was the first or second HP5+ test roll through the camera and I figured it'd be a good way to find out if I like the B&W processing from RPL.

Attachments

• 000009480003.jpg
    000009480003.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 329
Back