Recommendation for a photo technique book for a beginner

ajramirez

Hall of Famer
Name
Antonio
I would like a recommendation for a good book on digital photography technique for a beginner. I just gave one of my DSLRs to my 18 year old niece who is about to start college (in Barcelona, no less). She is a graphic artist, and very proficient in Photoshop, but a complete novice in Photography. I am thinking about a book that covers the basics on shutter speed, aperture, ISO, WB, etc. and how these affect the final picture. In essence, something that allows her to take the camera off of P mode.

Thank you in advance!

Cheers,

Antonio

I've been meaning to mention this book for ages. I picked one up on a whim about a year ago and I think it is excellent. It is well written, easy to understand and not condescending at all. Critically it is lavishly illustrated with really good photos as examples. Very highly recommended. Read This If You Want to Take Great Photographs: Carroll, Henry: 8601404213243: Amazon.com: Books

Took a look at the preview at amazon, and this looks to be the ticket. Thank you for the recommendation.

Cheers,

Antonio

I've been meaning to mention this book for ages. I picked one up on a whim about a year ago and I think it is excellent. It is well written, easy to understand and not condescending at all. Critically it is lavishly illustrated with really good photos as examples. Very highly recommended. Read This If You Want to Take Great Photographs: Carroll, Henry: 8601404213243: Amazon.com: Books

I definitely concur with this recommendation. I picked it up on a whim too when I was in New York and loved the book. I recently picked up another called Read This If You Want to Take Great Photographs of People which is laid out in the same format as the first. Both very good.

Back