Bags Recommendation for a single camera bag for carrying both a Ricoh GR and a Sigma DP3

Boid

All-Pro
Name
Rajiv
Hi, I need your help. Could someone please recommend me a bag to carry around my Ricoh GR and a Sigma DP3m?

I loved my previous Nat Geo sling bag, which had two separate pouches for two bodies and would fit the GR and X100 (in a pinch), plus a bunch of pockets for carrying memory cards and a deep back pocket where I could fit in my passport, etc.

NG_NG_4567_Small_Sling_Bag_m_3_2x.jpg

I tried cramming the DP3M in there and the zipper gave away, plus it was bulky and awkward.

I'm having trouble identifying a bag with a slim profile, as opposed to "cube-ish" bags that I find jostle around and are ungainly to walk around in.

I have a ThinkTank Retrospective 5, that's too big as a daily walkaround. I'm considering a Retrospective 3, but even that seems a bit bulky.

I'd like that it not look too much like a camera bag.

Thanks for your help!

Lowepro Streamline 150 or 250. I have the 250 and it's fantastic. The front zipper compartment has two padded sections that will hold two compacts, or a compact and a couple of small m43 or Leica M lenses, or anything of that size. The main compartment is quite nicely padded from the front and the back, and has an iPad sleeve with soft microfibre lining.

For me, the Ricoh GR and Pana LX7 go in the front two pockets, and the Pana GM1 or Ricoh GXR (about the same size as the Sigma DP3M) goes in the main compartment.

The strap is surprisingly wide for such a lightweight bag, which makes it more comfortable to shoulder for long periods of time. I have a Billingham Hadley Pro, two Thinktank Urban Disguise bags, and numerous other satchels from companies like Ecco and Cote et Ciel, and nothing is as comfortable and useful for carrying two or three compacts as the Lowepro Streamline 250. Leather and canvas can be too heavy, and many other camera bags are too boxy and jut out at inconvenient angles. Not this bag.

The bag itself is soft enough to mold to your body but firm enough to protect the goodies inside. It doesn't look like a camera bag, more like a flat nylon satchel that you'd see anyone carry. You can even unzip the main compartment to expand it for more storage space. The only thing I'd like is for the rear compartment to have a zippered closure, rather than being open. Apart from that, the bag is one of my favourite grab-and-go accessories.

http://www.lowepro.com/streamline

I tried to locate the ThinkTank Retrospective 3 (I have a 5 that fits my M10 with five(!) lenses and all accessories I need for a journey - love it), but no luck on ThinkTank's own site. Or do you mean the lens changer? They have a 2 and a 3 of that ... But I doubt that they'd fit the DP3m, or if it does, it'll be quite far down.

Anyhow, you might want to look at a Crumpler 3 Million Dollar Home - though IMO that's quite a silly name for a small, convenient bag with a big front flap for quick access (it can also be secured with a clasp). It looks quite like a camera bag, though. Actually, I liked the predecessor a bit better (no idea of the name of that one though, sorry).

M.

Lowepro Streamline 150 or 250. I have the 250 and it's fantastic. The front zipper compartment has two padded sections that will hold two compacts, or a compact and a couple of small m43 or Leica M lenses, or anything of that size. The main compartment is quite nicely padded from the front and the back, and has an iPad sleeve with soft microfibre lining.

For me, the Ricoh GR and Pana LX7 go in the front two pockets, and the Pana GM1 or Ricoh GXR (about the same size as the Sigma DP3M) goes in the main compartment.

The strap is surprisingly wide for such a lightweight bag, which makes it more comfortable to shoulder for long periods of time. I have a Billingham Hadley Pro, two Thinktank Urban Disguise bags, and numerous other satchels from companies like Ecco and Cote et Ciel, and nothing is as comfortable and useful for carrying two or three compacts as the Lowepro Streamline 250. Leather and canvas can be too heavy, and many other camera bags are too boxy and jut out at inconvenient angles. Not this bag.

The bag itself is soft enough to mold to your body but firm enough to protect the goodies inside. It doesn't look like a camera bag, more like a flat nylon satchel that you'd see anyone carry. You can even unzip the main compartment to expand it for more storage space. The only thing I'd like is for the rear compartment to have a zippered closure, rather than being open. Apart from that, the bag is one of my favourite grab-and-go accessories.

http://www.lowepro.com/streamline

Great recommendation! Plus it's cheap as chips. Being a bag addict (much like you by the looks of it :)) I'm getting one to try out right away.

I got the Lowepro Stremline 250. I quite like the size of the bag and it will fit in my iPad and passport while traveling. One issue with the bag is that the bottom part of the main compartment is not padded, but I had some extra foam separators from another camera bag which did the trick. Thanks for the recommendation!

Had seen this thread for the first time now. For two Sigma Merrils (DP1, DP3) I use a National Geographic NG2343 and could change the DP1 for a GR.

Every now and again I get a yen to buy another bag. At the moment it's an even race between the Crumpler Dry Red No 2 Boarding Bag, the Tumi Alpha 2 Cross Body bag, or having another crack at Billingham with the Stowaway Pola. The latter is unlike most Billinghams in that it has a number of zippered pockets, and a zippered main compartment, unlike the others that have annoying flaps everywhere.

But as I look at my Streamline 250, it occurs to me that it is entirely suited to carrying two or three small cameras and STOPPING me from overloading it with gear. I've found increasing niggles with carrying loads of gear in a bag, to the point where a even Leica body and a few lenses puts a kink in my spine after a few hours. The 250 is very light by itself, and because it works best with just a couple of small cameras, helps protect me from myself!

A Billingham Pola would achieve the same thing, but it would mean spending yet more money, haha. I may eat my words, come Christmas, though.

Back