Fuji Recommendation for a swiss-type clamp that securely holds the MHG-XT small base plate

dfmanito

Greetings everyone. I have been following this forum for some months now and am impressed with the breadth of useful information shared in this here. This is my first posting

I recently acquired the Fujifilm MHG-XT small baseplate with the thought of slapping my X-T1 on the swiss-type clamp of one of my old tripods and start shooting. The idea was to not have to use the baseplate that came with the tripod head plate since the MHG-XT has an swiss-type dove tail. What I found, unfortunately, was that the MHG-XT does not appear to be a standard sized swiss-type dove tail and the clamp did not hold the MHG-XT base plate securely. According to my crude calipers, the base dove tail groove width is 32mm and the max flange width is 38mm. However, the opening range on the swiss-type clamp of my tripod is 36-39mm. As you can see,this is not a good fit at all, since the lower end of the clamp opening range would need to go down to at least 32mm.

After searching through the message boards in this and other forums, I haven't yet found any mention of a swiss-type clamp that fits the dimensions of the MHG-XT dove tail that doesn't cost $700 (like the BH-40-LR system).

So, can anyone recommend a swiss-type clamp that securely fits the dimensions of the Fujifilm MHG-XT small baseplate dove tail?

Any assistance on this topic is greatly appreciated.

Is it possible that your head is not Arca-Swiss compatible...? I had a ballhead that had a quick release plate, but but it wasn't Arca-Swiss compatible, and only the plates it came with worked, and the Acra-Swiss plates didn't fit.

I have the MHG-XT and it works fine with my Sunwayfoto DB-52... which is overkill now since I had it when I had a DSLR, but the FB-36 wold be the one I would get if I did it over...http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/882954-REG/Sunwayfoto_FB_36_Ball_Head.html

Is it possible that your head is not Arca-Swiss compatible...? I had a ballhead that had a quick release plate, but but it wasn't Arca-Swiss compatible, and only the plates it came with worked, and the Acra-Swiss plates didn't fit.

I have the MHG-XT and it works fine with my Sunwayfoto DB-52... which is overkill now since I had it when I had a DSLR, but the FB-36 wold be the one I would get if I did it over...http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/882954-REG/Sunwayfoto_FB_36_Ball_Head.html
Thank you Mike! Inspired by your insight I went ahead and purchased the Sunwayfoto DLC-42 Duo-Lever Clamp. You were correct, the clamp on my old tripod head is fairly non-standard and is the reason why it did not hold my MHG-XT small baseplate securely. The new Sunywayfoto clamp appears the have a standard opening range and holds my baseplate perfectly.

Thank you Mike! Inspired by your insight I went ahead and purchased the Sunwayfoto DLC-42 Duo-Lever Clamp. You were correct, the clamp on my old tripod head is fairly non-standard and is the reason why it did not hold my MHG-XT small baseplate securely. The new Sunywayfoto clamp appears the have a standard opening range and holds my baseplate perfectly.

That's great.

Back