Sony recommendation? Legacy glass on a NEX?

wt21

Hall of Famer
I've got some legacy lenses for DSLRs, but I'd like to try some of the Leica/Voigtlander options.

Anyone have recommendations for such lenses on the NEX? I'm getting a NEX 3 + 16mm, so I think I have WA covered. What'd I'd like is a fast normal and a portrait. Anyone have any recommendations?

It's got a 1.5 crop factor, so why not a fast 35 and a 75? CV doesn't seem to make anything in between 50 and 75; I'd normally go 90mm, so that would mean 60, but I'm not seeing it.

I had a CV 50mm f1.5 which I really liked a lot but there was no adapter to NEX for Nikon S-mount at the time so I sold it when I sold my m43 camera. There is a really favorable review of it on Voigtlander Nokton 50 1.5 Lens Review | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS. I took a couple of casual portrait shots that wowed me - in skilled hands, I imagine someone could make it sing.

I just got a CV 75mm f2.5 - early impressions - solid build and feel, smooth firm controls, images are sharp wide open. At 112mm, it's might fit your portrait needs. I got mine for $250 on ebay which is a fair price I think.

I also have a CV 40mm f1.4 - I haven't had a wow feeling with this lens like I thought I would. It has a focus tab versus a focus ring, I'm getting used to it but it still feels strange. It is well liked on other forums so I have to give it the benefit of the doubt and keep working on my skills before I give up on it.

A "normal" lens on the NEX would be a 28mm. I bought a Kiron 28mm/f2 for 60$ + 20$ adapter and I'm quite happy with it.
For a portrait lens, I recommend the Helios 44-2 58mm/f2. Only about 50$ on Ebay.

Izhar

To keep costs down any of the above mentioned lenses will be good. The Sensor on the NEX is superb so images will be good. Pentacon lenses are very good for the money as are Konica Hexanon AR but i can not find an adapter for the NEX. They are available but i'm not sure from where. The 40mm f1.8 is THE Konica lens to go for. I like Voigtlander lenses and have the 25mm f/4 Snapshot Skopar which is super sharp. I intend getting the 35mm or 40mm f/1.4 Nokton Classic, 28mm f2 and maybe the 15mm f4.5. All in good time though!! The lens i really really want is the Carl Zeiss Distagon 25mm ZS (M42 fit) Probably the nicest image quality i have ever seen!! Leica are just far too expensive although very good.

Image from Voigtlander 25mm f/4 Skopar on a Olympus E-PL2 so on the NEX it should be slightly better!!!
View attachment 33775

I have some old Nikon 50mm and 35mm lenses and a sigma 105 macro and Tamron 90 macro. I am just waiting for the adapter to get here. It supposedly will work with both G and D Nikon lenses. But I was not any good at manual focus on the EPL-1. Is it any easier on the NEX5?

Also, at least one of the 50mm lenses has a bit of fungus on the back glass. Does that mean I might hurt the sensor by using it? Thanks!

I have a million and one legacy lenses that I use on my Olympus E-P1 and Canon 500D. I find 24, 35, and 50mm to be ideal for the E-P1. For the Canon with the larger sensor like your Sony I use either a 24 or 28mm and a 50mm. Sorry, no Leicas or Voigtlanders - none of my lenses are particularly exotic or expensive. Plenty of example shots on my flickr photostream. Each lens has it's own set so it's very easy to tell what's what!

Lucky.penguin's photosets on Flickr

I am pretty sure there are Hexanon NEX adapters on EBay. I actually just sold one (I was using it with a 40mm f/1.8 but I didn't like the 60mm equivalent.)

I think Hexanon and Konica mounts seem to be good bargains, since their flange distance precludes them from most modern SLR's.

That's true. The Hexanon 40/1.8 seems to have developed something of a cult status amongst m4/3 and presumably NEX users, but without much demand from Konica film users and none from Canon digital users the prices are still reasonable.

I've got some legacy lenses for DSLRs, but I'd like to try some of the Leica/Voigtlander options.

Anyone have recommendations for such lenses on the NEX? I'm getting a NEX 3 + 16mm, so I think I have WA covered. What'd I'd like is a fast normal and a portrait. Anyone have any recommendations?

Do look at zeiss zm lenses. They are M mount lenses and I say fits in-between CV and Leica. For portrait go for zeiss zm c-sonnar 50mm f1.5. I dont have a Nex yet but I got a c-sonnar on order. Hopefully it will be here by end of next week.

Back