Gadgets Recommendations for a DC 12V air compressor?

Kevin

Code Monkey 🐒
Well, here's a random question for the crowd... any recommendations for a portable DC 12V air compressor, preferably one that also has an AC adapter? :)

I've had a portal compressor as part of the gear I keep in the back of my vehicle for years now and I think it's finally died. It's a cheap unit that I picked up from Pep Boy's and is easily 15'ish years old. Time for a new one but there's some fancy new models out now that have stuff like digital readouts and included AC adapters for home use (or are they AC units with DC adapters? 🤔) with a huge gap in price range.

The ideal replacement would be something that is durable enough to survive being stored in the back of a vehicle (current one came with a storage bag that it's kept in), would be easily usable with both DC 12V and AC (so I don't have to have the truck running just to inflate my dog's favorite toy ball 😆), an easy to read PSI gauge, and maybe an option to set the target PSI for 'set & forget' operation?

Any recommendations? Any particular features I should be on the lookout for?

My son has one that we've used when down at his place to inflate various objects requiring air. I'll check with him as to what kind it is. I THINK it's both AC and DC 12V but can't remember it's been so long since we used it.

Now there is also the choice of USB-rechargeable self-contained units, and you set/store a target pressure level and it sits in your car ready for use (just make sure you check battery charge level from time to time, to determine when it needs another USB-connected charge). Much nicer than having to unwind a 12V cable to plug it in (and run the engine to power the 12V outlet) when you need a compressor.

Now there is also the choice of rechargeable self-contained units, and you set/store an end pressure level and it sits in your car ready for use (just make sure you check battery charge level from time to time, to determine when it needs another USB-connected charge). Much nicer than having to unwind a 12V cable to plug it in (and rund the engine to power the 12V outlet) when you need a compressor.
At the moment I don't recall seeing rechargeable units while looking around. HHhhhhmmmm. I did end up getting another 12V unit (link below); quality wise it's not the greatest (eg: silver that looks like metal but is really plastic) but it'll do till it breaks. Safe to assume that you have a rechargeable? Any recommendations on brand/model?

This is what I purchased for myself in late July...I have since had the need to use it twice (to reinflate one leaky tire about once per month!)...it has worked well for me, no complaints.
I still keep one similar to yours, as backup in case I failed to keep up the USB-charged one and need to resort to 12V without further delay.

I'm unaware of AC/DC portable compressors. If you want 12V only, I can strongly recommend a Viair unit (Portable Compressors | VIAIR Corporation). Back when I was into 4x4ing, I used the 400P model to re-inflate my 36" tires. It never seized up due to overheating and has been very reliable, I've had it for 15 or so years.

Back