Fuji Recommendations for a travel tripod?

kaito

Regular
Name
Dave
Hello all,

I thought I'd throw out a question to all about recommendations for a travel tripod?

I've been using an inexpensive Hama Traveller Compact Pro, weighs in at 1.4kgs, 55cms folded down and a respectable 163cms at full height. One of the leg fasteners is now broken and the tripod now slips down on that leg, although it's fine if I don't employ the lowest section of the legs. It's a ball and socket head, I'm not terribly keen on that feature.

So, any thoughts/experience of something similar?

I have the Benro travel angel tripod (TRCB269), I think it has been superseded now. It weighs around 1.7 kgs, about 45cm folded, full height is 160cm, being carbon fibre it's nice and light and one of the cool things about it is one of the legs can be disconnected and and be used as a monopod, I also got the leg monopod base accessory if you want to just use the monopod but want more stability. Despite purchasing it 5 years ago, it still looks brand new, even with all the abuse I have put it through.

I bought it from a small camera shop in Japan back in 2012. It's not a well known brand, but it's really well made, I don't know how much they go for these days second hand as the model was discontinued, but for what I paid back then and for what it is, it was a steal.

If you can find it somewhere or don't mind second hand, it's a good tripod.

Good day!

I currently have a Kirk BL-XT2 L-Bracket on my Fujifilm X-T2 and planning to get a Manfrotto Befree Live Tripod, which has a fluid head and a 501PL quick release plate. But I want to be able to attach the X-T2 in portrait mode position (as shown on the photo below), on the 501PL plate of the Befree Live tripod. I want to have the lens in line with the tilt/pan bar, so I can still use the upward/downward tilting function of the video head.

I am hoping some of you guys can recommend a cost effective Arca-type clamp or adapter which will screw on the 501PL plate, and will then allow me clamp the L-bracket on it.

Thanks in advance!

1479834058000_IMG_712457.jpg

1471447859000_IMG_671405.jpg

I have the Benro travel angel tripod (TRCB269), I think it has been superseded now. It weighs around 1.7 kgs, about 45cm folded, full height is 160cm, being carbon fibre it's nice and light and one of the cool things about it is one of the legs can be disconnected and and be used as a monopod, I also got the leg monopod base accessory if you want to just use the monopod but want more stability. Despite purchasing it 5 years ago, it still looks brand new, even with all the abuse I have put it through.

I bought it from a small camera shop in Japan back in 2012. It's not a well known brand, but it's really well made, I don't know how much they go for these days second hand as the model was discontinued, but for what I paid back then and for what it is, it was a steal.

If you can find it somewhere or don't mind second hand, it's a good tripod.

I'm considering one of the new Benros the FGP18A or C (if I feel rich). It has the same or similar rotating centre column (so can be used for low-level work) but also has the travel arrangement for folding the legs - which keeps the folded length down.

I'll second Benro. Great lightweight durable tripods. I have tortured mine for years and it's still going strong. I've had it in mud shooting offroad events. In the ocean severse times, including during a hurricane. Never done anything more than rinse it off. Still going strong.

Benro FGP18A arrives tomorrow I hope, will report back.

I have a specific picture in mind that will require some precise camera placement, so I'm hoping the adjustable centre column will come into its own.

So, the Benro arrived and it seems pretty good. The centre column rotation feature works well and it will let me get pretty low level. It is somewhat heavier than my old tripod but feels more solid. I'll hopefully get a chance to try it properly in the coming days.

Benro FGP18A has been sent back for a refund. The paint at the collar started flaking and Benro have said I need to return it under warranty. Unfortunately, I bought it from a shop but fulfilled by Amazon, which means I need to wait for Amazon to process the return before I can sort out a new one. I am thinking I might go for the slightly bigger TGL18A instead, but I will decide over the next couple of days I think.

I've ended up going for the Benro TMA28A, which is a conventional tripod with slightly wider legs but also comes with a short centre column - which will work better with the Benro Geared head I think.

Back