Leica Recommended LTM wide-angle - probably 28mm

stillshunter

Super Moderator Emeritus
Name
Mark
Well I'm enjoying getting to know my IIIf. The Summicron (50mm) has its quirks but I really like its balance of contrast and sharpness, well ultimately its rendering so far. The IIIf has been transformed since getting the SBOOI (50mm viewfinder) and that bright 1:1 view is a revelation. This VF has me thinking of the potential for other lenses and so far the only thing I've found myself needing is a wide angle. Having done some research Cosine Voigtlander (CV) can give me anything from 15mm in LTM mount.:cool: There are some local (Aussie) deals on either a CV 21 or 25 both with accessory VFs. I like the idea but the more I ruminate the more I wonder if a 28mm wouldn't be more sensible for day-to-day use. What do you think, is the next step best a 28mm?

If so, are there any 28mms you might recommend? So far the best proposition seems to be the CV28/3.5….

Cheers,
Mark

28mm is my widest for the rangefinder cameras. The Voigtlander lens- small, well suited to the IIIf. The Nikkor 28/3.5 in Leica Mount comes up on Ebay, is tiny. I have it in S-mount, a good lens. Same with the Canon 28/3.5.

28mm is my widest for the rangefinder cameras. The Voigtlander lens- small, well suited to the IIIf. The Nikkor 28/3.5 in Leica Mount comes up on Ebay, is tiny. I have it in S-mount, a good lens. Same with the Canon 28/3.5.
Thank Brian. I'd thought about the Canon 28/3.5 but it seems quite pricey - being more expensive in most cases than the Voigtlander. I assume the Voigtlander has a more modern higher contrast rendering than the Canon or Nikon? I've come to appreciate lower contrast with B+W film. I'll have a look for the Nikkor.

There's also a few Avenon 28/3.5 available? :hmmm:

Meanwhile Voigtlander 28/3.5 and Ultron 28/1.9 are going for very similar money. I don't really need speed - though it is handy to have available - is the f3.5 still the better option?

Ouch! My S-Mount 28/35 was $300.

If the 28/1.9 and 28/3.5 are about the same price- go for the 1.9! My 35/1.7 Ultron is a favorite.

Back