Refinishing project, watch it unfold

While being unemployed I decided to undertake the project of stripping down and refinishing my Mother's old rocking chair.

this chair was used for all three of her children and has fond memories.

First phase- Dismantle.

DSC09056.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC09052.JPG

DSC09059.JPG

DSC09060.JPG

Stage two Oct 21st

Today I started stripping and sanding down the various pieces. This took me four hours!

I still need to work in the crevasses I was, planning on using my Dremmel, but the battery was dead. I plan on re-staining it a similar color, so I am not too concerned about getting every bit of stain off in the small crevasses.

DSC09098.JPG

DSC09100.JPG

The problem with removing stain vs paint is that stain is in the wood and removing the wood is the only way to remove the stain. You could go with a darker stain color and it would save you some time, unless you want to go down to bare wood. Looking good so far.

Dave, my friendly neighborhood pharmacist has one of those (looks exactly like your photos) in his waiting area. It is without doubt the most comfortable chair I've ever sat in. And that came as a huge surprise to me, considering it's all hardwood with no padding anywhere. Since I first discovered it, I never call-in prescriptions for pick up anymore. I'd rather wait for 'em and enjoy his rocking chair!

Looks like a great project, especially the inlay work. Thanks for sharing it.

Cool. No idea where the got it from, no manufacturer stamp or label to be seen.

And yes it is suprizingly comfortable.

Dave, my friendly neighborhood pharmacist has one of those (looks exactly like your photos) in his waiting area. It is without doubt the most comfortable chair I've ever sat in. And that came as a huge surprise to me, considering it's all hardwood with no padding anywhere. Since I first discovered it, I never call-in prescriptions for pick up anymore. I'd rather wait for 'em and enjoy his rocking chair!

Looks like a great project, especially the inlay work. Thanks for sharing it.

Back