Reflecting back on my X-E1 and X-E2 (My love story with the Fuji X system thus far)

I keep watching the development of the Fuji system. I really would like to jump in, for various reasons.

Coming from the old OM and Minolta film era, the Fujis, just look right, and bring back the tactical controls, that real equipment "should" have.
I crave a higher level of "clean" detail, with less digital noise, for landscape/nature work.
The fuji's slightly larger bodies, actually would be an advantage, for old arthritic hands.( DSLR would work fine for that, but, I don't want to go back to the "flopping" mirror.)

Now, the why nots.
Cannot afford to keep feet, in both systems.
Amazed at how many people leave m4/3 for a while, and then return, in spite of the many "disadvantages".
I've been in the 4/3, m4/3 camp, ( with a few excursions outside) for several years, beginning with the E-500, and several models, leading to the "stopgap" E-pm1, I am holding until my daughter visits from out of state. We now have 6 and maybe 7 members of my immediate family with m4/3 cameras, spread across several states. (It makes it handy for trading gear)
It seems un-daddy like, to get everyone "in", and then jump ship. :eek:
And, better, is not always better. (greener grass) What I've been using for several years, has been, and is still working. But being human, I still want to try that grass on the other side. :)

So I still hang around here, looking.

I understand your predicament, especially if you're so much invested in micro four thirds already. I suspect a lot of those who left m4/3 and came back were early adopters when AF was still an issue. I crossed over not necessarily looking for greener pastures but to try out what all this fuss was about. I did my research and knew about the AF issue going into Fuji; maybe that's why I didn't come out disappointed. Overall, the pros outweighed the cons for me by a substantial degree. Fast forward 9 months, here I am now -- full-on Fuji. :clap2:

Since the X-E2 came out (and now with the X-T1), the biggest argument for micro four thirds (AF issue) has dissipated. Fuji's lenses are bigger but not much bigger and they're all top notch with the kicker being that none of them cost an arm and a leg (e.g. Panasonic and soon-to-be released Olympus pro zooms). For me, AF was never the driving motivation but rather the 5-axis IBIS. Yes, I miss it and may pick up an E-M6 down the line.

The biggest debate is image quality. I believe that micro four thirds is more than "good enough" for most photographers' needs so we'll leave it at that. But I will provide a concrete example to attest to what's attractive about Fuji -- my wifey. My wife stuck with MFT when I migrated over. We frequently go out and shoot together so when we compare images from our photo shoots, she sees the differences with image quality, mainly with noise level, white balance, and color rendering. I did her a favor and sold some of her lenses and picked her up a gorgeous, sleek brown X-M1 (500usd) with the 27/2.8 pancake (200usd) and 60/2.4 macro (400usd). She got to keep her E-M5, 25/1.4 and 75/1.8. Now, she's coming around to the decision of selling it all and picking up an X-T1.

It's not too late to re-invest the family in Fuji. If anything, you'll be able to capitalize on the ongoing sale. :cool:

Thanks for sharing. I went the other way. I have an X100 and XE1 and was about to order the XT1 from Henry's, the grip deal was great plus the conversion factor discount.

But focus speed was unknown plus I love how Olys are just very eager to shoot. Also Oly face detection is the best i have used. The fact that Oly had a deal on the EM5 plus 12-40 for $1200 made it too hard to resist.

Now, that's a great deal on that combo kit. I can't blame you for going that route.

I do have to correct you on one thing -- XT-1's focus speed was not really an unknown. If the X-E2's fast AF was any indication, the X-T1 can only be better and it is (tons of reviews online). But it's the predictive AF that really works (actual reports from forum members) that in my mind puts it above the E-M1.

P.S. Face detection on the X-E2 works really well, too, I've heard. Don't really use it personally though so can't truly vouch for it in that regard.

AF speed is not an issue for me, but accuracy is. The noise issue in 43/m43, especially in low light has always been the worst disappointment for me.

Accuracy was never an issue I believe in either micro four thirds or Fuji X. Even my X-E1 would always nail focus as long as the AF box showed a green light. Accuracy in C-AF, on the other hand, is a big issue with ALL mirrorless systems and the hybrid PDAF/CDAF solutions made it better but only by a bit. By all reports, the predictive tracking on X-T1 works which is ok if I were a betting man. Thing is I'm not, I'm always skeptical by nature and will reserve judgment till I try it out myself.

Mickey, thanks for the write-up. Very much sum up my experience with x-e1 after owning for 4 weeks.
High ISO performance and the discount (could not resist $720 for the kit) is really made me to try out Fuji X system. So far, I am impressed. To put into perspective, high ISO level of fuji X-E1 compared to D7000 and EM-5 that I feel comfortable to shoot with

Fuji X-E1 - auto ISO to 3200
Nikon D7000 - auto ISO to 1600
Oly EM-5 - auto ISO to 1000 (most of the time to 800 as IBIS work so well, and I mostly shoot static subject)

I don't think I will get rid of EM-5 yet, its IBIS is invaluable at long range. I will need to evaluate 56mm 1.2 and 55-200mm see if that work for me before totally committing to X system.

Mickey, thanks for the write-up. Very much sum up my experience with x-e1 after owning for 4 weeks.
High ISO performance and the discount (could not resist $720 for the kit) is really made me to try out Fuji X system. So far, I am impressed. To put into perspective, high ISO level of fuji X-E1 compared to D7000 and EM-5 that I feel comfortable to shoot with

Fuji X-E1 - auto ISO to 3200
Nikon D7000 - auto ISO to 1600
Oly EM-5 - auto ISO to 1000 (most of the time to 800 as IBIS work so well, and I mostly shoot static subject)

I don't think I will get rid of EM-5 yet, its IBIS is invaluable at long range. I will need to evaluate 56mm 1.2 and 55-200mm see if that work for me before totally committing to X system.

I remember being able to go to 1250 ISO on RAW or 1600 if I got the exposure right and didn't have to recover any shadow detail/exposure.

Even the Fuji's can give noise but it's more organic looking and usually doesn't even show up on computer screens.

For me the E-M'5s IBIS was invaluable at the shorter ranges. Up to 1.6 secs handheld shots with the 12mm for example vs only 1/8secs on the 18-55 OIS. I wouldn't worry at all at longer OIS. The 55-200's OIS is also good for a 4-stop advantage. My personal best on the Oly 75-300 was 1/15 while my personal best on the 55-200 was 1/30, not that big of an advantage. Maybe with the primes, yes. Like I handhold the 75/1.8 down to 1/8secs as well and get sharp portraits.

Mikey, have you had the XT1 long enough to make a judgement on AF performance?

Just got it today. Haven't had much time to play with it. With my 56/1.2 attached to it, it AF's just as fast as my old Olympus E-M5. I'm sure the AF performance will vary based on the lens attached.

I'll let you know once I've tested it out for a while.

Back