Advice Wanted Release required?

I have this shot. It was taken at a huge public event (the U.S. Gran Prix in Austin last year). I got mom's consent verbally, but no written release.
Can I use it in an ad proposal without written release since it was at a public event?
PA220123.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I have this shot. It was taken at a huge public event (the U.S. Gran Prix in Austin last year). I got mom's consent verbally, but no written release.
Can I use it in an ad proposal without written release since it was at a public event?
View attachment 308510
I don’t know, and I know it’s not helpful at this point, but this is a perfect example of the voice recording feature on cameras for capturing names and releases for stuff and having it attached to the photo essentially. If you do this often enough, you should give it a whirl. Works well, and your camera does have that feature. I hope that’s helpful in the future.

Hopefully someone can answer your original question!

I don’t know, and I know it’s not helpful at this point, but this is a perfect example of the voice recording feature on cameras for capturing names and releases for stuff and having it attached to the photo essentially. If you do this often enough, you should give it a whirl. Works well, and your camera does have that feature. I hope that’s helpful in the future.

Hopefully someone can answer your original question!
Does a voice recording pass muster as a photo release these days?

If it's for advertising purposes, and the kid is promoting an event or saying that she loves her glasses or beads, then most likely, yes, you would need a release.

Editorial, no.
She was going to be my "Fancy Woman" for generally promoting the race in Texas. No specific product endorsement. More like "Come to Texas for the Fancy ladies ... and the racing." Sort of ad.

I was a wedding shooter. I don't know editorial vs promotional from my keister.

If it was for editorial purposes, such as a news story, and it was shot at a public event, then a release is probably not needed. However, for advertising purposes where money is exchanged for the right to the shot for promoting a product, then you will need a release.

Does a voice recording pass muster as a photo release these days?
I can only say I know professional photo journalists that use the voice feature to capture that info for their respective publishers. Mostly ‘what’s your name and how do you spell it’, but those photos get published then. But that’s not for profit publication either.

If it was for editorial purposes, such as a news story, and it was shot at a public event, then a release is probably not needed. However, for advertising purposes where money is exchanged for the right to the shot for promoting a product, then you will need a release.!
That's what my gut has been telling me. Too bad. Such a cutie!! And they were looking for shots that they could use to promote C.O.T.A. (Circuit of the Americas)

Back