Fuji Remote release options?

Lensflare

Regular
Being something of a hi tech reject, there is no way I am using my phone to work the camera, how clumsy is that? Is there a remote release available that anyone knows of please? I can't find anything. When I say remote release NO WIRES, so not one of those intervalometer things.
Thanks.

Being something of a hi tech reject, there is no way I am using my phone to work the camera, how clumsy is that? Is there a remote release available that anyone knows of please? I can't find anything. When I say remote release NO WIRES, so not one of those intervalometer things.
Thanks.
Out of luck with that . None that I know of. I guess you are meaning some sort of ir push button device ?

I bought a little button that fires the remote setting on my Nikon P7800 compact. It works from a good 20 feet away, provided the sunlight is not straight at it. I think it is infra red. Cost £2.99 and works brilliantly, I can set the release for 10 seconds, push the tit and it starts the countdown, which gives me the chance to take up position and wait for the exposure. But then I have to go back to the camera to ready it for another shot. I was hoping the Fuji would have such a simple system as well - maybe it is too simple for the Fuji guys to take seriously. I don't want wires running about the place, plus that limits you to reach.

I am no good at doing searches, I never seem to know to call things the right thing for the search to work - all I got was those intervalometers on a wire as a remote release. Dozens of them. I couldn't get a single response for one without a wire attachement.

Not sure what you're doing but, for tripod work, I used to use a short cable release that I bought for a dollar back in the 1970s until I discovered I could accomplish the same thing using the 2 Sec/10 Sec timer in my X-E2 or X-T2.

I need to be able to set the camera up and fire it from my position some distance away - no wires and no physical connection to it. Think, like up a mast of a yacht with me on the deck....that kind of thing. Or set up one side of a river, and me in the water fishing....timer will be used, but fired by wireless of some sort. My Nikon compact has this facility and is what I have used until I got the Fuji. Surely a camera costing 10x as much will have the means ?

What you need depends on how far out in the river you are. You should be able to use any electronic remote that plugs into your Fuji camera. Sounds like you can probably use the same kind of remote that you used on your Nikon. But 20 ft is not far and the WiFi app allows you to see what the camera is seeing, change focus points, and remotely fire. I have no idea what the range is but you can experiment since the app is free. Infra-red is line of site and limited in distance unless you are looking at high cost military or security applications. Same for bluetooth.

Thanks for the help. I understand the limitation of infra red, but it has worked fine up to now for what I need. The only drawback is it is a one shot option - or one string of shots (you can set it for 5 consecutive, motordrive, shots), then have to go back and reset it to do another one. Although I expect you could turn off the 'review the picture' setting, but I have not worked out how to do that, so am stuck trotting to and fro, it keeps me fit!

I have never used an 'app', of any sort. My mobile is only a cheapie, £10 phone that does texts and phone calls (Nokia 3100) and doesn't have a screen, other than to show the number you are calling. Funnily enough, as a professional photographer, I use a camera to take pictures, not a telephone! I find it quite bizarre that telephones have become such a master to peoples' lives. I wouldn't take an expensive mobile phone out in the river with me, I just know it would get drowned or lost!

The button method would be fine, but is there one for the Fuji? Plenty for Nikon and Canon. I can't find one in the Fuji list.

Did you look at the link I posted above? That's the best option available for what you are trying to do. Aside from using the mobile app.

As far as cell phones go, a lot of "professionals" use their phones as their pocket point n shoot camera as they have gotten quite good. You shouldn't knock something you don't understand and haven't used.

Talking of remote releases and smartphones. I have a Hisy Bluetooth release to control my iPhone shutter. It works great. Shame camera manufacturers can’t develop similar. Just pair it once and that’s it. And if it’s been In my bag for a week, just press it once and it’s ready to go again . I really do think WiFi control via a smartphone app is great. But it’s not exactly fast to set up. And imo Fuji has the best there is in that dept. I’ve had Sony and Panasonic.
The little Nikon ir release was/is pretty good, but sometimes bright light can get in the way. And you definitely need an ir receiver on the front and back of the camera

Thanks for the help. I understand the limitation of infra red, but it has worked fine up to now for what I need. The only drawback is it is a one shot option - or one string of shots (you can set it for 5 consecutive, motordrive, shots), then have to go back and reset it to do another one. Although I expect you could turn off the 'review the picture' setting, but I have not worked out how to do that, so am stuck trotting to and fro, it keeps me fit!

Set Screen Setting -> Image Display to OFF and you will not have an image review after the shot.

Thanks.
I find the phone interface works quite well, have you tried it yet?

I don't have a phone that will do it. Not buying one either! I quite like that delivery men can't find our house (it has only been here since 1674 ! ) I also like that people can't get hold of me if I turn my phone off. It is very liberating. It is also quite satisfying to know you are making life difficult for a slave to the system by not being 'connected' I think is the modern term. :D

I am supposed to be retired, but I am still getting work. I would rather be fishing or riding my motorbike - or riding to go fishing is the best.:dance2:

Did you look at the link I posted above? That's the best option available for what you are trying to do. Aside from using the mobile app.

As far as cell phones go, a lot of "professionals" use their phones as their pocket point n shoot camera as they have gotten quite good. You shouldn't knock something you don't understand and haven't used.

I did look and saw it was for Nikon...I have gone back and looked again and see it is for Fuji too! I will explore the 'shipping to UK' opportunity next week, when I have some money, hopefully. Being 'retired' but with no pension and no crash payout yet, money is a bit tight. That is coming closer to being sorted though.

The receiver mounts to the hot shoe. And this is RF, not I, so line of sight is not necessary. Amazon UK carries Vello, so you should be able to find it on there and save the shipping from the US.

Wow, how do you know Amazon Uk has it? You're in America! Amazing. I don't even know how to get hold of Amazon over here. I can't find a telephone number for them. As I say, it will be when I have some money, but that doesn't seem too expensive.

Wow, how do you know Amazon Uk has it? You're in America! Amazing. I don't even know how to get hold of Amazon over here. I can't find a telephone number for them. As I say, it will be when I have some money, but that doesn't seem too expensive.

???? Am i missing something here ?

I did a quick double check to verify that they still carried Vello. It's there when you have the funds.

Something has just occured to me.... The XT2 has a built in intervalometer. If I set the shot up, with the camera to shoot a picture every second.....I don't need a remote release, I just need to ditch about 15 shots from the start of the sequence because they will be empty. From then on, I would have a choice. Some will be at the wrong moment, of course, but this obviates the need for a remote altogether!

I have never used the intervalometer feature on any camera, so need to get reading. i think I have found the best answer to my problem. How come nobody else thought of it? All you techy gurus and anoraks!

Back