Advice Wanted Requesting advice and tips for photographing a wedding

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Hall of Famer
Name
Ovi
Hello, a friend of mine asked me (wellore like volunteered me at emotional gun point) to photograph her wedding, it's not going to be a big event, just a main family and a couple of friends at the legal office and at home before that. She specifically wanted not a professional because it's going to be very small and short and wants a few pictures for memories.
I haven't tried anything like this since my sister's wedding 10 years ago. Any advice and tips would be helpful as I will be full hands on trying to keep my people anxiety in control și focusing on photography will help me with that.
My setup will be quite limited, the only camera I have is the Sony a7R II (and I do worry a bit about AF in low light) and 2 AF lenses: Tamron 28-75mm f 2.8 G2 and Tamron 150-500mm f 5-6.7 (which is quite impractical to use even for portrait outdoors, though it does feel more reasonable at 150mm).
I don't expect to make more then 50 pictures indoors and maybe 25 more outdoors if the weather is cooperative.

(I do wish I had a 35ish f 1.4-1.8 prime for a bit more environmental and indoor low light)

You need a plan.

A coherent set of wedding pictures, regardless of photography style whether it be formal or informal, laid out end to end, will tell a story.

Pictures before the ceremony would often include groom and best man, bride's mum and bridesmaids, bride and her dad, plus any hired vehicles they arrived in.

Photographs during the ceremony depend upon the venue - you need to find out what is allowed.

Signing the register is an important shot - it's an opportunity to photograph bride and groom + parents + bridesmaids/best man. If it's a church you may get a picture with the vicar/couple.

Afterwards, the married couple (headshots and full length), bridesmaids, parents, best man. Get a list of which immediate family are needed for pictures (if that's what they want).

It's a misconception that 'relaxed' photographs are not posed or set up. If the bride's in a traditional wedding dress, don't forget to get a picture of the back of it.

Photograph everything they've paid for - cars, cakes, venues, rings, flowers etc etc.

Ask a friend that shoots the same gear to borrow said "lens" Rent one for the day. Good luck

@L0n3Gr3yW0lf 👆 This is an important point because you also need spares of everything - not necessarily duplicates, just something to fall back on if your main gear fails or if someone knocks it out of your hands.

Back to planning - I'm sure by now you are thinking about what pictures you are going to get. Make a list with the couple.

Remember to ask them to build enough time in to the schedule for you to take the photos they have asked for.

There are a few quirky things that you only see at weddings so you won't be used to photographing them. Flowers need to be at waist level tilted slightly towards the camera - NOT right up under their boobs unless you are taking a head shot. Be wary of private cars - professional drivers will remove the grease from door stays and locks do it doesn't get on the bride's clothes. I tended not to shoot the bride in a private car doorway for this reason unless the dress was tight fitting.

Presumably they are going for food afterwards? Anything at this venue needs to be thought through - you need to be strict about asking for their time so you can do what they have asked you to do. Once people are handed a drink, they slow down.

So long as you have a plan, you'll be fine.

Last edited:
👆 This is an important point because you also need spares of everything - not necessarily duplicates, just something to fall back on if your main gear fails or if someone knocks it out of your hands.

If you have a laptop, take it with you (you could get the reception venue to look after it if you are not in your own car) - back up your memory cards before you leave.
There won't be any venues or churches, it's literally just the signing at the register and a few family group pictures (depending on the weather), the whole thing is going to be around one hour. (Their full on wedding with venue and church is going to be done at a different date and in a different country so I won't be their photographer for that)

So far her specific requests (I talked to her about it yesterday) are picture of the flowers, the ring, their hands, their signing and family group picture. (I do plan on shooting sequential speed to get as many unique expressions as 5 FPS will allow me).
I have rented the Tokina ATX-M 85mm f 1.8 which should arrive this Wednesday so I will have some time to get used to it (I love the rendering and the sharpness I have seen so far from the samples from other photographers).
I am thinking about purchasing either the Samyang 35mm f 1.4 AF or Samyang 35mm f 1.8 AF or Sony 35mm f 1.8 (at the moment I am favouring the 2nd option because of its optical performance and price. I should be able to afford it with the wedding cost)

There won't be any venues or churches, it's literally just the signing at the register and a few family group pictures (depending on the weather), the whole thing is going to be around one hour. (Their full on wedding with venue and church is going to be done at a different date and in a different country so I won't be their photographer for that)

So far her specific requests (I talked to her about it yesterday) are picture of the flowers, the ring, their hands, their signing and family group picture. (I do plan on shooting sequential speed to get as many unique expressions as 5 FPS will allow me).
I have rented the Tokina ATX-M 85mm f 1.8 which should arrive this Wednesday so I will have some time to get used to it (I love the rendering and the sharpness I have seen so far from the samples from other photographers).
I am thinking about purchasing either the Samyang 35mm f 1.4 AF or Samyang 35mm f 1.8 AF or Sony 35mm f 1.8 (at the moment I am favouring the 2nd option because of its optical performance and price. I should be able to afford it with the wedding cost)

I realised that and edited but not before I posted it!

Enjoy yourself - it's a good one to start on.

Last wedding I shot was as a non-pro in 2008 using my E-510 and its two humble kit lenses, plus a very basic on-camera flash for the reception.

The bride and groom preferred my images to those of the highly paid professional and assistant using pro Canon gear ...

Some of the better photos here:

All the rest here:

They insisted on my putting them on my web site, so they would be available for the ceremony in Sweden about a week later.

Last wedding I shot was as a non-pro in 2008 using my E-510 and its two humble kit lenses, plus a very basic on-camera flash for the reception.

The bride and groom preferred my images to those of the highly paid professional and assistant using pro Canon gear ...

Some of the better photos here:

All the rest here:

They insisted on my putting them on my web site, so they would be available for the ceremony in Sweden about a week later.

Love the way the 'pro' posed them cutting a cup cake. Think he got a bit stuck in his routine :)

Love the way the 'pro' posed them cutting a cup cake. Think he got a bit stuck in his routine :)
Richard, they insisted that I give them every photo I took - the good, the bad and the downright ugly! Many are no better than family snaps, especially at the reception. Just set my old 1970s flash to go off, and hoped for the best! Used the 40-150 a lot at the reception.

I didn't even know about trigger voltages back then. The flash had a trigger voltage of well over 150V. I'm flabbergasted that it didn't fry my E-510, which supposedly has a maximum TV of around 10-15V! All the 'Pro' Olympus bodies will handle the often very high TV of old flashes, but the lower echelon will end up with a dead main board in the camera

All the photos on my web site were mine, with a single exception. I have a full size copy of all the pro's. His biggest mistake was shooting JPEG! And failing to capture specific images, such as the bridal car, etc. His equipment could and should have eaten mine for a snack! He did not use it well. Of course, it would be grossly improper to publish any of the pro's photos without his consent, other than the one of me.

A checklist of shots required is an essential IMHO. And using it ...

Richard, they insisted that I give them every photo I took - the good, the bad and the downright ugly! Many are no better than family snaps, especially at the reception. Just set my old 1970s flash to go off, and hoped for the best! Used the 40-150 a lot at the reception.

I didn't even know about trigger voltages back then. The flash had a trigger voltage of well over 150V. I'm flabbergasted that it didn't fry my E-510, which supposedly has a maximum TV of around 10-15V! All the 'Pro' Olympus bodies will handle the often very high TV of old flashes, but the lower echelon will end up with a dead main board in the camera

All the photos on my web site were mine, with a single exception. I have a full size copy of all the pro's. His biggest mistake was shooting JPEG! And failing to capture specific images, such as the bridal car, etc. His equipment could and should have eaten mine for a snack! He did not use it well. Of course, it would be grossly improper to publish any of the pro's photos without his consent, other than the one of me.

A checklist of shots required is an essential IMHO. And using it ...
Nooooo.....I'm not suggesting you've got the pro's photos John. From the angle and where they are looking, I figured they were 'cutting the cake' for the pro and you got a shot from the side.

The last wedding I photographed that was like this- used the 85/1.8 Nikkor (Manual Focus) on the Nikon Df for most pictures, a 35/2 Nikkor for the wider shots. No pro at that wedding, the "Planner" had a P&S. The Bride and Groom were happy with the Df shots. If I had to do it today, I would also pack the Polaroid. Years ago I did that at a wedding, and it was very well received. Some friends had gotten together for the wedding that had not seen each other in a long time. They got to take Hard Copy home.

Get a list of the guests, and any family. Make sure to get a picture of the friends in the group, and family. Steal the Bride and Groom to get in the photographs, take them around to pose with groups of 4~6 that cluster together naturally. Years down the road- they will appreciate that.

What would be preferable for the situation is two bodies each with a different lens: zoom on one and fast prime on the other. Don't bother taking the bazooka zoom at all!

Don't stress - they are your friends and want some memories of the day, nothing elaborate.

Don't be scared to shoot at high ISO (if too noisy, you can always convert to arty B&W) ;)

Years ago I did a wedding and a trend at the time was to have disposable cameras left on each dinner table for the guests to take pics of each other.

The best man got wind that the bride's mum had promised to get the photos developed before they came back from honeymoon.

Groom, Best Man and Ushers scooped up every single disposable camera and headed to the toilets with them, later returning them with a few 'special' photos taken on each one :)

Shoot in burst mode. 5-8 shots at a time. Someone always closes their eyes. When shooting candids make sure your shutter speed is fast enough to freeze the action, unless you are trying to get blurred motion.

I'm in the same boat, my brother can't afford a photographer for his wedding next year so has guilt tripped me into being the photographer... being both the photographer and a guest is going to be challenging. Not sure if I've come in too late to give some help with the prep that I've been doing, but here's my two penneth...
  • Plan, plan and plan. As an engineer, over thinking is my modus operandi, so I'm already thinking about their wedding even though it's not until next summer, but it's not easy to get into the mindset. Write everything down, go over it and refine it until you are comfortable with the plan.
  • Watch You Tube videos of wedding photographers. Taylor Jackson (https://www.youtube.com/@TaylorJacksonPhoto) is probably the most relatable one I've come across so far, and he has videos of full days which are pretty good as a reference.
  • From the YT videos the advice on lens choices seems to be to use 2 primes with good separation in focal lengths (35mm & 85mm seem to be the go to choice), but to have a good quality zoom (which you have) for the ceremony as there is a need to change focal lengths quickly so as not to miss anything important (no chance of a do-over here). Not that zooms can't be used, but that using primes gives different looks for each focal length and by using zooms the gaps in between can end up being filled in which can muddy the overall look/feel of the set of photos. If you are worried about not having fast primes then you could rent 1 or 2 (and ask the couple to help with the cost of doing so). I've been looking at rentals from a few UK stores (Lens Hire | Lens Rental | Lens Pimp, Hireacamera - Lens Hire or Rental, https://rental.wexphotovideo.com/hire-lenses, Lenses for Hire, Lenses for hire), I shoot M43 and I've got 50mm (25mm f1.7) and 90mm (45mm f1.8) primes and a good quality zoom and I'm looking to add the 12-40mm f2.8 so I'm probably covered, but, like you I'm thinking I need something wider so may rent a fast 35mm equivalent (17mm f1.7 or maybe even the 17mm f1.2... but the 17mm f1.2 would make me want to rent the other f1.2 primes!).
  • Work with the couple to create a shot list for the day that they sign off on. That way you can be sure that you get everything they want (and agree to), and anything else you get is a bonus. You can search for shot lists online as a starting point (happy to share mine if you want).
  • For indoor shots to cover the wedding breakfast, speeches and evening do, I'd look at off camera flash. A judiciously positioned single speedlight on a stand can help with balancing light in indoor scenarios where natural light is either not available or is in the wrong place for the shots that are needed, and can mitigate for slower lenses (or in my case noise from a smaller sensor). If you have a speedlight but not a means of triggering it off camera then you can get away with a simple universal trigger like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06VW4X...olid=3UMEYDB7TJFL6&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it. If you don't have a speedlight then almost any would be ok and doesn't necessarily have to be matched to your camera (unless you want to use it on-camera) so could be borrowed from another photographer if you don't want to buy one.
  • Check out images from other photographers at the venue for the wedding for ideas, and, if possible, visit the venue to scout for potential locations for shots. Also, I've been making an online scrapbook (using google slides) of images both taken at the venue and of shots that you might want to have a go at from a creative POV.
  • Have a look at where sunrise/sunset, moonrise, milky way and any other landscape type phenomenon that might be nice to include in wow shots. I use https://photoephemeris.com/, which is free to use on a laptop, to plan for sunrise/sunset/moonrise/moonset shots.

I'm in the same boat, my brother can't afford a photographer for his wedding next year so has guilt tripped me into being the photographer... being both the photographer and a guest is going to be challenging. Not sure if I've come in too late to give some help with the prep that I've been doing, but here's my two penneth...
  • Plan, plan and plan. As an engineer, over thinking is my modus operandi, so I'm already thinking about their wedding even though it's not until next summer, but it's not easy to get into the mindset. Write everything down, go over it and refine it until you are comfortable with the plan.
  • Watch You Tube videos of wedding photographers. Taylor Jackson (https://www.youtube.com/@TaylorJacksonPhoto) is probably the most relatable one I've come across so far, and he has videos of full days which are pretty good as a reference.
  • From the YT videos the advice on lens choices seems to be to use 2 primes with good separation in focal lengths (35mm & 85mm seem to be the go to choice), but to have a good quality zoom (which you have) for the ceremony as there is a need to change focal lengths quickly so as not to miss anything important (no chance of a do-over here). Not that zooms can't be used, but that using primes gives different looks for each focal length and by using zooms the gaps in between can end up being filled in which can muddy the overall look/feel of the set of photos. If you are worried about not having fast primes then you could rent 1 or 2 (and ask the couple to help with the cost of doing so). I've been looking at rentals from a few UK stores (Lens Hire | Lens Rental | Lens Pimp, Hireacamera - Lens Hire or Rental, https://rental.wexphotovideo.com/hire-lenses, Lenses for Hire, Lenses for hire), I shoot M43 and I've got 50mm (25mm f1.7) and 90mm (45mm f1.8) primes and a good quality zoom and I'm looking to add the 12-40mm f2.8 so I'm probably covered, but, like you I'm thinking I need something wider so may rent a fast 35mm equivalent (17mm f1.7 or maybe even the 17mm f1.2... but the 17mm f1.2 would make me want to rent the other f1.2 primes!).
  • Work with the couple to create a shot list for the day that they sign off on. That way you can be sure that you get everything they want (and agree to), and anything else you get is a bonus. You can search for shot lists online as a starting point (happy to share mine if you want).
  • For indoor shots to cover the wedding breakfast, speeches and evening do, I'd look at off camera flash. A judiciously positioned single speedlight on a stand can help with balancing light in indoor scenarios where natural light is either not available or is in the wrong place for the shots that are needed, and can mitigate for slower lenses (or in my case noise from a smaller sensor). If you have a speedlight but not a means of triggering it off camera then you can get away with a simple universal trigger like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06VW4X...olid=3UMEYDB7TJFL6&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it. If you don't have a speedlight then almost any would be ok and doesn't necessarily have to be matched to your camera (unless you want to use it on-camera) so could be borrowed from another photographer if you don't want to buy one.
  • Check out images from other photographers at the venue for the wedding for ideas, and, if possible, visit the venue to scout for potential locations for shots. Also, I've been making an online scrapbook (using google slides) of images both taken at the venue and of shots that you might want to have a go at from a creative POV.
  • Have a look at where sunrise/sunset, moonrise, milky way and any other landscape type phenomenon that might be nice to include in wow shots. I use https://photoephemeris.com/, which is free to use on a laptop, to plan for sunrise/sunset/moonrise/moonset shots.
It is a bit late, 1 month late, but I do appreciate the advice and will keep it in mind for the future.
In the end I did get the Samyang AF 35mm f 1.8 which I used outdoors for close ups and group pictures (there were few guests and plenty of space to not have to go to 28mm) and I got the Tokina atx-m 85mm f 1.8 FE which I used outdoors only because of space constraints and is probably my favourite of all the lenses I used because of that magical FF look, especially if you back up for full size portrait.
At f 1.8 it felt like the perfect balance of DoF, if I would use f 1.4 I would struggle to get the face with enough DoF. I would have liked the 35mm to be f 1.4 for a tiny bit more seperation but it's fine and an improvement over my f 2.8 zoom.

I know that shallow DoF has been done to death ofr the past 100 years but I still love it as I am having the experience for the first time for myself, it's fun and it's different especially coming from Micro Four Thirds.

If you can I would recommend getting the 17mm or 25mm f 1.2 (you don't need both) because it's more difficult to get wide angle shallow DOF then telephoto. From my own use (but it's not a scientific fact, just observational bias) I think you can get Wide Aperture DoF = 2 X Focal Length.
What Iean by that is if you want 90mm f 2 DoF you can double the focal length (180mm) at 2 stops slowe apertur (f 5.6) and if you want on the wider end then you need f 1.4 at 45mm.
A good balance of cost and size, in my opinion, would be:
*Olympus 17mm f 1.2 Pro
*Olympus 45mm f 1.8
*Olympus 40-150mm f 2.8 or 74mm f 1.8
You would get similar DoF look to each forcal length.

For me, what I would like on the Sony system to have is:
*Tamron 20-40mm f 2.8 with Sony a7C (indoors)
*Tamron 35-150mm f 2-2.8 with Sony a7 IV (indoors and outdoors)
That might be my professional work one day, be it hu-mans or fluffers (my nickname for pets). I wouldn't want to use flash unless it's studio and the people are expecting to be flashed.

It is a bit late, 1 month late, but I do appreciate the advice and will keep it in mind for the future.
In the end I did get the Samyang AF 35mm f 1.8 which I used outdoors for close ups and group pictures (there were few guests and plenty of space to not have to go to 28mm) and I got the Tokina atx-m 85mm f 1.8 FE which I used outdoors only because of space constraints and is probably my favourite of all the lenses I used because of that magical FF look, especially if you back up for full size portrait.
At f 1.8 it felt like the perfect balance of DoF, if I would use f 1.4 I would struggle to get the face with enough DoF. I would have liked the 35mm to be f 1.4 for a tiny bit more seperation but it's fine and an improvement over my f 2.8 zoom.

I know that shallow DoF has been done to death ofr the past 100 years but I still love it as I am having the experience for the first time for myself, it's fun and it's different especially coming from Micro Four Thirds.

If you can I would recommend getting the 17mm or 25mm f 1.2 (you don't need both) because it's more difficult to get wide angle shallow DOF then telephoto. From my own use (but it's not a scientific fact, just observational bias) I think you can get Wide Aperture DoF = 2 X Focal Length.
What Iean by that is if you want 90mm f 2 DoF you can double the focal length (180mm) at 2 stops slowe apertur (f 5.6) and if you want on the wider end then you need f 1.4 at 45mm.
*Olympus 17mm f 1.2 Pro
*Olympus 45mm f 1.8

That might be my professional work one day, be it hu-mans or fluffers (my nickname for pets). I wouldn't want to use flash unless it's studio and the people are expecting to be flashed.
Sorry I missed it, and I've actually just read the thread you posted following the wedding. Well done on making it through unscathed, sounds like it went reasonably well and your experience hasn't put you off having another go!

In terms of kit, I have the 50-200 f2.8-3.5 (on my EM1ii) which I will use in conjunction with the 12-40mm f2.8 (on my EM10ii) to cover the ceremony so shouldn't need the 40-150 f2.8. To cover the wide prime I am definitely leaning towards renting the 17mm f1.2 (which I can get for £46 for 3 days), but may have to fall back renting the either O17mm f1.7 (£13 for 3 days) or the P15mm f1.7 (£15 for 3 days) or even the S16 f1.4 (£18 for 3 days) if I don't have enough funds, or rely on the 25mm f1.7 (that I have) and the 12-40mm f2.8 (that I am getting early next year). Like you found, I am thinking that the longer prime will be the lens to produce the wow shots (85mm for you, 45mm for me), and that everything else will support it to build the story around them, so forking out nearly £50 for the 17mm pro doesn't make sense... but I also think I might regret not doing it (over thinking again!). Now I've written down that I expect the 45mm to get the wow shots, I'm also thinking that renting the 45mm f1.2 might be a good idea... potentially spending the money where it'll give the biggest benefit! (damn brain, need to stop! :ROFLMAO:).

*Olympus 17mm f 1.2 Pro
*Olympus 45mm f 1.8

One other idea I had for rentals would be a combo of the S56 f1.4 and one of O17 f1.7/P15 f1.7/S16 f1.4 which I could rent as a pair for less than the cost of either one of the f1.2 lenses, I just don't know how much of a bump the S56 is over the O45.

Back