Leica Rescued bird - Leica 'D-Lux'

D

dalethorn

Another rescued bird who banged into a window, warming up to fly. I have quite a few images from this great camera now, but haven't been able to work on them due to other projects getting in the way. The 800 ISO was accidental, since I was operating quickly and didn't check the settings. At f6.3, more of the bird should be in focus, but there may be some feather smearing that looks out-of-focus, or the shallow DOF may have something to do with the lens-barrel switch being set to 'Macro'.

Leica D-Lux, f6.3, 1/250 handheld, ISO 800.
Bird_Vireo02_s.jpg

Whenever I try to set a camera up for shooting in a given situation, I later get bit by the same problem. Always. Would it have hurt to put the "PASM" switch to "P"? But no ...

Nice thing about the M240 live-view: I immediately know what the shutter speed, exposure, and aperture are. Nothing hidden there.

Whenever I try to set a camera up for shooting in a given situation, I later get bit by the same problem. Always. Would it have hurt to put the "PASM" switch to "P"? But no ... Nice thing about the M240 live-view: I immediately know what the shutter speed, exposure, and aperture are. Nothing hidden there.

If I were using the Noctilux as I was last year, undoubtedly I would have used a low aperture, and the DOF would be even more shallow. In the case of the dog here, I was lucky to have a light from a close-by lamp, and sufficient distance to get an acceptable focus. If I shot that dog with the Leica D-Lux, one thing is certain - the result would be way different, so you just have to hope what you're carrying is adequate for the job. My X Vario would have struggled with the bird and failed with the dog.

Bw_Great_Dane02.jpg