Retrospective 7 II or Wotancraft Pilot 7L

Real Name
David
@MoonMind, @Bobby Tingle, @mnhoj

So the plot thickens.

According to Think Tank the 7M was in fact a special B&H version. I was waiting for more information from B&H that does not seem to have come (or I missed it and deleted it out my junk email).
It closely resembles the Retrospective 7, but less a few key features The 7M does NOT have: Laptop Sleeve / Zippered opening to main compartment tucks-away when not in use / Rear zippered pocket.
It does still have the tuck away Hook-and-loop “Sound Silencers” and the front tablet pocket. And I don't care about the laptop sleeve, actually I'd rather not have it. Smaller and lighter is better IMHO

So is loosing the zippered top along with 2 inches in width and 1/2 pound worth it since I can find them on eBay for at least $50 less? Do you guys find you use the zippered top? I had a Retro 5 and don't recall ever feeling like the flap wasn't secure (as in would let things fall out).

Thoughts?

mnhoj

gee aahrr
Real Name
John
I actually forgot it was there. Pulled it out and zipped it. Unzipped it, put it back and that's where it'll stay.
A lighter, cheaper 7 would be amazing imo.

This thread actually prompted me to order a used F-Stop Shibata.
I had one years ago and regretted selling it.
It's a very basic bag with a similar size.
Soft sided and easy to work out of.

Real Name
David
I actually forgot it was there. Pulled it out and zipped it. Unzipped it, put it back and that's where it'll stay.
A lighter, cheaper 7 would be amazing imo.

This thread actually prompted me to order a used F-Stop Shibata.
I had one years ago and regretted selling it.
It's a very basic bag with a similar size.
Soft sided and easy to work out of.
I've looked at the Shibata a few times, but finding them for sale? Where did you find one?

mnhoj

gee aahrr
Real Name
John
I've looked at the Shibata a few times, but finding them for sale? Where did you find one?
FM.
They've been discontinued for years. 2014?
F-stop ran a blowout for $45ish plus shipping. It created a some buzz then.
I see them every so often. This one is in good condition and the light tan color I like.
$45 including shipping - not bad especially with the high cost of shipping bags.

I'll post some shots when it arrives. Maybe a vs. R7ii.
I bet if you ran a want to buy, someone might remember they have one in the back of the closet.

mnhoj

gee aahrr
Real Name
John
The Shibata arrived.
Similar inner dimensions are about the only thing the Shibata and Retro7ii share.

9.1H x 12.4W x 4.7D Shibata 1.15 lbs.
8.8H x 12.5W x 5.4D Retro7ii. 2.7lbs

Lightweight nylon with a padded removable insert. It's velcro'd 360 without any inner pockets. A small tablet could work but it's not designed for it. The inner compartment extends upwards approx. 2.5-3" all the way around creating a lip with two small snaps on each side/end. These pinch the ends ever so slightly to help keep things out. It's very easy to work out of but the the flap barely covers the sides. It's definitely not a foul weather bag.

One main pocket with two small inner pockets, one flap pocket and two side pockets.
The two front pockets will hold a decent amount but the two sides are very flat(no bottle - my iPhone XR fits perfectly).

It's well made with magnets on the flap and a clip buckle. The bag looks great imo. The tan color is very nice and the design is understated and sleek which speaks clearly to my minimalist inner voice.
A comfortable sliding shoulder pad. Not much grip on the shoulder but the very lightweight design with a slight load keeps it from sliding.

One negative is the lack of a hand strap. One side of the strap is sewn so there's only one buckle. There's no easy way to attach one. With the flap buckled a free floating strap could work. Paracord? My wife recommended shortening the strap to and from the shooting destination - pretty clever advice since the only time I really use a hand strap is in and out of my car. She also called out "Domke" at first glance - good call. And the lightweight nylon makes it even more comfortable if that's possible.

It's a good compliment to the Retro7ii, not a replacement.

Overall a thumbs up.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom