Bags Retrospective 7 II or Wotancraft Pilot 7L

davidzvi

Hall of Famer
Name
David
Quick question for anyone that has used either.

Think Tank Retrospective 7 II or Wotancraft Pilot 7L?

I want to carry the E-M1.2 + O12-100 + O75-300 + PL8-18

I'd actually like something a little smaller, but I don't thinks these will fit in a Retrospective 5. They would probably fit in the Wotancraft Trooper Small, but it's actually heavier than the larger Pilot 7L and more $$$.

I have a black Retro 7ii.
I like the semi-soft design. Feels smaller in carry but opens up in use.
I think your gear would be great in it.

I've never seen the Trooper but really want to now. ( :
I had a Trooper medium at one point, but it was way too big and I sold it. It was way too big.

The Pilot seems to have a larger opening than Trooper small. another reason the Retro is appealing.

One thing I like about bags like the Retro (and others) is the Velco PLUS the secure zipper / buckle closure. The Pilot doesn't have a two stage closure, the Trooper does.

it also takes about a month to get bags from Wotancraft. It probably makes a lot more sense to get the Retro.

I had originally figured I'd get a Domke F-10 to go with my F-9, but I just don't think it will be wide enough.

Quick question for anyone that has used either.

Think Tank Retrospective 7 II or Wotancraft Pilot 7L?

I want to carry the E-M1.2 + O12-100 + O75-300 + PL8-18

I'd actually like something a little smaller, but I don't thinks these will fit in a Retrospective 5. They would probably fit in the Wotancraft Trooper Small, but it's actually heavier than the larger Pilot 7L and more $$$.
Like John, I also own a Retrospective 7 II (also black); I use it to carry the Z 6 with three lenses: Z 35mm S, Z 14-30mm S, Z 24-200mm. It's perfect for that, and I have enough space for everything I want to take alongside a camera (both related and unrelated to photography). The bag is well thought out and secure (thanks to the zipper), and yes, it would fit your lenses: It's no problem to mount the 24-200mm (even with the hood installed), put the camera in the center compartement and close the bag. It makes a very nice daily bag, though I personally prefer a smaller EDC bag (the ONA Bowery - but that won't take the Z 6 comfortably, only the Z 50).

Your kit actually would *not* fit in a Retrospective 5: I also have one of those and just checked: The 75-300mm is longer than even my 24-200mm, the 12-100mm is about the same size; so, the Retrospective 5 will (just about!) take those two lenses *unmounted*, but then you can barely fit the body *only* between them (the grip might even rub against one of the lenses!), and closing the bag becomes a problem. For reference: I use the Retrospective 5 to carry my E-M5 III kit, and that usually consists of a zoom (either the Olympus 12-40mm or the Olympus 12-45mm) and a prime (Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 II), plus sometimes a small flash (Nissin i40), and it could also take one or two additional small primes instead. The bag is ideal for reportage stuff and light travel, but not for bigger gear.

Just be aware that the Retrospective 7 II is pretty heavy for its size - not a real problem (and not unusual for bags of its quality), but something to factor in.

M.

@mnhoj / @Bobby Tingle

What do you typically carry in it?
In the Retro 7, I carry the X-T3 with 16-55, the 50-140, and their lens hoods. I also have plenty of room for filters, extra batteries, memory card holder, etc. I can also fit in the Flashpoint R2 Pro trigger when I'm taking lighting somewhere. The extendable side pocket is big enough that I can carry the X100F if I want to bring it along.

I also have a Retro 4 v2 which I use when I am only taking the X-T3 with the 16-55. Everything is the same as with the 7. Minus the room for the 50-140. There is enough space to carry the body with a prime and a second prime. Or one lens on body and a small flash. I need to test fit an AD200 to see if that will fit.

One thing I like about bags like the Retro (and others) is the Velco PLUS the secure zipper / buckle closure. The Pilot doesn't have a two stage closure, the Trooper does.

it also takes about a month to get bags from Wotancraft. It probably makes a lot more sense to get the Retro.

I had originally figured I'd get a Domke F-10 to go with my F-9, but I just don't think it will be wide enough.

@mnhoj / @Bobby Tingle

What do you typically carry in it?
Usually two bodies both with small primes mounted(XPRO2/23, XT30/18) and two more stacked in a PD origami divider(35/56). The canvas drink holder is pretty cool in that it folds out and offers more protection than the usual variety. Great for a speedlight or maybe even a lens/two.
And if wanting to use as a hauler it expands into a kitchen sink.

This bag is bigger, taller and heavier(as Matt mentioned) than my usual try and fit as tight as possible OCD choices. The strap is nice and it has a little of that Domke hip-hugging flex to it.

What's funny(to me) is that I had forgotten that it had the zipper flap(folded in) and that I think the bag is actually canvas and not nylon like a previous black retro I've owned.

......so, the Retrospective 5 will (just about!) take those two lenses *unmounted*, ...
Yes I hate those "it will fit a 70-200* -- *unmounted"

I owned a Retro 5 vI a while back. Weight of the 7 is one of the things that's making me hesitate. The Pilot is 0.75lbs / 0.5kg lighter.

@Bobby Tingle I've been tempted to get the Retro 4, but I already have the Bowery and a Think Tank Speed Changer V2.0 that are about the same size.

@davidzvi I wish I had that self discipline. Being in a similar situation, I already had a Think Tank bag about the same size as the Retro 4. But I have too much love for carrying the Retro bags, so I bought a 4 anyway.

Anyone familiar with this variation?

vs

The images look like they are actually the same but:

1613409666454.png

I find it suspicious that the "7M" (with a "buckle" - and smaller?!) isn't to be found on ThinkTank's own website. Otherwise, no, never heard of it either ...

M.

I finally got in touch with someone at B&H. It seems that the 7M is actually a v1.0 with the wrong images.
The v1 bags didn't have buckles either - things like that don't raise my personal trust in shops ...

However, good to know. I'd certainly aim for a v2; I own both generations, a 5, a 20 (for medium format film gear) and a 7 II, and I'd certainly go for the enhancements the new generation brings That said, if there were a price difference, the first generation is fine quality-wise ...

M.

I posted this a while back over on the mu-4/3 site, but it doesn't look like I ever posted it here so :oops: :

Back