Bags Retrospective 7 II or Wotancraft Pilot 7L

@MoonMind, @Bobby Tingle, @mnhoj

So the plot thickens.

According to Think Tank the 7M was in fact a special B&H version. I was waiting for more information from B&H that does not seem to have come (or I missed it and deleted it out my junk email).
It closely resembles the Retrospective 7, but less a few key features The 7M does NOT have: Laptop Sleeve / Zippered opening to main compartment tucks-away when not in use / Rear zippered pocket.
It does still have the tuck away Hook-and-loop “Sound Silencers” and the front tablet pocket. And I don't care about the laptop sleeve, actually I'd rather not have it. Smaller and lighter is better IMHO

So is loosing the zippered top along with 2 inches in width and 1/2 pound worth it since I can find them on eBay for at least $50 less? Do you guys find you use the zippered top? I had a Retro 5 and don't recall ever feeling like the flap wasn't secure (as in would let things fall out).

Thoughts?

I actually forgot it was there. Pulled it out and zipped it. Unzipped it, put it back and that's where it'll stay.
A lighter, cheaper 7 would be amazing imo.

This thread actually prompted me to order a used F-Stop Shibata.
I had one years ago and regretted selling it.
It's a very basic bag with a similar size.
Soft sided and easy to work out of.

I actually forgot it was there. Pulled it out and zipped it. Unzipped it, put it back and that's where it'll stay.
A lighter, cheaper 7 would be amazing imo.

This thread actually prompted me to order a used F-Stop Shibata.
I had one years ago and regretted selling it.
It's a very basic bag with a similar size.
Soft sided and easy to work out of.
I've looked at the Shibata a few times, but finding them for sale? Where did you find one?

I've looked at the Shibata a few times, but finding them for sale? Where did you find one?
FM.
They've been discontinued for years. 2014?
F-stop ran a blowout for $45ish plus shipping. It created some buzz then.
I see them every so often. This one is in good condition and the light tan color I like.
$45 including shipping - not bad especially with the high cost of shipping bags.

I'll post some shots when it arrives. Maybe a vs. R7ii.
I bet if you ran a want to buy, someone might remember they have one in the back of the closet.

Last edited:
The Shibata arrived.
Similar inner dimensions are about the only thing the Shibata and Retro7ii share.

9.1H x 12.4W x 4.7D Shibata 1.15 lbs.
8.8H x 12.5W x 5.4D Retro7ii. 2.7lbs

Lightweight nylon with a padded removable insert. It's velcro'd 360 without any inner pockets. A small tablet could work but it's not designed for it. The inner compartment extends upwards approx. 2.5-3" all the way around creating a lip with two small snaps on each side/end. These pinch the ends ever so slightly to help keep things out. It's very easy to work out of but the the flap barely covers the sides. It's definitely not a foul weather bag.

One main pocket with two small inner pockets, one flap pocket and two side pockets.
The two front pockets will hold a decent amount but the two sides are very flat(no bottle - my iPhone XR fits perfectly).

It's well made with magnets on the flap and a clip buckle. The bag looks great imo. The tan color is very nice and the design is understated and sleek which speaks clearly to my minimalist inner voice.
A comfortable sliding shoulder pad. Not much grip on the shoulder but the very lightweight design with a slight load keeps it from sliding.

One negative is the lack of a hand strap. One side of the strap is sewn so there's only one buckle. There's no easy way to attach one. With the flap buckled a free floating strap could work. Paracord? My wife recommended shortening the strap to and from the shooting destination - pretty clever advice since the only time I really use a hand strap is in and out of my car. She also called out "Domke" at first glance - good call. And the lightweight nylon makes it even more comfortable if that's possible.

It's a good compliment to the Retro7ii, not a replacement.

Overall a thumbs up.

Last edited:
OK, the Retro 7M is here. I do wish the seller had included the original package, paperwork, and tags attached. But it does seem unused. There was another one in Texas that would have been a little less, but I've had VERY bad experiences with the USPS in Texas recently so.....

I do like the depth front to back, I do wish it was a little smaller (length / width), but it will do what I want. And have to agree the Retro 5 would have been too small. A few images with gear in place

Attachments

• PENS0809.jpg
    PENS0809.jpg
    489 KB · Views: 159
  • PENS0810.jpg
    PENS0810.jpg
    465 KB · Views: 111
  • PENS0811.jpg
    PENS0811.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 114
  • PENS0817.jpg
    PENS0817.jpg
    522.8 KB · Views: 105
In the Retro 7, I carry the X-T3 with 16-55, the 50-140, and their lens hoods. I also have plenty of room for filters, extra batteries, memory card holder, etc. I can also fit in the Flashpoint R2 Pro trigger when I'm taking lighting somewhere. The extendable side pocket is big enough that I can carry the X100F if I want to bring it along.

I also have a Retro 4 v2 which I use when I am only taking the X-T3 with the 16-55. Everything is the same as with the 7. Minus the room for the 50-140. There is enough space to carry the body with a prime and a second prime. Or one lens on body and a small flash. I need to test fit an AD200 to see if that will fit.

@davidzvi I wish I had that self discipline. Being in a similar situation, I already had a Think Tank bag about the same size as the Retro 4. But I have too much love for carrying the Retro bags, so I bought a 4 anyway.
So Bobby I have discipline and self control. I sold off the Timbuk2 and ONA Bowery, now I have a Retro 4 on order. 2 for 1 isn't too bad.

I did keep the Think Tank Speed Changer V2.0. At 0.6 its just so light it was hard to get rid of it. I also kept the Domke F-9, but that's a tall / smaller bag that is tall enough to hold the E-M1.2 with the 12-100 or 70-300 mounted.

Back