Return to Maui

jloden

All-Pro
Name
Jay
Maui Anniversary Trip

My wife and I returned to Maui for an anniversary trip (we were married there 7 years ago), and I thought I'd share a few favorite photos from the trip now that we're back home. As usual, lots more photos are on my Flickr album of photos from the trip as well.

Fair warning: If you don't care for sunset beach photos, I'd probably stop reading here... there was a lot of beach and a lot of sunsets this trip!

Gearwise, I traveled with an X-E1 with a few lenses, X100S, and a Sony RX1. Don't ask me why I brought two 35mm equiv. fixed lens cameras, but I did. Somehow I used them both quite a bit so I guess it worked out :p

Here I was playing around with something I'd read about a few months back in a photo mag about "miniature" landscapes and shooting details instead of always going for the big picture. I wandered the beach and tried a few less traditional landscape compositions. Fun to experiment and got a few keepers from it too.

10918044606_ff49dcf4d5_c.jpg

Kama'ole Beach by jloden, on Flickr

First beach sunset of the trip.

10918090436_9bca4bf2a3_c.jpg

Kama'ole Beach Sunset by jloden, on Flickr

Another area I've finally started delving into now that I carry a better tripod is long exposure landscapes. Obviously that's popular for seascapes but I have been using it lots of places since I started experimenting with a 10 stop ND filter. Still need to figure out a remote for the X-E1 though, as I was limited to 30s and would have liked to try some even longer bulb mode exposures.

10918215664_ab6e11763d_c.jpg

Quite possibly my favorite photo from the trip, another long exposure.

10918386113_f368835e0b_c.jpg

I didn't use it as much this trip but the Fuji sweep panorama is really handy for some scenes. Here's one of the beach we were married on, from a sunset visit.

10918254854_b2416ab0d9_c.jpg

Makena Sunset by jloden, on Flickr

Another from the same sunset:

10918408953_65cdc085bc_c.jpg

Makena Sunset by jloden, on Flickr

One of the nights, we mustered up enough determination to wake up at 2:30am and head to the top of Haleakala crater to see the stars and watch the sun rise. It was bitterly cold - I'd guess in the teens (Fahrenheit) or colder with wind chill. Fortunately I brought a down jacket and other warm gear so I was able to brave the chill for a couple of hours to get my first astrophotography shots. My wife ended up staying in the car until sunrise as it was just too cold for her. The things we do for our art, eh?

I have a ton to learn and probably need to pick up a tracking mount eventually, but I was happy with some of my astro shots for a first attempt. Photos aside, it was awe-inspiring to stand up there in the utter darkness and see so many stars overhead. I've been in a few remote locations and seen stars but this was special even so. The best endorsement I can give is that I was curled in a near fetal position on the ground, hugging myself for warmth and sheltering the tripod with my body... and I loved every second of it :)

10918181575_9a36986012_c.jpg

Haleakala by Night by jloden, on Flickr

10918225185_bb851f4b9e_c.jpg

Haleakala by Night by jloden, on Flickr

It was also a unique experience seeing the sun just begin it's ascent over the crater, with the stars still clearly visible but slowly giving way to the orange glow of the dawn. Some of the deepest blue I have ever seen in the sky.

10918259525_7bb34e207a_c.jpg

Stars Give Way by jloden, on Flickr

The wind and omnipresent cloud cover create a surreal environment to watch the sun rise over the crater.

10918425424_f93b311f17_c.jpg

Haleakala Sunrise by jloden, on Flickr

More sunset shots:

10918468774_397e8c67e6_c.jpg

10918485114_6a39905d01_c.jpg

The one thing I didn't prepare for this trip was underwater photography. I had decided not to bother but after our first day snorkeling I ended up renting an Olympus TG-820 from a local camera shop so I could at least get some snapshots. I have always wanted to swim with sea turtles, and this time I not only got to swim alongside them twice, I was able to get a few photos to remember it by too! :yahoo:

10918672273_1110bcba26_c.jpg

Swimming with the Honu by jloden, on Flickr

To mix it up a bit from landscapes here's some portraits with the Fujis. First is my (longsuffering) wife, who had to endure most of our beach walks becoming impromptu photoshoots, and endless long exposure sunsets, tripods, flashes, timers, and waiting for me to pack my gear.

10918408455_5b00b4b3b5_c.jpg

Beauty under the Banyan by jloden, on Flickr

This is Richard Roshon, who we met our last night. Very interesting guy with a lot of life experiences all over the world. Glad I had a chance to chat with him for a bit and snap a photo.

10918713053_6a34a84145_c.jpg

Richard Roshon by jloden, on Flickr

And our last sunset before we headed back to the airport:

10918562734_35375928e3_c.jpg

Last Sunset by jloden, on Flickr

Thanks for viewing if you made it this far, hope you enjoyed! :2thumbs:

Happy anniversary Jay! We just celebrated our year one last weekend in the Bay Area, where we had our destination wedding. Photos to follow as well!

Happy Anniversary, Jay.
Very nice set. and some spectacular sunsets and sunrises. I like them a lot.
Swimming with turtles is pretty special, isn't it? I always loved looking at them while diving.
Peter

Thanks all for the well wishes and comments :)

And Peter - yes, very special. I really love sea turtles so it was very cool to swim alongside and have them be so totally unconcerned by our presence. Very glad I got a few photos!

10918374025_af79c18277_c.jpg

Swimming with the Honu by jloden, on Flickr

Share away! I love the color and clarity in your shots, very nice :)

It was nowhere near that clear in the water where we were... actually the shots I did get were the clearest day we got out of the bunch!

Back