Ricoh Returning my "new" GRD IV....

CMG

Regular
I purchased a new GRD IV and GV-2 viewfinder from an authorized Ricoh US retailer with whom I've always had positive experiences with. The GRD IV arrived today. As I unpacked the camera it was rather obvious to me that the camera body, battery and charger had been repacked at least once before. Further, there was no protective film on the LCD. Upon seeing all of this, my instinct was to check the battery charge level and, not surprisingly, the battery was fully charged. So, I repacked everything and moved on to unpack the GV-2 whereupon I found the coating on its front element to be badly smeared. Needless to say I will be returning both the camera and the viewfinder for replacement. Very disappointing since I'd hoped to be out shooting with my GRD. I am confident that the retailer will remedy the situation.

Hope it works out OK, I had a similar thing occur with a Fuji compact I bought online from a shop in Sydney. When it arrived, it was clean, but the box was battered and had previously been opened. There was a blue sticker on it with some initials, and when I put a fresh card in, it showed that there had been over 2500 shots already taken. Needless to say I was not happy at all. Instead of sending it back, I drove to Sydney, to the shop where I bought it, and they refunded the money on the spot. I don't feel very confident buying from them again.

this is unfortunately what we get with liberal return policies and the internet. Everyone takes everything back and no reason needs to be given. People "buy" a new toy, take it out for a joyride (or to shoot a wedding...who knows), slap everything back in the box after they wipe off the LCD screen with their booger-laden sleeve and send it back saying it was the wrong color and they get a refund. The retailer may just try to put a fresh shine on it and sell it as new because they can't return it to the manufacturer. I'm not sure how this stuff works. I know the retailers that are big enough can just sell it as refurbished or used (like new) and recoup the cost (with no profit), but the little guys can't afford to do that, but they need to keep up with the big boys so they take returns anyways.

I'm sure you'll be taken care of. It's a drag you need to wait though.

CMG: GRD is a great camera. Hope you get a complete new one.

kyteflyer: can't believe you had a camera which has 2500 shots taken and was still sold as new.

this is unfortunately what we get with liberal return policies and the internet. Everyone takes everything back and no reason needs to be given. People "buy" a new toy, take it out for a joyride (or to shoot a wedding...who knows), slap everything back in the box after they wipe off the LCD screen with their booger-laden sleeve and send it back saying it was the wrong color and they get a refund. The retailer may just try to put a fresh shine on it and sell it as new because they can't return it to the manufacturer. I'm not sure how this stuff works. I know the retailers that are big enough can just sell it as refurbished or used (like new) and recoup the cost (with no profit), but the little guys can't afford to do that, but they need to keep up with the big boys so they take returns anyways.

I'm sure you'll be taken care of. It's a drag you need to wait though.

Thanks Luke! What you say is so true...the abuse is ridiculous and rampant. And with the small, local retailers having been all but squeezed out and those that remain carrying mostly higher volume Nikon and Canon stuff, rarely Ricoh or Pentax. Right now, if you want a new GRD IV there is only one place to buy it in the USA and that's where I got it. As consumers we are left to get aggravated and frustrated and then use the liberal return policy that got us into the situation in the first place. Bottom line, as you aptly said, it's a drag!

it showed that there had been over 2500 shots already taken. Needless to say I was not happy at all. Instead of sending it back, I drove to Sydney, to the shop where I bought it, and they refunded the money on the spot. I don't feel very confident buying from them again.

Thanks!

2500 shots...sold as new.....that's just incredible! Good move going down there in person!

I think B&H Photo has the policy of items with shutter counters have to show less than 200 exposures for them to accept a return. 2500 is just unfathomable to me. I bet that person took the camera on vacation, shot their photos and then returned it.

I think B&H Photo has the policy of items with shutter counters have to show less than 200 exposures for them to accept a return. 2500 is just unfathomable to me. I bet that person took the camera on vacation, shot their photos and then returned it.

I don't know what the solution is, if any, but this all begs one question that I suppose would be answered differently by different people: When is a camera no longer new merchandise? It seems to me that once a buyer takes physical delivery of the camera, it's no longer new and shouldn't be sold as such. In that regard I think B&H's "less than 200 shutter actuations" is likely nothing more than a marketing tool. Is it enforced? I don't know. And even if it is enforced, someone can do alot of damage in kess than 200 actuations if they purchased the camera just try out a new toy or to use it for one shoot never having intended to keep it.

kyteflyer: can't believe you had a camera which has 2500 shots taken and was still sold as new.

I couldn't either. The shop's staff said they get their stock from a supplier who must have made a mistake. Whatever... as far as I know, DCW (the shop in question) doesn't have a return policy of note unless a camera is broken in some way. This may have been refurbed, could have been anything, but it should not have been sold as new. However... in Australia at least, selling goods as second hand requires a separate licence, and most stores don't have one, unless they are second hand dealers. This was explained to me when I wanted to trade my K-5 and lenses on an X-pro + 35mm at my local CameraHouse. They could not do it, because they don't have the necessary licence. I'm pretty sure DCW doesn't, either. So, they sold it as new because they cant sell second hand, or the warehouse made a hideous mistake. Don't much care which, I got the refund and have no regrets.

As long as you got the refund Sue. Considering they did sell a second hand camera without license to do so, the could have gotten in trouble so a refund made it right for both of you. I'm betting they didn't know.

I'm sure it will be fine. B&H doesnt want its reputation sullied by something like this.

I agree, but it is quite frustrating nevertheless. B&H reopens Wednesday morning so I will take it up with them then. I've dealt with B&H before and they are always very accomodating, but that doesn't change the fact that they seem to have sold me a camera that someone test drove for a while and returned.

Back