Micro 4/3 Review: MCON-P02 Macro Converter

Darmok N Jalad

There are FOUR LIGHTS!
I don’t have the 25mm 1.4, but the 25mm 1.8 is at least somewhat close for a comparison. I’m not a super experienced macro shooter, but I’m willing to give it a try with some coinage. 😉

Ming P

Regular
I'm not an experienced macro shooter, either. It's just an occasional interest for me.

So, I realized that it's going to be hard to get an apples-to-apples comparison. The pinch adapter that comes with either Raynox expects a filter thread in the 52mm - 67mm range. The Olympus has a 46mm filter thread and comes with a 37mm -> 44mm step-up ring. There's zero overlap in the ranges. Of course, it's possible to use step-up and step-down rings, with some vignetting considerations to be aware of.

I realized this when I failed to attach the Raynox to the Panasonic 25/1.4. BTW, I deleted my earlier message when I realized my mistake. It looks like I already got quote-replied in the meantime, though. :ROFLMAO:

I went ahead and took some test shots, anyway. I'll process them tomorrow or this weekend and start a M4/3 macro options thread, perhaps.

Ming P

Regular
I'm back to the drawing board, so to speak, for an apples-to-apples test. The most consistent would be for me to buy a set of step-up rings, although I'm not sure how much use I'd get out of those day-to-day.

Darmok N Jalad

There are FOUR LIGHTS!
I wouldn’t fret too much over it. I just wanted to put a mini-review of this adapter out there. I feel like it doesn’t get a lot of attention and it’s actually a worthwhile little purchase. I can say I don’t feel like I need a dedicated macro lens anymore. 45mm is a good focal length for me in that regard. Really adds a ton of value to the 45mm 1.8, IMO. I use that lens a lot more now.

Darmok N Jalad

There are FOUR LIGHTS!
One thing in the P02's favor over the Raynoxes is that the P02 looks to be significantly smaller, so easier to carry. Hmm... GAS attack!!
Not to throw fuel on the fire, but it would easily slip into a pocket without any trouble, even with the caps on it, as the caps only add a little extra thickness, probably less than a thicker pinch lens cap. Heck, so far I’ve just held it in my hand when I don’t need it.

Darmok N Jalad

There are FOUR LIGHTS!
This converter really shines on the 45mm 1.8, IMO. Single point focus does great, and AF-C also helps when it's windy, which is pretty much always where I live. I'm thinking of getting a P12-32 (again), which has the same thread size as the 45mm 1.8. Might make for some interesting shooting on a compact wide-ish zoom.
P8040139.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
P8040141.jpeg
P8040146.jpeg

RAH

Regular
Name
Rich
That's an interesting idea about using it with the 12-35. I'm wondering if it might not work. I know, for example, that the WCON-P01 (wide adapter for the 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R kit lens) only works at 14mm (gets you to about 10.5mm wide). If you zoom in at all, it won't focus properly.

I realize that a wide adapter is much more dependent on FL than a close-up adapter that already works on 2 different lenses, but it will be interesting to see if the P02 works on a zoom. Might be another feather in its cap (I'm still looking for a good reason to buy it! I already have a 30 and 60mm macro lens). :)

ziggys

It is ridiculous that Olympus does not specify the strength of these close up lenses. I have an old MCON-40 where helpfully the 40 indicates 40cm focal length which is 2.5 diopters. Similarly the 250 and 500 in Canon D250 and D500 close up lenses is their focal length in mm.

For comparison the DCR-150 and DCR-250 claim to be 4.8 and 8 diopters although my samples actually measure 4.2 and 7.1 diopters.

Does anyone know what the P01/P02 strength is or care to measure it?

Use the lens to focus a sharp image on a piece of paper or card and measure the card to lens centre distance. A flashlight at the far end of a darkened room is a good image to focus. The lens strength in diopters is 1000 divided by that length in mm.

There are useful close up lens and extension tube calculators here Cambridge in Colour.

Darmok N Jalad

There are FOUR LIGHTS!
It is ridiculous that Olympus does not specify the strength of these close up lenses. I have an old MCON-40 where helpfully the 40 indicates 40cm focal length which is 2.5 diopters. Similarly the 250 and 500 in Canon D250 and D500 close up lenses is their focal length in mm.

For comparison the DCR-150 and DCR-250 claim to be 4.8 and 8 diopters although my samples actually measure 4.2 and 7.1 diopters.

Does anyone know what the P01/P02 strength is or care to measure it?

Use the lens to focus a sharp image on a piece of paper or card and measure the card to lens centre distance. A flashlight at the far end of a darkened room is a good image to focus. The lens strength in diopters is 1000 divided by that length in mm.

There are useful close up lens and extension tube calculators here Cambridge in Colour.
I don’t know if I understand the question, but I don’t know if you are asking if it magnifies or not. I don’t think it does, but rather it drastically reduces the minimum focus distance. The specs aren’t easy to find, but I did find them:
For the 45mm 1.8, it cuts the MFD from 50cm to 24cm, for the 25mm 1.8, from 24cm to 17cm.