Panasonic Review of the Panasonic LX7 up on my blog

:eek:
Nice review. Nice blog. I couldn't avoid the firesale prices - mine gets here tomorrow...

Darn you John... I can feel my resolve melting even as I type this...

Okay, that's nice guys and thanks... but I'm worried that if you DON'T like it I'll be seriously in the doghouse, lol!

"It was Griggs! He's the one that did this! Get him!"

Darn you John... I can feel my resolve melting even as I type this...

Don't blame me LOL! I'm looking for a small camera with a wide lens, image stabilization, and decent HD video and controls for in-car video, and the list of cameras that fit that criteria are quite small. I just got a bargain basement Q (my second) with the 02 zoom for this, but then I saw the LX7 deals and couldn't resist. I may return the Q. Then again, I may not...

Don't blame me LOL! I'm looking for a small camera with a wide lens, image stabilization, and decent HD video and controls for in-car video, and the list of cameras that fit that criteria are quite small. I just got a bargain basement Q (my second) with the 02 zoom for this, but then I saw the LX7 deals and couldn't resist. I may return the Q. Then again, I may not...

Ha ha! Review them both on whatblogisthis, then keep the one you like better.

Okay, I really must ask some questions about the LX7, despite my post about the GAS explosion. I recently went to the art gallery and realized that a very discreet, wide angle camera would be perfect for that situation.

1. In 16:9 aspect ratio mode, what is the approximate field of view of the LX7? This is perhaps the most appealing aspect of the LX7 for me, a compact camera with a lens wider than 24mm.

2. What is the image quality like, in raw files, compared with cameras like the Ricoh GRD III and the Fuji X10? I'm not expecting aps-c or m43 quality, but is it at least as good as the Ricoh GRD III?

3. How quiet is the LX7 compared with the GRD III and X10? The GRD III is quiet but the X10 is simply much more quiet, no grinding lens, whirring AF or clicky shutter.

4. Can the LCD screen be turned off altogether? And is there some dumb green power light or any other attention-getting flashy thing that shows the camera is on?

5. How is low light focus in art gallery type situations?

Okay, I really must ask some questions about the LX7, despite my post about the GAS explosion. I recently went to the art gallery and realized that a very discreet, wide angle camera would be perfect for that situation.

1. In 16:9 aspect ratio mode, what is the approximate field of view of the LX7? This is perhaps the most appealing aspect of the LX7 for me, a compact camera with a lens wider than 24mm.

2. What is the image quality like, in raw files, compared with cameras like the Ricoh GRD III and the Fuji X10? I'm not expecting aps-c or m43 quality, but is it at least as good as the Ricoh GRD III?

3. How quiet is the LX7 compared with the GRD III and X10? The GRD III is quiet but the X10 is simply much more quiet, no grinding lens, whirring AF or clicky shutter.

4. Can the LCD screen be turned off altogether? And is there some dumb green power light or any other attention-getting flashy thing that shows the camera is on?

5. How is low light focus in art gallery type situations?

1. I just compared the LX7 at 24 in 16:9 with my Fuji 14mm (21mm equivalent) at 3:2. The LX7 is at least as wide and appeared to be even a very little bit wider. This was not a precise test, but its very very similar to a 21mm field of view in a 3:2 aspect ratio. And checking it against my OMD with the 9/18 at 10mm (a 20mm FOV), the LX7 is notably wider.

2. The raws are a bit better than the GRD3, although not a lot. Pretty similar - quite usable through 800, usable for grainy B&W at 1600, no good beyond there. The X10 has better jpegs, particularly for DR and low light, but I never had any experience with its raw files.

3. Pretty quiet, but not dead silent. Turning the camera on and off is the noisiest operation. Zooming is very quiet but not silent. AF is very quiet but not silent. The shutter is very quiet, but with your ear right against the camera you can hear a slight click. I don't remember the specifics of how quiet the GRD3 was to compare, but I'd say not a whole lot different - the LX7 may be slightly quieter but its not dead silent in every operation. I'd say its effectively silent once its on, but turning it on and off might draw attention in a really silent environment.

4. AFAICT, the only way the LCD can be turned off altogether is with the use of the EVF. If the EVF is switched on, the LCD goes black. There's one green LED that stays illuminated whenever the camera is on - it doesn't blink or anything but its on. Its easy enough to cover with your thumb, but it doesn't go off when the camera's turned on.

5. Should be fine. Not as fast in low light as in good light, but those paintings don't move that fast. And art galleries are generally pretty well lit, at least as far as the art. Actually I had no problems focusing my LX5 in various dark-ish areas of MOMA a couple of years ago and the the LX7 AF is generally better than the LX5, so I'd say there shouldn't be a problem.

-Ray

Ray, thank you so much for those answers. I will check out the LX7 at a shop and get a sense of the lens extension sounds for myself. I have been looking for a good "museum camera" for a long time, and the GRD III comes closest due to the small size and wide angle lens. But the LX7 looks like it can give me the same image quality but with a far wider field of view, which appeals to me greatly. I just need to work out if I can turn off the LCD and gaffer tape the power light. Thanks again!

Back