Fuji Rico- we need a new/ current X-t1 book

The current X-T1 book was released in April. It has been on the market for only 3 months. IIRC, the next edition is due in late August. Obviously, there will be upgrade offers for legacy customers.

...in the meantime, the current book is still very useful; the changes and upgrades, taken as a whole, are only a part of the user experience with this camera.

Yes, the firmware 4 frenzy is quite strange, because it really doesn't change much, it only adds 2 new AF options and it includes a few usability updates from cameras like the X30 or the X-T10. So pretty much everything we know from firmware 3 still applies.

Of course, there are also performance increases, but those are only relevant under the hood and don't change how to use the cameras. They just become easier to use.

I have an issue with the 4.00 Firmware Update. This is what Fuji's Post for the Upgrade states under "Improvements."

"(2)Exposure Compensation control in Manual You can use the Exposure Compensation dial to make exposure adjustments while shooting in the Manual exposure mode with the ISO Auto setting."

What this means to me is that unless you set ISO to Auto while shooting in Manual Mode, Exposure Compensation no longer works. I have tested this and unless there is a Menu Item that needs enabled or disabled, Exposure Compensation doesn't work unless you set ISO to Auto while shooting in Manual Mode. I only shoot manual so this is a deal breaker for me.

Adding exp. compensation to manual mode with Auto-ISO ("misomatic") is a new F4.00 feature, but the X30, X100T and X-T10 also have it, so it's not really that new.

Exp. compensation in manual mode w/o Auto-ISO makes no sense. It's manual mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adding exp. compensation to manual mode in Auto-ISO is a new F4.00 feature, but the X30, X100T and X-T10 also have it, so it's not really that new.

Exp. compensation in manual mode w/o Auto-ISO makes no sense. It's manual mode.

I must be missing something here. It's 4 hours past my normal bedtime and I haven't slept in 2 days. So I am going to think about this later and probably stop making a fool of myself.

I must be missing something here. It's 4 hours past my normal bedtime and I haven't slept in 2 days. So I am going to think about this later and probably stop making a fool of myself.

If you dictate Shutter speed, aperture, and ISO, then no EV comp knob will (or should) have any effect on your shooting parameters. When you dictate all 3, you've told the camera "I'm driving, shut and expose as I say." When you leave one of them on Auto, then you've told the camera "Hey I care about these two, but you drive the third one." And in that scenario, the EV comp knob is your shortcut to tell the camera to over or underexpose the shot by changing the one parameter you left under its care. The problem WAS that the camera would do this just fine if you left the aperture or shutter speed on Auto, but curiously it wouldn't do it if you left ISO on Auto. For some reason, ISO behaved differently than Shutter and Aperture. This software change fixes that.

Quick summary:

OLD WAY = You put the lens at f2.8, you dial the shutter speed to 1/500, and leave ISO on Auto. You look through the lens at your backlit subject and dial the EV up to +1 2/3, but the camera wouldn't increase the ISO accordingly - it would only expose at EV 0.

NEW WAY = You put the lens at f2.8, you dial the shutter speed to 1/500, and leave ISO on Auto. You look through the lens at your backlit subject and dial the EV up to +1 2/3, and now the camera will overexpose the shot by 1 2/3 stops by increasing the ISO by 1 2/3 stops.

Back