Ricoh Ricoh GR Digital IV (GRD 4) Announced - Updated with Image Stabilization, Hybrid AF

Hi Don,

I'll probably order one soon myself and keep my GRD3 as a back-up. I'm actually working on an article on the GRD camera in general. It won't really be a review but more of an in-depth discussion of how and why I use the camera, my approach to photography when using the GRD, how I have set the camera up for various shooting situations, and a bit of GR history and background thrown in for good measure. Should be ready in a week or two.

Best,

Paul

I'm actually working on an article on the GRD camera in general. It won't really be a review but more of an in-depth discussion of how and why I use the camera, my approach to photography when using the GRD, how I have set the camera up for various shooting situations, and a bit of GR history and background thrown in for good measure.

Paul, really looking forward to this. I have recently re-discovered the GRD3 and I always enjoy learning more about it, both the camera in use and its history.

- Faster auto-focus (CHECK. A hybrid focusing system makes sense and should perform well. I'm particularly excited that this also means that the snap focus will also work faster, something that I use quite a bit)

How would this make snap focus faster? My working understanding of snap focus is that its' just a manual focus set to one of a few specific distances - a short cut to zone focus. So once you set snap focus, it should only have to move to the snap focus distance one time and then stay at that same focus distance until you either take the camera out of snap focus or change the snap focus distance. But it shouldn't mean making the shot any faster, should it? Or are you talking about the "press through snap" feature (I think that's what its called) where you're in AF mode but then if you just press through the AF half-press location it will immediately switch to snap focus and take the shot. I could see how THAT could be a bit faster if the lens moves into focus position more quickly. But for the full snap focus setting (which is what I mostly use with the GRD3), it doesn't seem like it would have any impact at all...

This question aside, I'm looking forward to your write-up also.

-Ray

Ray, you should be right. Snap focus locks a distance in. The DOF changes with the fstop. I can't see how anything could make that faster.
I also use the camera that way until I need AF.
Dunno, maybe Paul has a trick we don't know about...

Paul, praytell... Any tricks up yer sleeve?

Actually Ray, you are correct. I'm was thinking about Full Press Snap being faster. I use this mode a lot in my work where I stay in an auto focus mode but need to use snap without having to change shooting modes. In Snap Focus mode itself, the new AF system won't help. Here is a quote from Ricoh:

"We have added a Snap mode in which you set the focus at a preset distance, so you can take photos with a time lag we have cut thoroughly. One of the focus distances you can choose from on the GR DIGITAL IV is Auto. This permits very fast, very precise focus adjustments made by the external autofocus sensor alone. You can take photos without having to worry about the distance to the subject. Using Full Press Snap, the camera rapidly calculates the distance using the hybrid autofocus if you pause with the shutter-release button pressed halfway, and using only the external autofocus if the shutter release is pressed all the way down in one motion. High-precision focusing has been added to the GR's characteristic quick shooting functionality."

GR DIGITAL IV / Digital Cameras | Ricoh Global

Paul

hi gr shooters! what about the size? the grd 4 is a bit large in depth. this might be a small setback, for i have this really small grd 3 in shirt pockets always with me and like to take the 4 the same way.
has anybody experience with the new size???

From what I can tell from the specs, the GRD IV is 7mm or .275 inches thicker (depth) than the GRD III. This is still smaller than the GXR in terms of depth. Basically, the real test for me will be whether the GRD IV fits into my existing carry bag and the neoprene sleeve that I use on a daily basis (it slides into a side pocket on my messenger bag and gives me easy access to the camera). I know this sounds like a nick-picky kind of thing (and it isn't necessarily a deal-breaker) but if I can't easily carry the camera with me on a daily basis, that will give me pause. In general though, I don't think this will be a problem for me.

As an aside, I'm still waiting for my GRD IV to ship from B&H Photo (as of November 3rd). I don't think the cameras have arrived yet in the U.S. as I have not heard of anyone else getting one (aside from review cameras directly from Ricoh).

Paul

Paul, the carrying procedure is a serious issue for me also.
I always just put the 3 in my front jeans pocket. No sweat at all. I'm sure the 4 will do the same but forget about the GXR.

I carry the GRD3 in the soft leather belt pouch from the GR1s into which it fits snugly. I guess the 4 won't anymore. Bad.

Back