Ricoh Ricoh GR Digital IV Review: A Field Report

Jeff Damron

Regular
Introduction
822129.jpg

I really wanted to review the Ricoh GR Digital IV. Its predecessors have been beloved by street (and “stroll”) photographers, particularly for black and white shooting. It is small and “pocketable” (4.28 x 2.35 x 1.28") and built like a tank (magnesium body with a great rubbery grip) with intuitive controls and a very nice LCD screen (3 inches with 1,230,000 pixels!) on the back. The camera features a 1/1.7” sensor with an effective 10 megapixels. It also has a prime rather than zoom lens, and its a pretty wide 28mm equivalent prime at that, but it is fast at f1.9 max aperture. And it is not cheap for a compact, costing the same as the Fuji X10 I recently reviewed which is also well built but which has a larger sensor and a fast manual zoom lens.

I had some specific uses in mind for this camera before I ever received it. I envisioned it as a take anywhere and everywhere camera for those times when having a camera on me is more important than ultimate image quality. While a lot of people may find the constriction of a prime lens, well, constricting, I have always found that my shooting conforms to the lens I’m using after a little practice. Shooting a prime removes one consideration when taking pictures - which focal length to use. But I planned to remove another consideration - which way to orient the camera - by shooting square. The GRD will actually produce square format RAW files if you want that. Moreover, it can be set to automatically pick the ISO up to any of several max numbers from 400 to 3200. I found that it did a pretty good job of picking the lowest usable ISO so I set it to automatically go up to 3200. I shot exclusively in Aperture priority mode, often at the widest aperture of f1.9. The goal here was to reduce the options I had to think about when taking pictures to the essentials - where to point the thing and when to press the shutter. After a while I realized that not all of my compositions were working in the square format so I resorted back to shooting the full 4/3 sensor and cropping as needed. But basically this is how I used the camera: Aperture priority, auto ISO up to 3200, RAW. I processed all pictures in Lightroom 3.6 and the black and whites were further refined in Nik Silver Efex Pro 2.

Controls and Settings

IMG_220977.jpg
IMG_220978.jpg
Controls are ample for a compact camera. The main dial on top has the standard Aperture and Shutter priority modes as well as Manual and Program, a “Scene” mode that I didn’t try, and up to 3 modes that can be programmed in by the user. There is a dial on the front top which is convenient (and used to adjust aperture in the mode I shot, for example). Access to a menu system that is very well thought out (and which features tack sharp text on the brilliant screen) is achieved via the pretty much universal buttons on the back - though here again there are two function buttons that are programmable by the user for quick access to frequently used features. There is also a button to pop up a tiny flash - though I’m not a flash kind of person so I didn’t push it.

There is a build quality to the GRD IV that is just remarkable. It is small, but every square inch is top quality - fit, finish, engineering - it is all there to create a real tool for photographers. It is no wonder that these cameras have a cult following. There aren’t a lot of bells and whistles, but just the things that a “serious” photographer needs.

In the Field

In the field, this little gem shines. The IV features a couple of improvements on the older models. The first is image stabilization. This makes a camera that was already a favorite compact for low light situations even more useful, although maybe not as much as one would think. The primary problem is that it will pick settings that will allow sharp hand holding but will allow shutter speeds that causing blurring of live subjects if they move just a little. This could no doubt be minimized with custom settings to keep the aperture wide and the shutter speed a bit faster with auto ISO take up the slack. I just didn’t have opportunity to use it under these situations enough to do that. But this brings me to the second improvement - autofocus. This camera features a brilliant new hybrid system that uses not only the contrast system employed by other non-DSLR cameras, but an external autofocus system. Here is description from Ricoh’s website:
It is newly equipped with an external autofocus sensor developed in-house that allows for high-speed, high-precision distance calculations for up to 190 points. The camera needs as little as 0.2 seconds for the autofocus to adjust, approximately half the time for the GR DIGITAL III. The scan area for contrast autofocusing is limited so the external autofocus sensor can adjust the focus even if you do not half-press the shutter-release button, allowing for more rapid focus adjustments than previous models. Improvements to the algorithm have increased the speed—as much as doubled it—even for macro autofocusing that uses only the contrast autofocus system.
All I can say is that based on my experience, this is not marketing hyperbole. The GRD IV focuses faster than any compact I’ve ever used, even into shadowy regions that don’t have a lot of contrast in them. It isn’t as fast as a DSLR, but it is noticeably faster than other compacts I have tried. And when it can’t lock in focus, you know almost instantly. The focusing rectangle on the screen just turns red - there is no hunting as motors and gears grind back and forth in futility. You know immediately and can try again. As this is a camera perfectly suited for hand held, “focus and recompose” photography, this system works beautifully.

In good light, even when shooting in “auto ISO” mode, the small sensor picks low numbers and the camera produces lovely landscapes.

Results

6700837619_44be055da0_o.jpg

6717487455_f361746851_b.jpg

6686709381_cc48740d54_b.jpg

Although known largely as a compact camera of choice for black and white photography, the camera can also handle color well, whether subtle

6659674311_3641313de8_z.jpg

6646664013_8d22eb23f7_b.jpg

or bold.

6652777699_da9acb004b_b.jpg

6666389891_f9e5862451_b.jpg

It also has an effective macro (and “super macro”) mode as you can see above, and below.

6776012723_0fb5ceab97_b.jpg

6776022321_f65c8ef94f_b.jpg

6678342357_2b3b84b8b6_b.jpg

It’s a handy camera for those “selfies” taken from arm’s length,

6776034955_e87e678327_z.jpg

6627121175_69379f382d_z.jpg

and its images can handle a fair amount of manipulation,

6594950113_61876944d9_z.jpg

6776000839_916d558f73_z.jpg

6776000353_b68ac52236_z.jpg

6776001341_2e18c7294f_z.jpg

but this thing really shines as a camera to carry around for those observations made while strolling

6776027575_defb073725_b.jpg

6634018417_e29627191a_b.jpg

6640661591_93fc7b2c1b_b.jpg

6776025011_49d2b3943e_b.jpg

and for recording “moments” indoors

6776018155_b3cd37117d_z.jpg

6776017719_fdfe5d5639_z.jpg

6776018697_ec9dd48323_z.jpg

6776009413_ba01d48208_z.jpg

6575157193_137f7f8449_z.jpg

6620571881_9ac6d4857a_z.jpg

6743317069_5b56049edd_z.jpg

6776037399_9abb9b8ac7_z.jpg

6776401179_e1feb86aaa_z.jpg

6776401681_d0d4e793a9_z.jpg

although you are far better off going with black and white instead of color at ISO 3200

6776008707_bbffbf36a1_b.jpg

Conclusion

The GRD IV is another excellent camera. I’m afraid that people are going to think that I am something of a pushover since I always seem to like the cameras I review. However, all of the cameras have been among their manufacturers’ top compact cameras and I am readily willing to admit that I am a fan of “serious” compacts. I like small cameras and these top line compacts often have better build quality and more accessible controls than entry-level DSLRs. They just have small sensors, and thus less image quality. But if you are more interested in a camera that is small enough to take with you everywhere and be there when you need a camera, it is hard to go wrong with any of the top-tier compacts. However, because this camera has a rather wide prime lens and a rather high price, it is not for everyone. Obviously, if you need a zoom, or a little more image quality would better suit you than then portability, this is not the camera for you. It is best suited to those who have some pretty specific ideas about how they would use this tool because while it is quite versatile and capable of lots of tweaking to accommodate the preferences of many photographer (including color photographers), it is still a camera with “constrictions” on its usability. I think those “constrictions” can be turned into positives but then I’m a bit weird and a bit old. While I think it shines as a compact, even at ISO 3200 when you have to use it and can live with black and white, it is obvious that Ricoh is happy to have this serve a niche audience rather than the masses. But that niche isn’t just street photographers - is is anyone who wants a small quality camera to always have on them.

Comparisons

Compared to the Fujifilm X10: the GRD IV is smaller and is much more “pocketable” and has more customization features and a significantly better, brighter LCD screen. Also, although the X10 is no slouch in the autofocus department among compacts, the GRD is faster and more certain. But the bigger sensor of the X10 gives better image quality, particularly at higher ISOs where the EXR sensor and the image processing produces beautiful (if only 6mp) pictures. While the GRD delivers competent colors, the X10 produces sparkling colors that really grab you.

Compared to the Olympus XZ-1: I am going to say that I think the noise from the comparably sized sensors is about the same. Both have more noise at higher ISOs than the now discontinued Canon S95 I reviewed, but also seem to have a bit more detail. I think the Oly has a bit richer color, but the GRD’s color can be adjusted easily in post-production. The Canon S series is a little smaller than the GRD, and thus fit a little better in a shirt pocket, and are well-built with more versatile zoom lenses, but the lens is not quite as fast (and is pretty slow really once you start zooming), but the GRD feels and looks like a more sturdy camera. I like the look of the lens on the Oly (and the look of the pictures it produces) but it is bigger and is not in the same league with the Canons and the GRD when it comes to fitting in a pocket. Neither the Oly nor the Canon line are as well made and thought out as the Ricoh (though both are good in that regard as well).

Compared to the Sigma DP2x: The Sigma image quality belongs in a class unto itself. Like the Ricoh it features an excellent prime lens, although it has a more useful (to me) 41mm equivalent view. The GRD is much smaller and its LCD screen blows the rather pitifully dim and reflective and low res one on the Sigma completely out of the water. Both are more “niche” cameras than the Oly and Canon lines, but the niches are slightly different. If unique image quality that only comes from a Foveon sensor is what you need in a small package, the Sigma may be for you. But as a tool that produces good results and is easy to use and customize, the GRD is clearly the winner.

Jeff Damron has been photographing since receiving a Minolta SLR and a basic darkroom setup in 1976. His favorite film camera is the Contax G1, which he considers his first "compact" camera. He writes about monochrome photography at his site, Better in Black and White. -Amin

Please help support SeriousCompacts.com by using one of these links prior to your next purchase:

B&H Photo | Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.ca | Adorama

Your price is unaffected, and a referral fee (2-4% of your purchase) is paid to us by the retailer.

Note: For us to get credit for the referral, you must click our link prior to placing any items in your "shopping cart".

More from SeriousCompacts on the Ricoh GRD:

Thanks so much, Jeff.

Just reading this makes me wish I could have 'em all - well, not all of them but this is, indeed, a wonderfully sized camera and I remember how fast it was, too. I've enjoyed watching you prepare for your review and am so glad you've shown us how the GRD IV works in both B&W, as well as in living color, too.:2thumbs:

Just a note here to say that we're obviously having a few problems with this Front Page...where our comments are ending up ahead of Jeff's review. I've been in touch with Amin who will come on when he can to get to the bottom of this site glitch here on the front page.

Great review Jeff... If only I could have every little camera I wanted!;)

Just a note here to say that we're obviously having a few problems with this Front Page...where our comments are ending up ahead of Jeff's review. I've been in touch with Amin who will come on when he can to get to the bottom of this site glitch here on the front page.

Great review Jeff... If only I could have every little camera I wanted!;)

Should be all fixed now...

I did not read the review in depth. Why? Because I have a GRD iii, and am completely happy. I completely agree, this is a fantastic "carry around camera"

But, frankly, the main reason I didn't read the review in depth was because I was too taken up by the pictures!

Brilliant shots. The bird at the feeder, the "selfies", the subtle colored curtain, etc. etc. Thanks so much for posting your work!

But, frankly, the main reason I didn't read the review in depth was because I was too taken up by the pictures!

Brilliant shots. The bird at the feeder, the "selfies", the subtle colored curtain, etc. etc. Thanks so much for posting your work!

Thank you for your kind words! Not a good time of year for the type of outdoor pictures I usually take, so I had think outside of my own box a little on this one. :)

Nice review Jeff. And some great photos! I sometimes let my GRD3 sit for a while but then every time I pick it up, I'm reminded of what a wonderful little camera it is. Just took it out on Saturday on a walk with my dog and was reminded yet again.

I tried a IV to see if I thought it would be a worthy upgrade and for my uses it wasn't - in fact it was a downgrade due to the inability to change snap focus distance without going into the menus. The low light capability is essentially the same on the two cameras (despite the re-labeling of the ISO values on the IV) so to me the two reasons to upgrade to the IV would be the IS and the faster AF. Neither of those features mean much to me for how I use this camera and losing the snap focus control was a deal breaker, so I stayed with the 3. But the 4 is another nice little evolutionary step in some ways. And in two years there'll be a 5 and hopefully that will truly raise the bar. In the meantime, pretty much any of the GRD models are wonderful little shooters.

-Ray

Back