Ricoh Ricoh GR focus issues, is is a myth?

Name
Andy
I am gobsmackingly close to getting a GR as it's one camera that I have always wanted to try but have as yet never bought. I want a pocketable compact to compliment the A7.

After looking at shed loads of images I am more certain than ever that this camera is worth a punt but after reading some user comments there seem to be a fair few people complaining about AF accuracy. People are saying it is not great where AF is concerned. Is this the case or is it like any other camera and nothing to worry about.

Thanks

I didn't have one for very long, but I never had a misfocused image. Plenty of poorly composed ones, but focus was fast and accurate for me. I would presume it user error. There are just a LOT of people who don't understand how the various modes of AF work and the camera user needs to use their knowledge of it to achieve proper focus. The camera has no idea what you want to focus on (as I'm sure you know).

I realized that I don't "see" images at 28mm. I always felt like I was too far away and all my shots had dead space in the foreground. If they made one at 35mm and I didn't have and love my X100, I'd get that. If they ever make a 50mm version, I'd probably get that. Just for me, 28mm is too wide as an everyday focal length.

I too love the 35mm focal length but have that covered on the A7. Getting a good compact is really hard!!:(

One camera I did love...and I mean really love was my X100.

I wonder gr and nikon a af speeds also, after so many mixed reviews... RX100 was working fine for me even w/ night time af... However the smaller camera and larger sensors gets more digital corrections so I wonder what the new ones has...

It's a myth.

My GR is spot-on at all times. I also use it at the "35mm" and "47mm" settings quite happily (yes I know they are smaller files). As to AF speeds, never had a problem, and don't forget there is "snap focus" for those times when you are in a rush.

I've found AF accuracy to be good so far. I think a lot of people shoot with them wide open at f2.8 when taking snapshots (say of friends or family) which results in a small part of the image being in focus, but not all of it, and it's better to stop down to say f4 or f5 instead. The DSLR-like shallow depth of field at 2.8 is great in many circumstances, but it's easy to miss focus in other circumstances unless you're pinpointing on something specific.

Does this make any sense?

When I shot with one (when they were first out) I found it was fine in good light and terrible in low light. The Nikon A was pretty much the same, except that it was quicker to render a verdict in low light, but the verdict was usually a no-go. The GR would hunt for a looooooong time before either locking or failing. I'm not aware of whether the Ricoh is better with firmware updates, but I know the Nikon is. But in any case, both were more than adequate in decent light - not all that fast, but fine. And both of them are pretty much perfect for zone focus also, which is how I tend to use this focal length for non-static subjects...

-Ray

I still have my GR and its probably one of my all time favorite digital compact cameras ever. I cant say anything bad about the camera. Specially with the latest firmware AF is as good as the latest Fuji X100s (T now) and the overall speed of handling the camera is fast and snappy as my olympus em10.

Id say get it. theres nothing wrong with the camera. and the IQ is superb!.

I still have my GR and its probably one of my all time favorite digital compact cameras ever. I cant say anything bad about the camera. Specially with the latest firmware AF is as good as the latest Fuji X100s (T now) and the overall speed of handling the camera is fast and snappy as my olympus em10.

Id say get it. theres nothing wrong with the camera. and the IQ is superb!.

IQ is the main thing with me. From what I have seen it is outstanding so I think by this time tomorrow I should be a proud owner of a GR. That's if we have them in stock! :D

I have very little problem with AF on the GR that being said there are very few camera I have used that can focus well in low light on low contrast subjects. I have also said many times before,people who complain of poor AF performance on a number of cameras, are in fact seeing camera shake. There is no image stabilization in this camera, but for me it is still the best of all the APS-C chip comapact cameras, I use mine almost everyday

A propos the firmware update: With the most recent firmware, the GR has a "fast focus" mode that indeed *feels* a lot swifter (I can't measure it). That said, low light performance still isn't impressive - but pretty good, really reliable and reasonably quick. To put this into perspective: The GR is by far the most reliable compact fixed lens camera I own when it comes to acquiring focus, while the mFT cameras both focus a lot faster and just as precisely. The V1 is a true speed demon in bright conditions, but struggles a lot more in low light. Given what the GR represents, I actually think the performance is impressive - compare it to the live view on any DSLR with a similar sensor ...

As a companion camera, the GR is hard to beat - fantastic handling, great IQ, a marvel of a lens, all in a slick, yet cleverly arranged package. It's not the most sophisticated and "modern" camera (no zoom, no IS, no fancy video modes - and, alas, no EVF), but it's a real gem in terms of usability - it's a photographer's tool for sure.

M.

Best camera I own. Practical, fantastic IQ, not really noticed any problems with AF, lovely ergonomics, completely pocketable even with the external viewfinder attached (I know 'cos that's how I use it). How Ricoh do what they do for the price they do it surprises me. In a word: essential. (imho).

LouisB

Back