Ricoh Ricoh GR III

Don't you think this might be changeable if you disable "Snap Focus"? If you depress the shutter button fully, it's probably set to "Snap" focus distance, and depending on your aperture, that won't be hyperfocal, especially not at close range.

Thanks all for your interesting observations. So far, most of you seem quite happy with the purchase - good to know. Still on the fence, though ...

M.
You know, I'd thought of doing that, but thanks for reminding me. It may well be trying to do something halfway between AF and Snap. I'll try disabling it and see what happens.

I'm very happy with the size and IQ, the GRII was by no means a perfect camera and I did not expect this one to be either. Build quality is great in every respect except that wobbly 4-way controller. It's being excoriated on DPR by a couple cranks over there, which is silly since no one has any concrete evidence of how durable it is, but I'll admit I'd prefer if that particular control point felt more robust.

More playing with the GR today. I read over on DPR that there have been recalls in Korea regarding the wobbly 4 way dial. Mine still appears ok, time will tell. Not unduly worried at this point.
One thing for sure. After my initial sorrow regarding the less than perfect low light af I am really enjoying this camera. I still want a shortcut to the touchscreen menu though. And peaking in manual focus only.

Shot a bit more on the same battery charge last night (not having charged from the day before). By the end, I was down to a one-bar reading on the battery. Not sure how close I was to exhausting it, but probably fairly close. My use consisted of:

- 72 raw only shots one afternoon, no chimping, switching the camera off during longer stretches between shooting.

- In-camera raw conversion of 16 files that night, with a lot of digging into the conversion and image control options, probably about a half hr total. Fairly intensive, the camera got pretty warm in the usual spot. Incidentally, I've never had it get warm when actually shooting, and would be surprised if it did.

- 74 raw+JPEG shots the next evening, little chimping, switched off a couple times. Light was low, so a few times it racked focus in low-contrast areas, but the vast majority of the time, even in the blue hour with pretty dim lighting, focus was fast and all were accurate.

So, almost 150 shots and a lot of camera software manipulation. I don't really expect that much more out of a small camera battery.

Yep, I don’t have any problems with the battery capacity either.
Having already bought the GA-1 for filter use I’m seriously considering the wide conversion lens too. Might have to sell something first. :rolleyes-74:

Last edited:
My GR has the mount. I have never used it with a wide angle adaptor or filters. Instead it serves two useful purposes for me. In crowds it protects the lens from being knocked or squashed. In general use it gives the camera a handy two-hand grip, with the right cradling the adaptor, like a lens.

My GR has the mount. I have never used it with a wide angle adaptor or filters. Instead it serves two useful purposes for me. In crowds it protects the lens from being knocked or squashed. In general use it gives the camera a handy two-hand grip, with the right cradling the adaptor, like a lens.
Uhm - that makes two right hands if you have to press the shutter - or an awfully long thumb ... Excuse me for finding that a bit creepy ... ;)

M.

Last edited:
Continuing to get up to speed with the revised ergonomics/handling/menus of the GRIII vs my old GR. Very similar, but some definite differences.

One annoying thing is that I have inadvertently hit the "macro" shortcut with my thumb during handling and spend a few seconds wondering why the camera won't focus. :mad: I'm sure after a while, muscle memory will prevent that.

AF is decent, but not as fast as most modern day ILC mirrorless bodies (expected). Similar to the X100F I had previously.

The lens is extremely sharp and really like having IBIS. Touchscreen is also a nice bonus got touch focus and image review.

Haven't had a ton of time for shooting, but posted a couple images from an evening walk with my son here: Ricoh - The Ricoh GR III Image Thread (Showcase)

Weather isn't cooperating this weekend so far, but hopefully that'll turn around in the coming days.

Uhm - that makes two right hands if you have to press the shutter - or an awfully long thumb ... Excuse me for finding that a bit creepy ... ;)

M.
I don't see the problem...
tony-shalhoub-01.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Some GR have been recalled for a wobbly rear dial pad. This link contains the serial numbers.
Ricoh Korea and Ricoh Japan issue recalls about wobbly control dial pad on the new Ricoh GR III camera - Photo Rumors

Looks like mine is one within the first range. Yes, it is a bit wobbly, but not as much as illustrated in the video.

I dont see any details on the process to correct, unless I missed it?

Also, I have a week left on my return policy with the store. But, really need the camera for my upcoming Disney trip. Hmm, maybe I can swap it.

Looks like mine is one within the first range. Yes, it is a bit wobbly, but not as much as illustrated in the video.

I dont see any details on the process to correct, unless I missed it?

Also, I have a week left on my return policy with the store. But, really need the camera for my upcoming Disney trip. Hmm, maybe I can swap it.
Maybe a swap. I just posted this because I saw the article and know some on this forum have mentioned this problem.

The GR III seems to share the sensor of the KP, a fact which I find quite impressive (and it partly explains the price); here's the chart from PhotonsToPhotos regarding DR.

GR_GRIII_KP.png

However, I don't like the fact that the RAW files appear to be cooked - that's not a new phenomenon and has been present for a while, but it basically means you can't really turn off NR in RAW - a no-go in my book (I do my own NR if I feel it's necessary). Now, for those who have the camera: *Can* you actually turn NR off/set it up to your liking? I know I could read the manual - but I'm more interested in the raw reality, so to speak ...

M.

P.S. @Kevin Something appears to be wrong with image upload - double copy, one botched no preview! It appears like a double copy, but it's only a placeholder for the image that isn't shown. Maybe that's behind the issues I saw in another thread (two attachments mentioned, none shown)?
P.P.S. It appears that things get fixed after saving the post ...

Last edited:
P.S. @Kevin Something appears to be wrong with image upload - double copy, one botched no preview! It appears like a double copy, but it's only a placeholder for the image that isn't shown. Maybe that's behind the issues I saw in another thread (two attachments mentioned, none shown)?
P.P.S. It appears that things get fixed after saving the post ...
What method are you using to upload & what browser? Using the tablet I'm on at the moment I'm not having luck reproducing it.

I still have an original GR and it's in good shape. And, yes, firmware updates did improve the camera and cure most (but not all) of its issues. But I'm disappointed that the GRIII appears a bit half-baked. I'm sure there'll be firmware updates coming but Ricoh had so much time to get this right out of the box. The KP sensor is brilliant (I actually have the KP) but Pentax/Ricoh appears to be falling further behind when it comes to autofocus. I find it more difficult with time to give the brand a pass and continue to support it. And that makes me sad.

I still have an original GR and it's in good shape. And, yes, firmware updates did improve the camera and cure most (but not all) of its issues. But I'm disappointed that the GRIII appears a bit half-baked. I'm sure there'll be firmware updates coming but Ricoh had so much time to get this right out of the box. The KP sensor is brilliant (I actually have the KP) but Pentax/Ricoh appears to be falling further behind when it comes to autofocus. I find it more difficult with time to give the brand a pass and continue to support it. And that makes me sad.
Here's what I think. Contrary to the opinions of some, I believe the GR design team wasn't actually designing and building a product for very long. I get the sense from this article; GR III レビュー 通常画質 (あらいた) | GR official | リコー公式コミュニティサイト at the end where they talk about image quality, that tuning the lens/sensor/processor took longer than they expected. Recall that even right before CP+, they said final ISO settings were TBA.

I think with the time the design team had, most of it was spent on IQ. This is the first APS-C GR with hybrid AF, and I think it needs some refinement to be all it can be. I'm fairly confident it will come, though.

However, I don't like the fact that the RAW files appear to be cooked - that's not a new phenomenon and has been present for a while, but it basically means you can't really turn off NR in RAW - a no-go in my book (I do my own NR if I feel it's necessary). Now, for those who have the camera: *Can* you actually turn NR off/set it up to your liking? I know I could read the manual - but I'm more interested in the raw reality, so to speak
You know, I've been trying to ascertain whether there is NR in the raw files... To tell you the truth, if there is, it's beyond my experience to find it. I can tell you that there is still a nice amount of graininess and detail in the high ISO raws, so if the main result of baked-in NR is blotchiness, I can't see any. I do want to test it out more, however.

Back