Ricoh Ricoh GR III

Name
Andrew

There it is, the real deal.

Not for a while here in Australia. Rang up Digidirect, then the distributor CR Kennedy only to be met with "Eh? Haven't got anything about that".

Last edited:
Have to see if the AF is improved enough to make me want to give up my X70. But it is definitely nice to see they ARE continuing the line and that it didn't go the way of budget cuts.
That's what has me concerned too. The reports I've read so far didn't make me super confident in the AF (seriously, how has it gotten to the point where my M4/3 cameras with only contrast AF seem like the fastest AF outside of DSLRs?) but I'm hoping those are just the impressions of reviewers who aren't using the best technique. We will see.

Man, battery life down to a CIPA-rated 200 shots. I wonder if it gets better if you turn off the IBIS? The rear touchscreen probably doesn't help battery life, either. You lose the built-in flash as well.

The good news is Ricoh is promising faster/better autofocus. The new lens is probably a big part of that. I'm keeping an open mind but I'm going to wait for a few professional reviews.

The GRIII kind of shows the limits of current battery tech with miniaturization. The processor, IBIS and other components are probably serious power hogs, and the tiny battery can only do so much. I am half tempted to agree with a cynical poster I saw on another site-which-shall-not-be-named who surmised that the inclusion of a flash would have driven the CIPA power rating much, much lower. I don't think that's the main reason they axed the flash, but I will bet it contributed. CIPA ratings are dumb, but they drive market advertising regarding power figures.

They should have released the GRIII with integrated battery grip 😅

The GR's are the kind of camera I want to like (but not sure that I will)

The main reason for selling my GR was that Capture One didn't do a great job at RAW conversion - neither did the included Silkypix. Now that I have Lightroom too, I might download some raw files to test...

Close focussing wasn't a strong point of the previous lens. This seems to be improved.

Also, it was a very feature-rich camera - with limited controls (naturally). Not exactly a negative of course :) I'd be interested to see how helpful the touchscreen will be. (At least for focus point selection it should be a big help...)

The digital zoom should be improved by the newer sensor too.
---
All this rambling means that I will keep an eye on this camera - but the initial price will definitely keep me from hastily pushing any pre-order button :)

Just a quick question, @Kevin. I used your affiliate link and then did that search....shouldn't that work, as well?
That should work; if somebody clicks the affiliate link it should create a cookie indicating where the click came from and then subsequent purchases should count.

For some links, like Amazon & eBay, those links posted in the forums will automatically have their affiliate code appended to them but Adorama isn't automatically recognized (but it just got bumped up on my priority list to work on :( ).

Back