Ricoh Ricoh GR III

Are there affiliate links for amazon.ca (or other Canadian retailers?)
(Looking closer at that XF10 :D )
Thank you for asking; I just added Amazon.CA to the list of affiliate codes. But I must emphasis, while I genuinely do appreciate everybody who tries to use the affiliate links I also ask that they make sure that they're getting the best purchase experience that they can and if that happens to be from one of the affiliate links, great, but if not then no worries. :)

Got a used XF10 for a good price but af is disappointing, more like initial mirrorless cameras . Then I went for a used g1x3 for $600. I like it so far, eg good af, is, & evf. There is a distortion correction at wide end but no problem for landscape shots. Gr3 af is a good question esp for the initial release price.

Not for a while here in Australia. Rang up Digidirect, then the distributor CR Kennedy only to be met with "Eh? Haven't got anything about that".

Kennedys have it for preorder now. Can't give a direct link because all links lead to a signup page. And for the II, $100 cheaper than I got mine for.

I've preordered on Amazon, and listed my GR II (over on mu-43 if anyone's interested, PM me). It might be stupid, and being an early adopter sometimes isn't all it's cracked up to be, but we're gonna give this thing a try.

The hardest thing is actually giving up my current GR which I've grown really attached to and hasn't manifested any dust problems or anything else. It's weird getting rid of gear you'd sooner keep.

I've preordered on Amazon, and listed my GR II (over on mu-43 if anyone's interested, PM me). It might be stupid, and being an early adopter sometimes isn't all it's cracked up to be, but we're gonna give this thing a try.

The hardest thing is actually giving up my current GR which I've grown really attached to and hasn't manifested any dust problems or anything else. It's weird getting rid of gear you'd sooner keep.
Still on the fence about the III - mostly because, yes, I really like the original (never went for the II for that very reason), and it still delivers the goods. The III may well be a worthwhile step ahead - but I'd need to be certain about that to make the switch. Thus, looking forward to images, first impressions (especially about the new features, like the sensor, the lens and I.B.I.S.) as well as more thorough reviews.

Interesting times ...

M.

It sure is interesting times. Personally I hope it flies off the shelves, then maybe Fuji will update the X70. :2thumbs:

Seriously though, I do hope the AF on the III is really improved. The built in ND is something I really wish more cameras had; IBIS and ultrasonic sensor cleaning is also nice to see. About the only thing I really wish they'd changed physically is I would have preferred a tilt screen and joy stick over a touch screen.

About my only real issue is battery life, I already have 3 I use for my X70, I'd need 5 for the III.

Yeah, the battery life sure isn't ideal. I expect a short wait before being able to get third-party batteries, I will probably buy Wasabi Power since that's a known entity for me. A couple extras will be nice. In the meantime, I will carry a power bank and a USB-C cable.

Yeah, the battery life sure isn't ideal. I expect a short wait before being able to get third-party batteries, I will probably buy Wasabi Power since that's a known entity for me. A couple extras will be nice. In the meantime, I will carry a power bank and a USB-C cable.
I have a pair Wasabi batteries for both of my Fuji bodies. I went with OEM for my E-M1 mkII only because they're so big I figured one was enough.

Dpreview: CP+ 2019: Ricoh GR III shown with firmware 1.0, Theta goes 1"
"The GR III adds phase detection autofocus but, interestingly, still appears to use a unit focus design, where the entire lens is moved back and forth as the camera focuses. This helps maximize image quality, as the lenses maintain their relationships to one another, but slows down the process, since it means moving more mass. The addition of phase-detection autofocus helps with this, since it means the lens can be driven straight to the desired location, but the autofocus of these firmware v1.0 cameras wasn't especially speedy."

Dpreview: CP+ 2019: Ricoh GR III shown with firmware 1.0, Theta goes 1"
"The GR III adds phase detection autofocus but, interestingly, still appears to use a unit focus design, where the entire lens is moved back and forth as the camera focuses. This helps maximize image quality, as the lenses maintain their relationships to one another, but slows down the process, since it means moving more mass. The addition of phase-detection autofocus helps with this, since it means the lens can be driven straight to the desired location, but the autofocus of these firmware v1.0 cameras wasn't especially speedy."
I'm not a person that demands great AF speed out of my equipment. I want the camera to come on quickly but my subjects are often not moving quickly. For example, I have never really appreciated in practice the complaints about the Lumix 20mm. For me, the trade off between lens IQ and AF speed can happily favor the IQ. HOWEVER, I understand that many of you are in exactly the opposite position using the GR as a street camera, and this is not good news. Hopefully, the ability to use the hyperfocal approach has not between compromised in any way.

Last edited:
I'm not a person that demands great AF speed out of my equipment. I want the camera to come on quickly but my subjects are often not moving quickly. For example, I have never really appreciated in practice the complaints about the Lumix 20mm. For me, the trade off between lens IQ and AF speed can happily favor the IQ. HOWEVER, I understand that many of of you are in exactly the opposite position using the GR as a street camera, and this is not good news. Hopefully, the ability to use the hyperfocal approach has not between compromised in any way.
I read the same article this morning and the passage about unit focus jumped out at me as well. I'm conflicted: for one, I realize that it is a way of retaining absolute image quality (see the Panny 20mm as you mentioned, which I believe has the same type of focus), but on the other hand I do want quick focus acquisition for street use. Thing is, I can live without this camera being the best ever street camera, because I use my Panasonic GX85 (ironically, with the 20mm lens most of the time) for street photography most often.

I've been watching some videos and reading on Garry Winogrand, absorbing some of his photos along with a few from Robert Frank, who used a wide angle for some of the photos in The Americans, to try and sharpen my eye for wide angle street. I usually sit comfortably right around 35mm-40mm and occasionally out to 50mm, but 28mm is a challenging street lens. I'd enjoy giving it a go, however, as the 28mm lets you do some interesting things (push people away or pull people in, depending on subject distance). We will see how the real-world performance of the AF is. I'd kind of like to be able to tap the screen to focus and take the shot with the GR III. I'll need to get closer to people than I do with the GX85, but if I can keep my hand off the shutter button it really won't look like I'm photographing. Hopefully it's useable.

Back