Ricoh Ricoh GR III

I don't need fast AF all the time. But there are times when I do. So I have the 27mm f/2.8 for my X-E3 instead of the 20mm f/1.7 for my E-M1 mkII. And that combo along with the 18mm f/2 is part of the reason I have X-E3 and sold my GX85.

The GRIII is interesting, it just doesn't seem like enough of a change to get me to sell my X70 so far.

I don't need fast AF all the time. But there are times when I do. So I have the 27mm f/2.8 for my X-E3 instead of the 20mm f/1.7 for my E-M1 mkII. And that combo along with the 18mm f/2 is part of the reason I have X-E3 and sold my GX85.

The GRIII is interesting, it just doesn't seem like enough of a change to get me to sell my X70 so far.
Surprised you didn't keep the GX85 for the 20mm. To me that's the perfect combo - and the DfD focusing provides measurably faster AF than an Olympus body with that lens. For even my fastest street needs the 20mm is perfect, combined with a custom AF pattern and the setting "fire on half press." it doesn't even feel slow anymore.

Surprised you didn't keep the GX85 for the 20mm. To me that's the perfect combo - and the DfD focusing provides measurably faster AF than an Olympus body with that lens. For even my fastest street needs the 20mm is perfect, combined with a custom AF pattern and the setting "fire on half press." it doesn't even feel slow anymore.
The X-E3 + 27mm is the same 40mm Eq with phase AF and pretty much the same size. Only thing I miss is the tilt screen.

I have the xe3 with the 27 and it’s great. The only problem for me is the lack of a tilt screen but I can live with that as long as I have an EVF. The lack of both on the GR iii is a real dealbreaker for me.

So, not many takers here then by the sound of it!
I think the GR III is the best GR yet - but the thing is, the GR still is a brillant camera, a no-frills photographer's tool. By that token, I acknowledge that the GR III is probably worth the upgrade for many - but I do have some serious doubts that it'll be for me. The enhancements it brings to the table I already own, with additional cherries on top (the Canon G1X III - which also adds weather-sealing, a good EVF and a solidly performing zoom to the mix), whereas the original GR has a distinctive bare-bones vibe to it that I still find very appealing - refreshingly different and eminently usable at the same time, even by today's standards.

Whether, on the other hand, the GR III's speed of operation is noticeably improved (something that early reports make me doubt somewhat) and handling is as good as (or even better than) the GR for someone like me who's not really into touch interfaces remains to be seen.

All that said, I'll certainly try to get my hands on the camera as soon as possible - if only to make sure I'm not missing out on something great. Ricoh have done it before, why shouldn't they be able to do it again?

I'm actually eager to compare the GR III to a whole host of other cameras: the GR, the LX100, the G1X III, the RX100 VI, and the FZ1000. The last two are in the mix because the VI could replace the GR, the LX100 and the FZ1000 in one go; however, from my initial short experience with it, I'm pretty sure that won't happen because there is an annoying sluggishness to certain aspects (start-up and switch-off, as well as zooming); the FZ1000 does a lot better in those respects - and of course, it handles way better. If, however, the GR III feels like a true step-up speed-wise (maybe even over the G1X III) I'll trade in the GR and LX100 to help fund it - that would feel very suitable.

M.

Last edited:
Ok, MoonMind, I have to ask. How will the wide angle GR replace those superzooms?
Sorry, I mixed up some things - but they are amalgamated in my specific case because I'd rather reduce the number of compacts I own, though if possible not lose too much capability.

To clarify: Maybe the RX100 VI could replace several cameras for me - and it certainly could make the the FZ1000 redundant. But I didn't find the RX100 VI convincing during a first hands-on - so I'm basically ruling it out at present, but I may change my mind on a second chance to play with it. If (and that's a big "if") I pick up the RX100 VI, no GR III (and three of my present cameras gone). But I doubt it'll go that way.

On the other hand, the GR III would of course replace the GR; the LX100 would go together with the GR because I have its role covered by the G1X III. Even so, I've so far hesitated to sell the LX100 or the GR because I have a soft spot for both of them. But maybe the GR III can convince me to let go of them because it offers enough advantages to make it desirable. In that case, I'd just keep the FZ1000 - to, yes, have a superzoom available. This is way more probable than me getting a RX100 VI ... but I'm not sure I'll get the GR III, either.

I was trying to provide my personal take on why not that many people are ostensibly planning on getting a GR III: There are lots of options, and furthermore, many people already own great cameras. New models don't guarantee a worthwhile upgrade anymore - because they enter a mature, saturated market. I've lost my desire to play with as many cameras as possible mostly because of this (and I'm probably not the only one) - so, any next move had better be really worth it. That's why I'm looking at the whole picture, personally - and I think, so do others.

M.

Last edited:
A GR with IBIS and better high ISO is enough for me, it opens up a whole new range of photos I can take without being forced into heavy grain (not that the grain is unattractive, by any means, but limits the aesthetic choice). The other features are icing on the cake. The purchase price is.... hey, it was my birthday.

A GR with IBIS and better high ISO is enough for me, it opens up a whole new range of photos I can take without being forced into heavy grain (not that the grain is unattractive, by any means, but limits the aesthetic choice). The other features are icing on the cake. The purchase price is.... hey, it was my birthday.
I've watched a spanish hands-on on YouTube, praising the I.B.I.S. (I think the guys call themselves "Photolari"); I totally get that - and it (and the updated processor) would have major pull for me - if not for the G1X III ...

I'm looking forward to seeing results and read about real-life experiences; the specs are fine, but not spectacular, so the proof of the pudding is definitely in the eating - the recipe is promising a lot, anyway.

M.

I reckon this new model with its touch screen etc will probably change the way GR users shoot and that it definitely will be a different experience. Not sure the ibis will be that effective. I’ve had 3 axis stabilisation before, wasn’t very effective, 5 axis is where it’s at, for me at least.

I reckon this new model with its touch screen etc will probably change the way GR users shoot and that it definitely will be a different experience. Not sure the ibis will be that effective. I’ve had 3 axis stabilisation before, wasn’t very effective, 5 axis is where it’s at, for me at least.
Where the 3 and 5 axis systems of the same generation? I had the Olympus E-P5 (5axis) and E-M10 mkI (3axis) and really didn't notice that much difference at all between them.

Where the 3 and 5 axis systems of the same generation? I had the Olympus E-P5 (5axis) and E-M10 mkI (3axis) and really didn't notice that much difference at all between them.
I was referring to my old Olympus E-PL5. I found the ibis difference between that and my old E-P5 to be significant in favour of the E-P5. Didn’t make any difference with the pl5 so I’m wondering whether the same will apply for the Ricoh GR. It’s not a feature I really associate with that camera. If you can’t live without it, then maybe a Sony or and m43 camera is what one needs.

So, not many takers here then by the sound of it!

I’ll be getting one, just not for a little while...

The main reason for holding off is that I think that it would be the death of all my other cameras. I could quite easily go on holidays or even a photo specific trip and just use the GRII except for a little bit more IQ for the occasional cropping...

1/4 sec looked good if I remember right.
I agree. Certainly nothing to complain about on this front ... I still wish my Spanish was better; they talked about handling at length towards the end of the video, but I was unable to follow. They did like the touch interface, though.

I'll get the alternative out of my system (I'll do that today, in fact) and then wait patiently for the reviews to arrive. And of course, I'll go hands-on myself as soon as possible.

btw. My old GR (with the latest firmware, 5.01) smokes the G1X III at start-up and just beats the FZ1000; it's the fastest compact I own to get a sharp image - with AF! - from after a cold start; wait time (between the time I need to shift my finger from the on/off button to the shutter button and the camera actually firing) is only a split second. That's just to show what the GR III would have to clearly beat: It's mostly its older sibling ...

M.

Last edited:
I agree. Certainly nothing to complain about on this front ... I still wish my Spanish was better; they talked about handling at length towards the end of the video, but I was unable to follow. They did like the touch interface, though.

I'll get the alternative out of my system (I'll do that today, in fact) and then wait patiently for the reviews to arrive. And of course, I'll go hands-on myself as soon as possible.

btw. My old GR (with the latest firmware, 5.01) smokes the G1X III at start-up and just beats the FZ1000; it's the fastest compact I own to get a sharp image - with AF! - from after a cold start; wait time (between the time I need to shift my finger from the on/off button to the shutter button and the camera actually firing) is only a split second. That's just to show what the GR III would have to clearly beat: It's mostly its older sibling ...

M.
Good on you Matt for keeping it so pristine. My II has lost the quick AF, needs 2 shots on the shutter to avoid the blank screen and the grip is peeling off. All this as a result of literally every day use these past 4 years. Still have it every day with me though. But it does need to be put out of its misery which can explain why I’m maybe a bit keener than most for this new one to arrive.

I was referring to my old Olympus E-PL5. I found the ibis difference between that and my old E-P5 to be significant in favour of the E-P5. Didn’t make any difference with the pl5 so I’m wondering whether the same will apply for the Ricoh GR. It’s not a feature I really associate with that camera. If you can’t live without it, then maybe a Sony or and m43 camera is what one needs.
Yes the E-PL5 wasn't good. But they never really referred to that IS system as IBIS. The E-M10 mkI and E-PL7 were the first where Olympus described the IS system as 3 axis IBIS. Sorry confusion, I hear 3 axis IBIS and I think E-M10 mkI and not the earlier bodies.

I tried the RX100 VI again today, and while I came away with a somewhat more favourable impression and I fully acknowledge what a tiny powerhouse that camera is, I just can't see myself using it. As others have pointed out various times, there's such a thing as "too small", and I think I have to put the RX100 series into that category from my personal perspective, even with the add-on grip attached - which is strange, having liked the Canon S95 in the past, but it is what it is ...

So, I'll certainly wait until I can go hands-on with the GR III; though in all honesty, it's quite probable that I'll wait till my GR gives up the ghost (or gets serious dust on its sensor - it's too expensive having it cleaned here in Switzerland) before buying the new model.

I'm looking forward to everyone else's images and impressions.

M.

I tried the RX100 VI again today, and while I came away with a somewhat more favourable impression and I fully acknowledge what a tiny powerhouse that camera is, I just can't see myself using it. As others have pointed out various times, there's such a thing as "too small", and I think I have to put the RX100 series into that category from my personal perspective, even with the add-on grip attached - which is strange, having liked the Canon S95 in the past, but it is what it is ...

So, I'll certainly wait until I can go hands-on with the GR III; though in all honesty, it's quite probable that I'll wait till my GR gives up the ghost (or gets serious dust on its sensor - it's too expensive having it cleaned here in Switzerland) before buying the new model.

I'm looking forward to everyone else's images and impressions.

M.
That’s an interesting point you make about the Sony being too small whilst at the same time being ok with the Canon S95. I know exactly what you mean and I guess one of the main differences would be that the S95 is simpler in its operation. Which brings us to the GRIII. One of the things I’ll be looking for (in addition to seeing whether those b&w files are maintained) is to see that it is still simple in setup and use, despite all these new fandango features. That’s a bit of a dealbreaker actually.

Back