Ricoh Ricoh GR III

That’s an interesting point you make about the Sony being too small whilst at the same time being ok with the Canon S95. I know exactly what you mean and I guess one of the main differences would be that the S95 is simpler in its operation. Which brings us to the GRIII. One of the things I’ll be looking for (in addition to seeing whether those b&w files are maintained) is to see that it is still simple in setup and use, despite all these new fandango features. That’s a bit of a dealbreaker actually.
What I've seen so far looks like the menus are still very simple, I wouldn't worry too much about setup.

I guess one of the main differences would be that the S95 is simpler in its operation.

I have an RX100 V and really like it. But 90 percent of the time I use it as a point and shoot. Lucky for me the camera usually gets it right. But what pocketable one-inch sensored camera am I more likely to take with me? The Canon G9X. Flaws and all.

That’s an interesting point you make about the Sony being too small whilst at the same time being ok with the Canon S95. I know exactly what you mean and I guess one of the main differences would be that the S95 is simpler in its operation. Which brings us to the GRIII. One of the things I’ll be looking for (in addition to seeing whether those b&w files are maintained) is to see that it is still simple in setup and use, despite all these new fandango features. That’s a bit of a dealbreaker actually.
Spot on; just to illustrate this, the RX100 VI I tried today had exposure correction turned on, -1/3 of a stop, nothing major, but somewhat irritating because it remained that way after switching it off and on again. What's more, I wasn't able to figure out how to reset it on the fly - something like that shouldn't occur, considering how many cameras (including Sony models!) I've handled in the past couple of years.

On the GR, something like that simply doesn't happen; and if something's not how it should be, changing that setting is straightforward. The RX100 VI makes even simple tasks pretty complex because you usually have to apply a specific sequence of actions, and you definitely have to know your way around the menus and so-called quick menus. I really don't like that. On the other hand, I was able to set up the S95 to work more or less like a miniature GR ...

About the GR III: I'd be very surprised if it wasn't possible to tailor that camera's UI to your specific needs. But it had better be possible - because the button layout is considerably simpler and takes away some dedicated controls. However, it's more like the S95's now :)

We'll see how it turns out.

M.

The main reason for holding off is that I think that it would be the death of all my other cameras. I could quite easily go on holidays or even a photo specific trip and just use the GRII except for a little bit more IQ for the occasional cropping...
I can attest to this.
+1. I can see now that it pretty much killed off my m43 use and managed to see off my Fuji system too. Scary stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Battery life and, sadly, AF seem to be the main issues reported; IQ looks fantastic though. But as I suspected, probably not enough incentive for me to update. I'll wait for Imaging Resource and DPReview as well, though - especially the former because they do the kind of field tests that really help me get a reliable impression of things.

Here's another review: Ricoh GR III Full Review

M.

Battery life and, sadly, AF seem to be the main issues reported; IQ looks fantastic though. But as I suspected, probably not enough incentive for me to update. I'll wait for Imaging Resource and DPReview as well, though - especially the former because they do the kind of field tests that really help me get a reliable impression of things.

Here's another review: Ricoh GR III Full Review

M.
Too soon to predict a reworking of AF similar to the one for the 2013 GR, applied via firmware update? Maybe that's wishful thinking on my part, but, given the track record, I do expect to see subsequent deal-sweetening via firmware in whatever way. For a more cautious purchaser, waiting is a smart idea. For someone who wanted to sell a mint-condition GRII and get maximum value for it, I had to preorder because I wilt and may possibly die without a GR in my hand as soon as possible.

@MoonMind The way I look at it, the AF probably isn't worse than the GRII. So, better AF isn't one of the benefits I'll be getting (subject to confirmation when it's in my hand). The other benefits are still worthwhile enough for me to be satisfied - but only because I've earmarked this as my one and only splurge for the year.

I’m not too concerned with the battery life as I rarely take over 100 shots in an outing. I’ve also ordered a spare battery, and I have a really good powerbank.

I’ve also ordered the filter adapter and a quality protection filter. I often shoot near the sea and beaches. This will provide a little more protection against foreign bodies on the sensor.
I’m not really convinced about these sensor shaking dust removal systems.
Ok they might help a little but sooner or later something is bound to stick.

Slow focusing not much of an issue for my type of shooting. Also eye focus ?
Not really needed with a why dangle lens. Face detection should be close enough. Again, for my use.
I’ll be using it mostly for landscape and the odd one or two (thousand) of my dog.
I really like the 2gig of internal storage as I’ve been known to leave the sd card plugged into my iMac on more than a few occasions.
Every body has praised the touch screen so I’m looking forward to try that.
I did read that it runs a bit hot. But can’t remember where I saw it.
Hopefully it’s still going to be in my hand on Saturday sometime. I might even have time to get out with it.

Just putting this out there for any Aussies with a GRII in case you didn't see the post...

Back