Ricoh Ricoh GR III

I assume you mean it's fast on the GR? It sure wasn't on the LX100 vII I tried.

On / off is the big bull elephant for me, especially with the LX. I like how Fuji has the screen on/off. They keep the screen button active even when the rest of the screen is off. Makes it easy if you want it off, but you can turn it on quickly to adjust settings if you want or use the AF at odd angles.
You can find comparison videos now with a GRII and GRIII startup side by side, judge for yourself on how it would impact you. I find the 0.7-second startup of the GRIII lightning fast, especially when you watch how fast it punches that extendable lens out into the world.

Oh dear that’s pretty poor.
This is concerning me. I did mention I may cancel my order the other day based on what I learned from reading the owner manual. I since decided to give it a go. But this video is just mental. It even looks worse than the mk2.
My GR is arriving sometime today according to DPD . Do I open the parcel and use it to check for myself ? Or do I return without opening the box and see what happens regarding possible firmware fix and re order at a later date ?
Is there anyone else out there who is disappointed with what they are seeing here ?

Last edited:
In good light, it is not bad but it looks like the low light af is a problem. Hopefully they will improve the af with firmware but they have been testing this so long, it should have been fixed before the release. Of course you can use the snap focus...

In good light, it is not bad but it looks like the low light af is a problem. Hopefully they will improve the af with firmware but they have been testing this so long, it should have been fixed before the release. Of course you can use the snap focus...

I’ve got about half hour to make up my mind. You are right though. Will firmware sort out af after so long in development ? Unlikely I think.

Ok. I opened the box :dash2:. Set it up in 5 minutes flat. I'll set up user settings later. Minimal learning curve required.
First impressions very positive. Especially the touch screen. Very impressive.
I was worried about the adjust lever and the possibility of performing the wrong operation when moved by my big fat thumb. But no worries on that. A very positive action.
I was worried about the loss of exposure compensation buttons, and that function being taken over by the adjust lever. No worries there either. In fact I instantly prefer it !
The biggest worry for me is the focusing. But what i briefly tried seems ok. The videos I have seen regards low light af have been with the small af point. I used the standard size indoors and cloudy outside . No problems.
The stabilisation I've turned off for now to give me longer battery life. I will turn it on when my extra battery arrives.
This camera has a bit of heft for its size. Feels very high quality . Charging the battery now.
Going out to play shortly. :D

Ok. I opened the box :dash2:. Set it up in 5 minutes flat. I'll set up user settings later. Minimal learning curve required.
First impressions very positive. Especially the touch screen. Very impressive.
I was worried about the adjust lever and the possibility of performing the wrong operation when moved by my big fat thumb. But no worries on that. A very positive action.
I was worried about the loss of exposure compensation buttons, and that function being taken over by the adjust lever. No worries there either. In fact I instantly prefer it !
The biggest worry for me is the focusing. But what i briefly tried seems ok. The videos I have seen regards low light af have been with the small af point. I used the standard size indoors and cloudy outside . No problems.
The stabilisation I've turned off for now to give me longer battery life. I will turn it on when my extra battery arrives.
This camera has a bit of heft for its size. Feels very high quality . Charging the battery now.
Going out to play shortly. :D
Congrats! I'm also a little worried about a lot of reports of the camera becoming hot in operation. I suspect the battery is the culprit, and the really low battery life being reported may be due to the battery inefficiency. See if you notice heat issues and whether battery life correspondingly drops?

How's the 4-way controller? Does it wobble back and forth? Several reports of that, which I don't think is an actual fault, just the way it's built.
My copy appears quite tight with minimal wobble. A bit more grip would be nice but I’m not complaining.
What I would like is to enable shortcuts to
Touch screen on/off
Stabilisation On/off
Peaking on/off. And peaking in manual focus only.
(When peaking is on, its on in all focus modes ! ?)
I don’t do movies much but I’d like exposure lock at least.
Changing the iso had me scratching my head for a while !

"Elephants" are quantum creatures. They only exist relative to your own preferences.

Here's mine: Can you turn that bloody touchscreen off? I'm not ordering until I know.

Whatsamatta Bill? Don't you enjoy activating random stuff with your nose? (Oh that's right, it doesn't have a built-in viewfinder.)

I sure do enjoy the images that people produce with the GR series, but I think I would be cranky shooting with one.

Nevertheless, I wish all wonderfulness to those who are currently awaiting one.

Cheers, Jock

My copy appears quite tight with minimal wobble. A bit more grip would be nice but I’m not complaining.
What I would like is to enable shortcuts to
Touch screen on/off
Stabilisation On/off
Peaking on/off. And peaking in manual focus only.
(When peaking is on, its on in all focus modes ! ?)
I don’t do movies much but I’d like exposure lock at least.
Changing the iso had me scratching my head for a while !
If you're like me, you may forget how useful Ricoh's implementation of the custom slots in the mode dial are for switching between setups. Might be useful for peaking, stabilization etc.

If you're like me, you may forget how useful Ricoh's implementation of the custom slots in the mode dial are for switching between setups. Might be useful for peaking, stabilization etc.

That was another thing. In the custom set up menu, edit settings is no longer an option. I found this very useful on the previous models.
One thing I was worried about loosing is still there, and improved. The in body raw conversation. No other camera I know is as good as this.
For those who don’t know, when converting raw in camera the Ricoh has a preview. So every change you make you can see the effects. Unlike my XT2 for example. You can make changes but you can’t see the result until you save it. Pretty pointless.

Lots of people on another forum complaining about rattling and clunking.
Yes mine does that. If I shake it when it’s switched off. Not worried. Normal for ibis. My reply would be stop bloody shaking it when it’s switched off, what do you want to shake it for anyway !!!!

Oh yeah. Forgot to say. Yesterday while out I saw an upturned mushroom on the grass. Loads of contrast , light levels was giving me 80th sec F4. iso 640. So not dark. It positively refused to focus. This was from about 600mm. I tried it closer on macro. Still didn’t focus. Tried for ages !! Trying to split the focus point over high contrasts areas in the frame.
How annoying. Yet later in the evening I was getting focus in iso 6400 territory
1/8sec f4 .
No I’m not unduly worried about the focus issues. For the amount of times I’m likely to encounter that situation I’ll work around it. But for others I can see it being a deal breaker. Come on Ricoh, get it sorted.
Me. I think it’s going to be a keeper.
The next big thing I want to check is screen visabillity in strong sunlight.
Any questions I’ll be glad to answer

Back