Ricoh Ricoh GR III

I don't think the GR III will ever compare against the fastest AF among the competition, because it's made for absolute IQ and that includes moving a larger group of optical glass to obtain focus, as opposed to designing a bigger lens with an additional element just for focusing, which would likely subtract a little IQ in addition to adding bulk/weight. That's why Ricoh includes snap focus, after all. Enthusiasts have always had to put up with quirks with the GR series, I've gathered (as someone who only joined the GR cult with the GR II).
I didn't mean to imply that it wouldn't sell now. :redface: But a little fast action by Ricoh will bring more into the fold.

I'm usually quite happy with the AF performance of the GR - so if the GR III matches or exceeds that, I'd be fine. If the low light issues (that aren't there on the GR to this degree) are addressed, things appear more interesting again. I'm with @drd1135 - this may actually be worth my money in the not-too-distant future ...

M.

The firmware update really does help low light focus speed! It's not a speed demon, but it cuts hunting and focus range scanning way down. Bravo to Ricoh for pushing something out so fast!

I just updated mine and echo your comments. Lower light AF is definitely quicker than before. In really low light it still is very leisurely.

I'm more impressed on how quickly Ricoh attempted to address user concerns. Expect more improvements to come in the future.

Off to Disney next week, so the Ricoh will get its first intense usage. 3 batteries and a power bank will be in tow. :)

I just updated mine and echo your comments. Lower light AF is definitely quicker than before. In really low light it still is very leisurely.

I'm more impressed on how quickly Ricoh attempted to address user concerns. Expect more improvements to come in the future.

Off to Disney next week, so the Ricoh will get its first intense usage. 3 batteries and a power bank will be in tow. :)
Should be interesting to use at Disney Springs and at the flower and garden show. By the way, if you like barbecue be sure to go to The Polite Pig at Disney springs

I'm really starting to hate these enthusiastic GR iii reviews. :(
Really? What I've seen so far hasn't been *that* enthusiastic. If it helps, I can say that the Image Sync app that it's supposed to work with is truly awful, just as it was with the II. If I had one of the Pentax DSLRs where a remote app might be far more important, I'd be extremely p":<sed off. It basically doesn't work.

Some images taken over the last 5 or so days, the first one with virtually no PP, the second one PP'd to taste.

33805494518_65b3a95dee_b.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Untitled by Otim, on Flickr

33805494508_93e162c7df_b.jpg
Untitled by Otim, on Flickr

Same sensor as the KP as I understand it, so the files are like that of a current Pentax as opposed to what one would have understood to be a Ricoh file. That's not a bad thing of course, but the difference is definitely there.

Really? What I've seen so far hasn't been *that* enthusiastic. If it helps, I can say that the Image Sync app that it's supposed to work with is truly awful, just as it was with the II. If I had one of the Pentax DSLRs where a remote app might be far more important, I'd be extremely p":<sed off. It basically doesn't work.
Are you talking about after the update/firmware 1.10? Ricoh said in the readme info that the Image Sync app is only partially complete at this point, so don't count your chickens quite yet.

The af might be criticized but the IQ has been usually praised. That’s what matters to me most in this type of camera.

Kai Wong has a review up on his YouTube channel, in typical fashion it's pretty reasonable and entertaining. He's pretty big on the camera, I wasn't sure what to expect from him since the DigitalRev video on the original APS-C GR was kind of lukewarm. In the new video he says he really likes the GR II (which then happens to break at the conclusion of the video!).

DPR review is actually pretty good. The reader base is a good deal more polarized, it seems, than the review staff, probably largely due to the latter having the camera in their hands instead of just looking at spec sheets and winding up the echo chamber.

I think nearly everybody who actually owns one of these pocket wonders is pretty happy with it.

Niche cameras with quirks are never going to survive in a general forum discussion. fortunately for Richo, those who actually like the GR series are a more thoughtful group who understand a tool that can produce great IQ but has some operational shortcomings. I know it's only a matter of time before I buy a GR. The GR ii is a great price, but I find myself shooting in a lot of low light situations so the III is probably worth it for me.

Niche cameras with quirks are never going to survive in a general forum discussion. fortunately for Richo, those who actually like the GR series are a more thoughtful group who understand a tool that can produce great IQ but has some operational shortcomings. I know it's only a matter of time before I buy a GR. The GR ii is a great price, but I find myself shooting in a lot of low light situations so the III is probably worth it for me.
Yes, I would definitely recommend the GRIII. The former model really is even more of a niche camera due to the outdated sensor. It means shooting as close to base ISO as possible or else leaning into the heavy grain. And there's the dust issue, which made me return my first copy of the GRII for a replacement due to dust out of the box.

You'd be much happier with a GRIII.

2019-06-15 11.15.12 1.jpg

How are we all going with the lens ring? Must be about 3 times now mine has fallen off. Only a matter of time before I'll be in the market for a new one. It was better on the II for sure.

Back