Ricoh Ricoh GR III

Firmware update 1.30 is out now! It adds back in the excellent Cross Process effect that I really enjoyed in the GR II. It's even better now with the added image parameters, including the ability to change between blue, magenta and yellow for the cross process effect.

The patch notes indicate the macro-range focus has been improved as well, another response to user feedback, along with some enhancements to custom function settings for a couple options and "improved stability for general performance."

This has been the best firmware support in the shortest amount of time that I've seen in a camera. Bravo to Ricoh for being so dedicated.

Firmware update 1.30 is out now! It adds back in the excellent Cross Process effect that I really enjoyed in the GR II. It's even better now with the added image parameters, including the ability to change between blue, magenta and yellow for the cross process effect.

The patch notes indicate the macro-range focus has been improved as well, another response to user feedback, along with some enhancements to custom function settings for a couple options and "improved stability for general performance."

This has been the best firmware support in the shortest amount of time that I've seen in a camera. Bravo to Ricoh for being so dedicated.
Updated. Macro focus deffo not improved alas, very un-Ricoh like.

How are we all going with the lens ring? Must be about 3 times now mine has fallen off. Only a matter of time before I'll be in the market for a new one. It was better on the II for sure.

I user a small strip of gaffer tape on the bottom of the ring to secure it to the body. Did that for my old GR as well and it worked a treat. :)

On the topic of Firmware updates, I haven't updated mine yet, but good to see Ricoh continuing with their ways to continually improve their cameras.

Bit of an update: while I generally pooh-pooh all of the complaining about perceived flaws in the GR III design and manufacture, I did notice one of the early complaints applied to me - no, not the silly "wobbly dial" complaint, but the fact that the lens assembly isn't quite flush, and has a larger gap/opening on one side than the other. I didn't think much of it, but recently started to notice some dust, which I determined probably wasn't on the sensor, as it wasn't hard-edged at f16 and the sensor cleaning didn't do anything to change it. I think it is on the IR-cut filter or whatever the glass filter is called on this model, the one that supposedly seals the sensor from the front lens assembly. I strengthened this impression by taking a dust blower to the gap between the lens barrel and outer lens assembly, which moved the dust around but didn't eliminate it. So, I decided to send the camera in to Precision Camera with a description of what was up. Also taking the opportunity to ask them to replace one of the screws on the side of the camera, which disappeared one day, never to return.

Precision Camera has plenty of detractors, but the one other time I have used them for a repair I found them to be pretty fast and quite decent. I watched the web portal and saw that my camera was only in the shop for a couple of days and now shows it is out of repair. I called Precision to see if they had notes on what was done; they told me they replaced the lens assembly under warranty. Quick job, and actually addressed the issue I brought up!

I've yet to see just what the workmanship looks like, but until I receive my camera back at least I have to be impressed with the quick turnaround and complete acceptance of what I related to be the problem.

Of interest to GR users, this Ricoh/Pentax interview: Interview with Ricoh Imaging General Sales Manager for Europe: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

One of the most important products of our group is the Ricoh GR, the ideal device for street photography. We launched the Ricoh GR III 6 months ago and we are enjoying an extraordinary success: compared to the sales we made with the GR II we have had an absolutely incredible jump, especially in Europe where we have multiplied our sales by 7 or 8. It's therefore one of the pillars of the group today and one of the areas Ricoh are investing heavily in. In the future, many developments in the GR range are to be expected.

It sounds to me like the company knows they need to pivot (they admitted quite frankly that DSLRs won't cut it in the future), and looks at mirrorless as an inevitability but is afraid of not having the lenses. At least they realize they can't do some half-hearted mirrorless offering like the K-01 with its huge flange distance and DSLR lenses. They even broach the idea of entering into a mount partnership. So what would everyone else like to see? I know what I'd like, and that's for the successful GR to be the influence (and maybe the same name/branding) for whatever push Ricoh/Pentax eventually makes into the mirrorless market. The GR already does so much well, and so differently from the competition, that a mirrorless concept based on and refined from this model would have an instant market, I'd think. (an L-mount partnership wouldn't be too bad either.)

Of interest to GR users, this Ricoh/Pentax interview: Interview with Ricoh Imaging General Sales Manager for Europe: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

It sounds to me like the company knows they need to pivot (they admitted quite frankly that DSLRs won't cut it in the future), and looks at mirrorless as an inevitability but is afraid of not having the lenses. At least they realize they can't do some half-hearted mirrorless offering like the K-01 with its huge flange distance and DSLR lenses. They even broach the idea of entering into a mount partnership. So what would everyone else like to see? I know what I'd like, and that's for the successful GR to be the influence (and maybe the same name/branding) for whatever push Ricoh/Pentax eventually makes into the mirrorless market. The GR already does so much well, and so differently from the competition, that a mirrorless concept based on and refined from this model would have an instant market, I'd think. (an L-mount partnership wouldn't be too bad either.)
I just had a bit of a flash from imagining a compact GR work-alike with an interchangeable lens mount ... Maybe as part of the L mount alliance? Maybe even full frame? I'd slap the Sigma 45mm f/2.8 C on it and be done ... Honestly, that's quite am intriguing idea you have there.

M

I just had a bit of a flash from imagining a compact GR work-alike with an interchangeable lens mount ... Maybe as part of the L mount alliance? Maybe even full frame? I'd slap the Sigma 45mm f/2.8 C on it and be done ... Honestly, that's quite am intriguing idea you have there.

M
Totally agree. I'd love to see them join the L mount alliance even though I'd probably have to save for awhile before being able to pick one up!

A small APS-C mirrorless ILC would be tempting. Pentax has a history of making nice pancake lenses. My problem with the current GR series is that I have bought two 28 mm fixed lens cameras and sold them. 28 is just not my favorite focal length.

A small APS-C mirrorless ILC would be tempting. Pentax has a history of making nice pancake lenses. My problem with the current GR series is that I have bought two 28 mm fixed lens cameras and sold them. 28 is just not my favorite focal length.
I have a weird fluctuating habit with 28mm. I will go along for a while really liking the focal length, and then some use of something like 40mm (possibly my all time favorite) will completely destroy my ability to frame in 28mm, until I re-cultivate it. It doesn't seem like that big of a thing until it happens and I really struggle for a little while with 28mm. I think the reason for it is that with a 28mm you really need to consider angles, perspective and closeness to the main subject to get ratios of subject to background just right, it takes work, whereas a 40mm is a good lens for straight up laziness - nearly any composition looks good!

I have a weird fluctuating habit with 28mm. I will go along for a while really liking the focal length, and then some use of something like 40mm (possibly my all time favorite) will completely destroy my ability to frame in 28mm, until I re-cultivate it. It doesn't seem like that big of a thing until it happens and I really struggle for a little while with 28mm. I think the reason for it is that with a 28mm you really need to consider angles, perspective and closeness to the main subject to get ratios of subject to background just right, it takes work, whereas a 40mm is a good lens for straight up laziness - nearly any composition looks good!

I go back forth between 28mm and 35mm. The worse part is I tend to buy and sell and re-buy and re..... I think I've owned the Pan 14mm three times and two X70s. Pair that with 4 (5?) Oly 17mm f/1.8. :coco:

Back