Ricoh Ricoh GR Sub-Forum...?

I don't think anyone is trying to slight the mighty GR. It's more about not having a subforum for every camera on the market. There's not many non-GR threads in that forum anyways....it's not like you need to wade through thousands of Nikon A threads to find stuff about the GR.

Look at the m43 forum.....that forum covers over 20 cameras.

It's not like there's all that much more to say about a fixed lens camera once it's been around for several months. It's down to mostly people posting images and the less and less frequent questions that pop up. I think most of the sub-forums in that section dealing with individual camera models are pretty well past their sell-by dates as is. The Sigma sub-forum makes sense to me because it's for a whole small line of cameras and there different enough to spur plenty of questions and discussion. But do we really still need sub-forums for the Leica X series, the Canon G1X, even the X100 and the two Sony RX models? I'm not sure how you'd eliminate a forum once it's there without having to relocate a lot of content, but I'd be inclined towards having less individual camera sub-forums rather than more. To the extent the GR needed one, I'd say it was back in April and May, not now....

-Ray

I also think the GR doesn't need it's own separate subforum as most posts on that subforum (1"> compact) are about the GR anyway :D

I was thinking it would be a good organizational idea as well as offering an easy way for new users to go right to the Ricoh GR forum. When I first came here I had to search a little for it.

It would seem that the more activity a camera has, regardless of the release date, the greater the need for a sub-forum. The G1X and Leica X1/X2 have not had any new posts since September, all of the rest are active daily... and most of the posts in the "other" category are about the GR, so, that kind of makes the point...

It would seem that the more activity a camera has, regardless of the release date, the greater the need for a sub-forum. The G1X and Leica X1/X2 have not had any new posts since September, all of the rest are active daily... and most of the posts in the "other" category are about the GR, so, that kind of makes the point...

My only point is that sub-sub forums for individual cameras are a relatively short-term need, to the extent that it's a need. I can see Tom's point about it being easier for a new member to know where to put a post, but once a particular camera has been around a while, the traffic on it, other than images, goes down quite a bit. The Leica X and Canon G1X make the point. The other's are still somewhat active, but their day will come too, as will the GR's. At which point, the sub sub forums seem to me to mostly confuse matters because I'm guessing it's not a trivial task to reorganize all of the content generated in those sub-forums in to other forums or root forums so the sub-forums can later go away - the fact that there's still a Casio sub-forum in the sub-1 inch sensor section seems to bear that out. I could be wrong about this - I'm not a mod on this forum so I've never tried it. So, I guess I'm suggesting that maybe we shouldn't have sub sub forums for individual models, but let them co-exist in the >1" area, searchable so that people can find stuff. That way once a camera has run it's course, it's content will still be in a logical location, searchable and findable, but without a sub-forum dedicated to it taking up space and eventually confusing matters...

Not suggesting that the GR is unworthy of it's own forum, but if it was gonna have one, it should have been there since the early days when most of the new questions were popping up and it was getting even more attention than now. All IMHO, of course...

-Ray

Back