Ricoh Ricoh GRD III - Dust Bunnies

Duane Pandorf

Top Veteran
I guess it was inevitable with what I put the camera thru while on our backpacking trip but I have a couple dust bunnies on the sensor. I will post a photo later as I'm posting this from my iPhone in the car on my way home from work.

Criscam.com is the only authorized repair center and they offer a $57 or so clean and check service I guess I will have to have.

I've double checked the lens. I had a third party lens cover over the lens housing the entire time I was in the field along with an LCD cover. But the dust on the extended lens housing must have entered the camera while opening and closing so many times in the field.

I guess it was inevitable with what I put the camera thru while on our backpacking trip but I have a couple dust bunnies on the sensor. I will post a photo later as I'm posting this from my iPhone in the car on my way home from work.

Criscam.com is the only authorized repair center and they offer a $57 or so clean and check service I guess I will have to have.

I've double checked the lens. I had a third party lens cover over the lens housing the entire time I was in the field along with an LCD cover. But the dust on the extended lens housing must have entered the camera while opening and closing so many times in the field.

ohnooo! :eek: I thought compact non-interchangeable lens cameras were immune to lens dust. Good luck with repairs :(

I hope that this hiatus won't be too painful. I'd never have thought about dust getting in...but considering your roughing it so much on the trail, I guess none of us should be surprised. $57 doesn't sound bad to me, Dorf.

Fingers crossed for an easy fix!

I am sorry to hear that. Good luck with the repairs and hope to see new images soon.

This may sound a little crazy, but I've heard of a few people extending the lens and putting their vacuum cleaner attachment over it. Turn vacuum on for a few seconds and dust issues were resolved. Could be worth a try. :)

James

This may sound a little crazy, but I've heard of a few people extending the lens and putting their vacuum cleaner attachment over it. Turn vacuum on for a few seconds and dust issues were resolved. Could be worth a try. :)

James

Well I did the vacuum trick today and I think may have solved the dust bunnies! I haven't had a chance to upload the photos but I can't see the same two spots I could easily see from the LCD.

Well my dust bunnies are back on my GRD III. I've done the vacuum trick again but I can't lodge it. This stinks. The dust is at the 12 o'clock position about 1/4 of the way down from the top of the screen. Major bummer.

I'm hoping the GXR and 28mm A12 module won't have these issues.

Dorf, time to rethink the vacuum trick.
I have many times with different cameras used a blower first then a vacuum. The blower will dislodge any gremlins and of course the Vac will suck them out...

Lots of places where there are public toilets, they have those great blower hand driers.
I thought they were for cleaning cameras. I use them whenever I find them.

Dorf, time to rethink the vacuum trick.
I have many times with different cameras used a blower first then a vacuum. The blower will dislodge any gremlins and of course the Vac will suck them out...

Lots of places where there are public toilets, they have those great blower hand driers.
I thought they were for cleaning cameras. I use them whenever I find them.

I actually tried using my Bosch nail gun compressor with the small blower attachment and hit it pretty hard with it. The I used my Sears shop vac. But no luck.

I didn't have luck with a Bosch either. The DeWalt works good but the Husky is great.
You can use mine if ya want.

I find it hard to believe that the blower didn't dislodge the stuff....

I didn't have luck with a Bosch either. The DeWalt works good but the Husky is great.
You can use mine if ya want.

I find it hard to believe that the blower didn't dislodge the stuff....

Went through the procedure again this morning and it appears I have dislodged the dust bunnies for now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The challenge then is figuring a way to take my compressor and shop vac with me when I go on the road. :D

You need the Leica VacuPressor. It's on 3 wheels and straps to your waist pack. Uphill is a little taxing but level ground is ok. BTW, it also brews a mean cup of coffee.
I think it sells on eBay for around $47,000.00. Not bad for Leica quality.

You need the Leica VacuPressor. It's on 3 wheels and straps to your waist pack. Uphill is a little taxing but level ground is ok. BTW, it also brews a mean cup of coffee.
I think it sells on eBay for around $47,000.00. Not bad for Leica quality.

This may be an answer for eliminating the lens assembly as a dust source while the camera is in your pocket without a case:

Ricoh GL-1

opit_17_u.jpg

hmmmmm, Mike posted that before. Maybe that is a reasonable solution. I generally keep my camera in a front pocket but I have started to use a Tamrac 5217 case. It's perfect for the GRD, 2 un needed extra batteries and a mini lenspen.... I'm gearing up for jeans and the less pockets then shorts issue.

I've been keeping mine in my front pocket and I believe that's where my dust problem comes from. My wife does not like me wearing baggy trousers but that's what I've been wearing to have the cam with me all the time.

hmmmm, I carry it in my front jeans pocket..... maybe I should give it a good dust check.... sometimes there dust in everything I own. Refinishing floors is conducive to attracting dust.

I can only imagine the amount of dust created refinishing wood floors. I just started redoing our master bath plus going on a canoe/camping trip this weekend with 18 scouts and 10 of us adults. Should get a good workout with the GRD.

Btw, just got this post from the ricohforum:

Ricoh Forum • View topic - Ricoh announces the GR DIGITAL IV

"Yes, the GL-1 will work with the GRDIII as well, including the power lock feature. You will just have to update your GRDIII with upcoming FW."

Back