Ricoh Ricoh grd iv

• ISO 3200: This is likely, although I don't know that Ricoh will do this. Especially since they seem to be holding on to the "less is more" mentality with ISO and MP ratings. Which is great for a small sensor camera.

• 14 MP Sensor: IMO, this is a terrible idea and if they make the sensor 14 MP, then I'll definitely steer far, far away from it. I don't see the point in cramming an extra 4 MP in that same tiny sensor. If it's got an APS-C sensor in it, then maybe. But I still think 10-12 would be plenty even for that. At the current size, 10 MP is plenty.

• 1.8 Lens: The GRD3 has a 1.9 lens already so this would be essentially the same glass. I don't see a change on the way in this department at all.

• GRD1 JPEG Filter: Doubtful. While I'm sure it can be done, it's unlikely that they would. More than likely, they'll be working on new algorithms for the new camera.

Actually you might be surprised. I am hearing some interesting things.

Sue, +1! Fingers crossed its true, and a little increase in IQ wouldn't do any harm though ;-)

Hope that fast phase detect focusinging can be applied to any future GXR camera modules like new versions of the current lenses with perhaps the 16mp sony sensor - e.g. A16 50mm macro, A16 28mm - because slow af seemss to be the main complaint of the GXR A12s atm

I'll have to see the actual announcement. IS isn't an issue for me with this camera. And I'm pretty much always in snap focus for anything that AF speed would matter for. Not sure there's anything in this one for me, but maybe it'll surprise me...

-Ray

updated image processor
iso 3200
image stabilization
'Hybrid AF' system
Sony's WhiteMagic RGBW LCD screen
The camera's electronic level gauge has also been overhauled, and now detects not only horizontal roll, but also tilt inclination
New Auto-bracketing options for contrast and dynamic range compensation

* A limited edition white version

Ray I've been checking your shots out. I'm very jealous - a flexible often spontaneous style with superb results. I especially enjoyed the family shots from the fete/parade day with the kids looking tired and gloomy. Keep it up!

I'm not sure how much difference the camera really makes beyond a certain point but I hope it'll help me. I'll be getting one of these as an upgrade from my phone camera, which simply isn't up to quite a lot of the shots I want taken.

Ray I've been checking your shots out. I'm very jealous - a flexible often spontaneous style with superb results. I especially enjoyed the family shots from the fete/parade day with the kids looking tired and gloomy. Keep it up!

I'm not sure how much difference the camera really makes beyond a certain point but I hope it'll help me. I'll be getting one of these as an upgrade from my phone camera, which simply isn't up to quite a lot of the shots I want taken.

Thanks so much for the kind words. As Don always points out, all the camera can do is not get in the way of recording your vision. This one gets out of the way as well as anything I've ever shot with. Have fun with it when you get it. It should be a pretty serious upgrade from a phone camera.

-Ray

Back