Ricoh Ricoh grd iv

I'm not sure how much difference the camera really makes beyond a certain point but I hope it'll help me. I'll be getting one of these as an upgrade from my phone camera, which simply isn't up to quite a lot of the shots I want taken.

bloloko, promise to keep us up-to-date on your GRD 4's arrival, and in the mean time please stop by for a hello over on the Welcomes and Introductions forum.;)

As it happens, I'm with you on Ray's style and output...though I do feel sorry for those kids quite often.:tongue:

As I read more and more posts by tech weenies and people that have no clue as to what the Ricoh GR1, Gr1s, Gr1v, GRD, GRD 2, GRD 3 and GRD 4 are about I convinced these people are not photographers. Learn the history before you post gibberish about wanting a 40mm GRD 4. Try to shoot street in Tokyo and NYC with a 40mm lens and then get back to me. 28mm is perfect period.

28mm is perfect period.
I don't think there's a single focal length that's right or perfect for everyone, so I can understand some people wanting something longer. I personally find 28 to be my sweet-spot and that's part of what I love about the GRD3. But I'm comfortable shooting from about 24-35 and do enough of all of those. But if I had to pick one and stick with it, it would be 28mm. I wish the X100 had been 28 instead of 35, but I like it a lot anyway. And I wish the quality of the new Olympus 12mm lens was available in a 14mm also (or instead of). But Cartier Bresson shot with a 50mm almost all of the time, so I can't be too exclusive about 28mm as the be all - end all for everyone.

-Ray

I don't think there's a single focal length that's right or perfect for everyone, so I can understand some people wanting something longer. I personally find 28 to be my sweet-spot and that's part of what I love about the GRD3. But I'm comfortable shooting from about 24-35 and do enough of all of those. But if I had to pick one and stick with it, it would be 28mm. I wish the X100 had been 28 instead of 35, but I like it a lot anyway. And I wish the quality of the new Olympus 12mm lens was available in a 14mm also (or instead of). But Cartier Bresson shot with a 50mm almost all of the time, so I can't be too exclusive about 28mm as the be all - end all for everyone.

-Ray

Bresson had the luxury of a much less crowded world.

1+ Mike....

Also keep in mind that Bresson was an artist 1st. His photography played 2nd fiddle. So, his natural FOV would be influenced by prints and paintings etc. A 50mm would allow closer scrutiny of details.
Gary on the other side of the street liked 21 & 28 due to the ability to bring more into the frame and he played with details in a different way.

The 28 in the GRD is a good compromise. I think it would be nice to have the ability to change to 21mm & 40mm on this camera. I would never use it but many would like the option.

FOV depends on how and what you see. A lens should provide that without compromise.

1+ Mike....

Also keep in mind that Bresson was an artist 1st. His photography played 2nd fiddle. So, his natural FOV would be influenced by prints and paintings etc. A 50mm would allow closer scrutiny of details.
Gary on the other side of the street liked 21 & 28 due to the ability to bring more into the frame and he played with details in a different way.

The 28 in the GRD is a good compromise. I think it would be nice to have the ability to change to 21mm & 40mm on this camera. I would never use it but many would like the option.

FOV depends on how and what you see. A lens should provide that without compromise.

The 21mm adapter does work with the GRD 4. If I remember correctly there was a lens flare problem with the 40mm adapter. I don't see Ricoh ever changing the 28mm lens on the GRD line. They would be the first ones to tell you if you want zoom or 40mm this isn't the camera for you.

GR DIGITAL IV / Digital Cameras | Ricoh Global

My first GRD camera (a GRD2) trained me to work with 28mm, and ever since it is perhaps my favorite focal length. As Don comments, a good compromise.

My first GRD camera (a GRD2) trained me to work with 28mm, and ever since it is perhaps my favorite focal length.

same to me. I started with an analogue gr1v 12 years ago and meanwhile I scan my surroundings with the 28mm view. this focal lenght is awesome to show a person within situations. but there are much more possibilities...

I am fine with most anything between 21 to 35, 24 or 28 are the great sweet spot lengths for street photos, I am getting used to the 35 on the Fuji X100 but would prefer a 28mm, I think the the GRD would absolutely prefect with a 24mm but am very happy with the 28mm. When I used to use to shoot with my Contax G2s one always had the 21 mounted on it. Years ago almost bough a new GR 21 while in Japan but wimped out at the last minute, I still regret it to this day.

Back