Ricoh Ricoh GRD3 HiBW images

Wow Will, you must be checking out Ralph Gibson. I know that these are your images but I would pay very close attention to the milk bottles. That image could very well be the start of a very interesting series.
I really like that a lot.... a real lot.... it transcends what the thread was meant to be.... great image!
don

Will, that milk bottle shot is incredible. I've seen the first one on Flickr and I think I said something there, but the second one is in another class altogether.

Its funny, I tend not to shoot with that setting/filter because I could achieve the same thing with a B&W processing program and you do close off some options with it, but the fact is I generally don't end up with that type of processing often and sometimes shooting with that filter set really allows you to see differently. This one is brilliant and you may not have ended up with that treatment by any other means. Really well done. Think I'll take a walk with that set in the next couple of days - haven't really used that setting since June at the shore.

-Ray

Don, Ray, Mark,
Many many thanks for your comments. I'm a bit taken aback!
I really liked that shot and it was one of those that almost composed itself as I was approaching. I didn't even stop walking as I took it. I hadn't knowingly seen Ralph Gibsons work Don but I certainly have now and am wondering if Ricoh may have had him in mind and set up the HiBW to emulate his look? I love your images here don, and the recent ones on your flickr stream and am honoured that you say I may have inspired you at all to take them.

Ray I can't wait to see what may come of you intention to go the way of HiBW in the coming days and hope it may take the pressure off me following up that bottle image (I'm now a bit nervous of living up to expectations Mark ;) )

Cool

Wonderful stuff Will, I too love super contrasty type pics, with almost no tone at all.
As you can see from a couple of mine oldies.

starbucks_chair1.JPG

urban_10resized.JPG

Grats, Keep em coming.
Pete

One of the things I found surprising about HIBW is how much latitude is still in the files if you want to process them just a bit. The toning in Don's shots above tell me he imported those jpegs into SEP for processing. I haven't been out shooting much recently, but here are a couple of HIBW shots I did a couple of months ago that benefited a LOT from a bit of processing. In a way I guess it sort of defeats the purpose, but I just can't leave 'em alone and I don't think it detracts from the basic feel of the photo. Here are three before and after...

View attachment 41284

View attachment 41285

View attachment 41286

View attachment 41287

View attachment 41288

View attachment 41289

Will, here's what I wrote on Flickr:

The first thing I thought was - stellar. Next, I thought how this is another example of what excites me about your pictures - they're intense.

They're your eyes Will, no matter which camera you use.

After falling for this picture, I couldn't help but think of Bill Brandt's black and whites" www.billbrandt.com/Shop/printshop.html

Looking forward to more and more, Will.

Spode,
I tried to increase your image size but alas, no luck.
If you need assistance, either the "no GRD3 BB or myself are here.
Of course the mods are also but they are very busy peeps.

Nice stuff everyone. This is the only camera ever that I can live with a jpeg file.
Pete, ya gotz yers yet?

Roger that gal but I thought it would draw more having it large on the post.
Your right of course... I'm always wrong...boo hoo

If ya wanna try the camera BB.... You know what ta do...
Brudder

No,no... I agree that larger attachments would be better, Don. Uploading to the gallery is even better...or embedding from a website.

Oh, and I will continue to admire the GRD3 from afar.;)

Back