Ricoh Ricoh GXR + 28mm module

tattee

Regular
Hi this is my first post. Sharing you some of my first images from my GXR.

B & W

6134216143_7f0764961e.jpg

6134254413_4786e4ffa1.jpg

6104504745_9741bc9fcc.jpg

Color

6104505229_87a131ecbe.jpg

6134233183_79a2b75a6f.jpg

Hi tattee - I agree with christilou, I really like the B&W photos, well done :) oh by the way, welcome to the site, hope you'll enjoy it here :)

Nice tattee.
I got my GXR today. It took less then 10 minutes to set up and it's an amazing camera system. I'll post some photos as soon as I can.
Please continue to do what your doing.
Thanks....don

ps... A great feature is that it shares the same battery as the X100.
How sweet it is....

Streetshooter said:
Nice tattee.
I got my GXR today. It took less then 10 minutes to set up and it's an amazing camera system. I'll post some photos as soon as I can.
Please continue to do what your doing.
Thanks....don

ps... A great feature is that it shares the same battery as the X100.
How sweet it is....

Don bought a GF-1 and I bought a GF-1. Don bought a NEX and I bought a NEX. Don bought a X100 and I didn't buy an X100. Whew, but it was close. I hope to keep the new streak alive now that Don has a GXR but I must admit I'm awfully tempted by the GXR and M-mount module.

Are you getting the M-mount module, Don?

Thanks Sue!:redface: I've seen you flickr photostream as well and loved it!:) You have some very interesting subjects I could only dream of.:D And we have the same taste for cameras. I was choosing between the X100, GXR, and K5 and ended up with the GXR in the end due to price difference. I couldn't afford the other two.:tongue:

Don, please share your shots.:) What module are you using on the GXR? Have you tried using the X100 battery on the GXR? I was also thinking of using the X100 battery but hesitated coz I haven't heard any feedback from someone who've tried it.

Travis, I have a real bad aversion about my Leica lenses getting cropped on any camera. So, no I'm not going that direction. The GXR has the typical shooter designed interface. There exist nothing better other then an M4.
The A12 28 & 50 are stellar.
Ya know, after all these years with digital cameras, I once again realize that I love working from the screen. Finders of any type take away from my experience.
The screen allows me to see the print as it's being framed. That's something a finder doesn't allow. Even an EVF has your eye peeled to it so the experience of seeing a 2 dimensional image alive, surrounded by a 3 dimensional reality is tampered with.
Travis.... Just do it....!

Thanks Sue!:redface: I've seen you flickr photostream as well and loved it!:) You have some very interesting subjects I could only dream of.:D And we have the same taste for cameras. I was choosing between the X100, GXR, and K5 and ended up with the GXR in the end due to price difference. I couldn't afford the other two.:tongue:

Don, please share your shots.:) What module are you using on the GXR? Have you tried using the X100 battery on the GXR? I was also thinking of using the X100 battery but hesitated coz I haven't heard any feedback from someone who've tried it.

Well, once you get to know me you figure out that I'm 2cents short on patience. I put a fully charged X100 battery in the camera as I opened the box. It's the same exact battery.
My daughter went all out and got me the 28, 50 and 24-72. I won't use the zoom cause I'm a prime shooter. I'm prime age wise also.

So a new era begins for me. I am already inspired. I never even thought I'd want to sell the X100 but this camera put me over the edge.
I'm too old to use an eye level finder anymore. I just had enough of that the past 45 or so years.

Guess ya can tell I'm excited.... Guilty as charged!

Don bought a GF-1 and I bought a GF-1. Don bought a NEX and I bought a NEX. Don bought a X100 and I didn't buy an X100. Whew, but it was close. I hope to keep the new streak alive now that Don has a GXR but I must admit I'm awfully tempted by the GXR and M-mount module.

Are you getting the M-mount module, Don?

You did good, except when you decided not to buy a X100;) The files it produces are remarkable, better than the GXR imho, although the Ricoh is no slouch either. I had the GXR with the 50mm equiv. lensor. Now what I have seen so far produced by Bill and others with the GXR M module looks really compelling, a file quality which might even slightly surpass the one produced by the X100.

Well, once you get to know me you figure out that I'm 2cents short on patience. I put a fully charged X100 battery in the camera as I opened the box. It's the same exact battery.
My daughter went all out and got me the 28, 50 and 24-72. I won't use the zoom cause I'm a prime shooter. I'm prime age wise also.

So a new era begins for me. I am already inspired. I never even thought I'd want to sell the X100 but this camera put me over the edge.
I'm too old to use an eye level finder anymore. I just had enough of that the past 45 or so years.

Guess ya can tell I'm excited.... Guilty as charged!

Sorry to hear that you consider selling the X00, no looking through a true finder anymore?, but at a camera (screen) for composing and framing?

Sorry to hear that you consider selling the X00, no looking through a true finder anymore?, but at a camera (screen) for composing and framing?

Well, the screen does something that a finder doesn't. I always use B&W on my screens. So now when I'm framing an image, what I am seeing is a very close representation to my print. I see a moving image in B&W being borne.
For me, it's a very exciting way to work. I have always been a Leica shooter, so the viewfinder is no stranger to me. The excitement to me for the X100 was exactly that....The finder.
I love the camera and I may still keep it but I don't love using a finder anymore. I like to feel as if I'm floating in time and space and the screen does that perfectly.

I'm a little shocked to hear that Don may sell the X100, but not at the reason. I feel very much the same way - on most of my cameras I only use a finder when I REALLY need to (ie, long lenses and occasionally if the sun is just TOOOOO bright, but that's rarely an issue with the bright rear screens they're making today). For the most part it feels really confining and constraining, both in terms of what I see and how I see.

I don't feel any desire to sell the X100, though, but mostly because its such a perspective check by forcing me to shoot a little differently. By slowing me down, taking me back a little bit. Although I bought it with street shooting in mind, I rarely use it for that because that's one type of shooting I almost NEVER prefer a finder for. As Michael Penn said about it, paraphrasing Joe Wigfall, its a great camera, but not when you see with your hands. But I love the different experience, the different way it forces me to shoot. And I love the files it turns out as well - not more than what I get from the EPL3 or GRD3, but they're definitely different and beautiful in their own way. I love having the X100 in my bag and I use it enough not to have any desire to be rid of it. And to the extent I EVER want to use an eye-level finder, the one in the X100 is sublimely good, so I'd rather put that to my eye occasionally than any of the EVFs I've used. And a big DSLR with a really good OVF is NOT in my future, so the X100 is gonna have to be my touchstone to that whole experience.

-Ray

Congrats Don......... BUT.......

your Leica lenses are crying desperately not be mounted at the GXR....... The tests clearly demonstrates that the potential of the lenses will be transfered up to 100% by the sensor. You get the 'spirit' of each lens but of course not the FOV. I'm waiting for the mount to put the Mandler designs in front.....

Two years ago I had to decide what kind of system beside the D300 should be used and due to the lack of a wide angle lens the GXR was not my choice but the Oly Pen. These experiences I don't want to miss but in the long run the GXR seems better, especially now with the mount. At the end I have one set of lenses and two bodies - a Leica M4 and the GXR. It seems that my digital Nikon has to go, but I keep the 24, 28, 50 and 105mm AI(S) lenses with an adapter NikonF - M. At Ricoh I asked about a dedicated B&W sensor for the M mount. The cartridge for the mount is there, the shutter too, It's (only) the missing sensor...... ;-)

Yesterday at the shooting I had the impression that the AF speed would be on par with the Pen E-P2 or a little bit slower, but I know that Ricoh is permanent working on these modifications to increase speed, user comfort etc. as with the GRD line up.

So at the end I'm happy with my roadmap utilizing the M lenses analogue and digital.

Cheers
Bernd

The GXR has the feel and interface that is designed for shooters. It's little sister, the GRD shares this feature. I'm not a fast worker but I work fast. It all happens as I am being bombarded by stimulus on the street. When something grabs me, I look for my trigger and if I see it, the camera must respond quickly. Of course, as I am reading the image, deciding if it will be borne, my organ of the process... the finger is doing what it's trained to do. It's 1/2 pressing, making adjustments etc without intruding on my experience.
Then, in a fraction of a second, the camera is raised to find the frame.

I have gotten so used to the screen that I feel an intrusion from finders.
Thus, the reason for my thoughts on the X100. If I didn't have many years using M cameras, I wouldn't recognize this issue. This really hit home a few weeks ago when I spent the weekend out on the street with an M4 & an M6. I shot some film and to tell the truth... I won't do it again.

As far a M glass goes, not for me. I really like AF most times. For the times I need Zone Focus, snap focus is 1 press away. It's a continuing saga and I will post more later.

Back