Ricoh GXR With A16 Module $269

Biro

Hall of Famer
Name
Steve
I don't know if this is a "hot" deal but Roberts Camera in Indianapolis has about a dozen Ricoh GXR's for sale, all with the A16 lens-sensor module. That's the 16mp APS-C 24-85mm f/3.4-5.5 setup. Price $269. They're listed as used but I suspect they may be refurbished or even new old stock. I say this because I recently purchased an Olympus E-P5 with electronic viewfinder from them. The kit lens had been taken out of the box but it was otherwise new and unused.

Used Mirrorless System Cameras

Roberts indicates the module is 10mp but the A16 was actually 16mp:

Ricoh launches standard zoom GXR module with 16MP APS-C sensor : Digital Photography Review

I just thought this was an interesting find. I remember playing with the GXR at a Pentax/Ricoh event in New York and just loving it.

Last edited:
As much as I disliked Ricoh's compact camera inspired controls, there is still something compelling to me about the GXR. Maybe it is the semi-logical/semi-flawed "lensor" concept. I'm not too sure about the A16 zoom however as proportionately the two A12 primes are the best match for the GXR body and are wonderful lenses in their own right.

I think I'm going to give Roberts Camera a call tomorrow to find out more. I agree with Nic. There's always been something compelling about the GXR. As I wrote earlier, I handled one at a Pentax/Ricoh event in New York three or so years ago. I loved it. It felt like it was carved from a solid block of magnesium. If these cameras are new old stock, they might have a sale on their hands. A complete kit for maybe $500. What's more, the GXR's DB-90 battery is the same as the NP-95 used by Fuji in the X100 series and the X30.

Well, I pulled the trigger on one last night.* It is winging it's way to me across the pond as I type. It will be my third GXR and I can see myself keeping this one until it dies. I have had all the lens modules including the M mount, except the 28, which never appealed, and this one. The GXR is a flawed concept, sure, but it misses by an inch not a mile and the Ricoh control interface and handling is excellent. As Steve says it takes the same batteries as my X100T and would in this configuration make a good travel partner for that. The one drawback for me is that viewfinder thing but for the use I intend to put this to it won't matter too much.

*I have been doing so well lately too... :doh:

The only lens(or) I ever liked with the GXR was the 28mm, but I like the lens and sensor in the GR and Coolpix A more. Which may be the same sensor as in the GXR zoom lensor they're selling here. But the original 28 and 50 APS lensors were the older 12mp versions that were really nice but about a stop worse than the later 16mp versions in low light. And since I've fallen out of love with the Ricoh interface (after praying devoutly at that church for a couple of years), there's nothing for me here. But I did REALLY enjoy that GXR-28 for a period of time there - I think I might have bought it twice although my memory is shaky on that one...

This is a fine price if you want that zoom unit... No interest here, though...

-Ray

I just pulled the trigger on one myself. I called Roberts and spoke with James. He told me the GXRs came directly from Ricoh/Pentax and have low usage. They were used at Ricoh/Pentax demo events. They appear as though they are new-in-box. I picked up the GXR body with A16 24-85mm module and the A12 50mm macro module. James said the few A12 28mm modules and M-mount modules they had sold out quickly.

Well, I pulled the trigger on one last night.* It is winging it's way to me across the pond as I type. It will be my third GXR and I can see myself keeping this one until it dies. I have had all the lens modules including the M mount, except the 28, which never appealed, and this one. The GXR is a flawed concept, sure, but it misses by an inch not a mile and the Ricoh control interface and handling is excellent. As Steve says it takes the same batteries as my X100T and would in this configuration make a good travel partner for that. The one drawback for me is that viewfinder thing but for the use I intend to put this to it won't matter too much.

You gave in to buying an older camera for not much money. I recently bought a Pentax Q7 body because it was $124 and what the hell. The thrill to cash ratio is much higher on these older cameras. :D I also keep buying the E-P1 because I like it. Heck, I was tempted by this deal but I caught myself and put $269 in the Pen F piggy bank.

You gave in to buying an older camera for not much money. I recently bought a Pentax Q7 body because it was $124 and what the hell. The thrill to cash ratio is much higher on these older cameras. :D I also keep buying the E-P1 because I like it. Heck, I was tempted by this deal but I caught myself and put $269 in the Pen F piggy bank.

Yup. What I paid here for the GXR and both modules was still less than what I'd pay for many point-and-shoots. The thrills-to-price ratio was too good to ignore. It's kind of like when a few of us bought the Fuji X10 for $99 recently.

I always liked the GXR but I'd never pay list price or anything close to it. It helped that James have me an extra five percent discount over the phone after I told him I posted the deal here and on Pentax Forums. :)

I bought my brand-new, leftover E-P5 with VF-4 from Roberts for only $399 and it's been perfect. But I understand the appeal of the original E-P1. Re: saving money for the Pen F - good plan.

How much are they charging for postage etc, Bill?

My GXR has arrived and while the battery is charging, I have to say that playing with the camera body and modules has brought a big smile to my face. This is an awesome little piece of kit despite its age.

First, the body and modules appear brand new. They were packed into the Ricoh-labelled brown box (looks like Olympus's boxes for refurbs) as though they had just been shipped from the factory. Second, all of the paperwork and software is there - including a one-year warranty! I'll have to check with Roberts Camera about that but it appears as though that is what Ricoh intended and Ricoh is where Roberts got the cameras from.

Just as when I first played with the GXR maybe four years ago, it feels - even with the module installed - as though it was carved from a solid block of magnesium. Handling is great, encouraging one-handed operation, just as the GR does.

I'm really looking forward to this. We'll see how the 4-to-5-year-old contrast-detection autofocus works. But I don't think it'll be much of an issue.

I hope Bill will be as pleased with his purchase as I am!

So... It arrived yesterday. I unboxed it and fired it up today.

It's back in the box and I've emailed requesting the returns process.

On the plus side, this does look like new stock. There was not a mark on the box, or the camera or lensor. The body even had the original plastic cover on the screen. Everything powered up correctly. but there is a problem with the lensor. Light just isn't getting through to the sensor, or the sensor is not capturing the light. I can adjust aperture, but that makes no difference. At first I thought there was nothing - just a black screen - but if I turned the brightness way up I could see something. I took a picture but it was grossly underexposed and out of focus.

*sigh*

I'll report on the ease of getting my money back.

So... It arrived yesterday. I unboxed it and fired it up today.

It's back in the box and I've emailed requesting the returns process.

On the plus side, this does look like new stock. There was not a mark on the box, or the camera or lensor. The body even had the original plastic cover on the screen. Everything powered up correctly. but there is a problem with the lensor. Light just isn't getting through to the sensor, or the sensor is not capturing the light. I can adjust aperture, but that makes no difference. At first I thought there was nothing - just a black screen - but if I turned the brightness way up I could see something. I took a picture but it was grossly underexposed and out of focus.

*sigh*

I'll report on the ease of getting my money back.
What a shame.

Back