Meetup Ricoh/Pentax meetup in London on the 29th October

Cristian Sorega

Regular
Not sure if this is the right forum to post this but I hope it is interesting for some people.

There have been a few Ricoh and Ricohforum meetups so far, you can read more about them here: Cristian Sorega Photography: Ricohforum Meetup, Cristian Sorega Photography: 2nd Ricohforum Meetup and Cristian Sorega Photography: 3rd Ricohforum Meetup

So with all the recent Ricoh news and releases I thought it's about time to set up another meetup for the 29th October in London. Like for the other meetups there will most likely be a representative from Ricoh available to answer some questions and also take any feedback people have.

I will update this post with more details but if you are interested in joining post here or on my blog here (Cristian Sorega Photography: Round Call) so i have an idea of the numbers.

Hi Bill, I hope you can make it.

I have been quite busy recently so did not get round to reply to this thread or fix a location yet but it will definitely go ahead as planned.

Location for the Meetup confirmed

The location for the meetup is now confirmed, we will meet between 9:30-10am at fix Coffee in Whitecross Street: Fix Coffee

There will be a representative from Ricoh there to answer any questions you might have. If you can't make it but want me to ask anything post it here.

If anyone going to the meet up happens to read this, please tie up the Ricoh folks and tickle them with a long feather until they fess up and explain the meaning of this:

Ricoh eyes growth with camera push - Marketing news - Marketing magazine

Chas Moloney, Ricoh UK marketing director, said the company is now preparing a new product that will plug a gap in the market, which will be unveiled in 2012.

It'd be very interesting to know what gap they are aiming for.

I am so tempted by the GXR and have been impressed by images being put out by the M mount and some of the thinking and software that went into it (corner-fix built in!) but really wish there was a body that included some of the features - notably the integrated EVF - that the NEX-7 offers. Maybe the base body is due for a refresh?

With cash burning a hole in my pocket and being compact-camera less at present, I still don't feel like making a short term camera purchase but want to buy into a camera system/family that has longevity designed into it and growth options. If I know where Ricoh is heading towards I'd be happy to hang on to my cash and make do until I can meet up with them later down the road.

adanac,

the Ricoh GXR is the first modular camera in terms of digital compact cameras. Why should Ricoh give up this tiltable finder which can be left in the pocket when the small lensors turn the camera into a P&S?
Is it that the cam should look like a M8/9 from Leica?
It would be fine to increase the resolution of the finder up to the level of Soy or at least Panasonic's GH line up. Looking to the other enthusiats line up of the GRD, Ricoh is very conservative and carful with it's upgrades. Ricoh isn't Sony and this is very fine (for me)......

Big thanks to Cristian for organising today's session. Great to meet everybody to swap experiences ( and lenses ;) ) My apologies to those who are going to end up spending even more money on Leica "character" glass - if it makes you feel any better I feel a GRD in the offing...! :D

Thanks again.

silverbullet, I'd be happy with a stand alone finder being upgraded in resolution and refresh rate if that modular approach (keeping it separate) is justifiable.

What I mean by that is if the current GXR body can't support a higher resolution / refresh finder, then modularity doesn't mean much - except for those who don't want a finder in the first place.

I realize there isn't unanimity on that subject, but I feel the advantages of a built in finder in terms of portability and durability are significant enough to consider. With automatic eye detect using such a camera is quite pleasant for those who prefer the rear display or frequently switch, at least that is my experience with the X100.

My guess is that Sony has upped the bar for "serious compacts" in this regard which will probably put competitive pressure on others. Ricoh may resist that pressure - which is fine.

By suggesting changes I mean no disrespect to loyal happy Ricoh users. My feeling is that this class of camera will as an ongoing process become DSLR replacements in many cases and that makers will cater to that trend - I'm just wondering aloud what improvements they may choose to incorporate if there is a 2012 revision of the GXR base camera.

Thanks for coming along Bill, it was great to meet you yesterday.

I have posted my full report of the meetup here: Cristian Sorega Photography: 4th Riohforum meetup

So rather than repeating everything I will try to answer the questions raised in this post.

Regarding the GXR roadmap, the only other module planned at the moment is the Zoom module with a range from 24-85mm although not GR labelled and without a constant aperture but with maybe a higher resolution sensor. The Pentax buy has changed things so Ricoh will need some time to evaluate everything and bring the two teams together before announcing a new roadmap.
The GXR Zoom has been delayed due to the flooding in Thailand and the impact it had on Sony's sensors, which will also impact the availability of the GXR Mount A12 module.

As for assigning the macro button, this has been suggested and I would expect Ricoh to take this on-board for their next firmware releases. They have always been very good at implementing feedback from users.

The ISO 50 and 100 option is dependent on the sensors they get but there is already a ISO 100 option in the A12 modules called ISO Low but it's not a native ISO so achieved by processing in camera.

With regards to a new GXR body, this is certainly overdue and Ricoh has been talking internally about it but we did not get more details. If I were to bet, I would say we will see something announced either in November (unless there are delays due to the earthquake and flooding) or latest by Photokina next year. With regards to a built-in EVF, I don't think this is what Ricoh has in mind but they will certainly bring out a higher resolution external EVF. I sure hope we will see a tilt screen like the NEX cameras since this would be way more useful IMO than a new EVF (the current one is not too bad).
For everyone on the fence about buying a GXR now or wait, a new body only costs 250 pounds at most so it's both easy and cheap to swap when the GXR II body gets released and continue using the existing modules, this makes it a more future proof purchase than a 1000 pound NEX 7 where you need to replace everything.

This is all for now but if you have more questions please feel free to ask here or on my blog and I will forward to Ricoh.

Sure wish I could have made the meetup but I will miss it by a couple days. Heading over to the Luton Airport tomorrow, Monday evening US time, arriving Tuesday morning. Might have a couple days in the area but not sure as of now.

I'm happy to hear about the zoom module still being planned. A little delayed helps me put a few more bucks away until its available.

Just don't see the M mount in my future as I don't have any M mount lenses "laying around". I hope to add the 50mm too to my stable and then I think I'll be set for some time. Maybe, a body update, if it adds some more speed to the RAW performance. But I'm pretty happy right now with what I have.

Duane, if you are in the City or Greenwich and want to meet for a coffee let me know.
I am always happy to meet other photographers for a chat and you can also have a look at the M module.

Here are some of my snaps from the event:

Second time I've seen Dan in as many weeks - last time was in Palermo...

Cristian vectoring in latecomers:

Not everybody was there for the cameras...

...but we had a tableful of kit so we didn't care:

The journey home:

...the first three are shot with the 60mm Elmarit R, adapted to Nikon mount with a Leitax adaptor and mounted to the M Module with a Novoflex LEM/NIK adaptor. The fourth is the 3.5cm f3.5 Elmar, and the last the 35mm Zeiss Biogon. All shot wide open.

Back