riding to kick cancer in the butt

hippi

Regular
Name
ralph schoffstall
The Great Cycle Challenge is for kids' cancer were people from around the world come together and ride their bikes to kick CANCER IN THE BUTT Great Cycle Challenge. FREE ENTRY. Learn More. see for yourself Children's Cancer Research Fund.
I ride my bike daily when the weather is good 10-20 miles a day, so I picked this one because CANCER SUCKS. I can give daily updates on my ride I use Strave to keep track of my miles. This challenge starts in September but want to start now with fundraising My goal this year is 400 miles
This year is harder than last year just lost my bother-in law Bruce Riley to cancer last month it started as colon cancer then went to his lungs then his brain.
here is my page Support My 300 Mile Ride to Fight Kids' Cancer! my aviator shows my jersey I ware when ridding last year got y pic displayed for 20 sec. on the video billboard Time Square New York, that is me in the upper right-hand corner.
meontimesq.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your brother in law, Ralph. We ignore our guts at our peril.

Please, everyone, if you have any symptoms (odd lumps or other skin lesions, blood on the toilet paper, trouble peeing, or frequency, or lack of bladder control) ASK YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT IT!! ANYTHING that changes should at least be asked about.

My brother in law also died from bowel cancer mainly because he put off seeing his doctor about it until it was too late. He had clear symptoms.

Males over 40 y.o. Have your prostate checked! At least a PSA blood test, plus the finger. If you're clear, you can probably leave having regular checks until after 50 y.o. Two of my oldest friends got prostate cancer at around 40 y.o. Both died of it before they reached 50 y.o.

Prostate cancer kills more males than breast cancer kills females ...

I have a lot of health problems, as most here will already know, as I talk freely about them. I'm very fortunate. Most of my problems have been fixable to a greater or lesser degree. Some of them would have killed me if I hadn't been vigilant for the last 20+ years, or had ignored them.

Good news is my vitamin B12 levels are back to normal (just an injection every 3 months now, and vitamin B complex tablets every day for the rest of my life).

Bad news is that my hip bone density is still osteoporotic, and a bit worse. More exercise (walking), plus another calcium plus vitamin D tablet each day. Prolia injections continue 6 monthly.

We are all so very fortunate these days, that these potentially devastating biochemical deficiencies are known about, can be detected and can be effectively treated. BUT - only if we know the problem exists ...

The Great Cycle Challenge is for kids' cancer were people from around the world come together and ride their bikes to kick CANCER IN THE BUTT Great Cycle Challenge. FREE ENTRY. Learn More. see for yourself Children's Cancer Research Fund.
I ride my bike daily when the weather is good 10-20 miles a day, so I picked this one because CANCER SUCKS. I can give daily updates on my ride I use Strave to keep track of my miles. This challenge starts in September but want to start now with fundraising My goal this year is 400 miles
This year is harder than last year just lost my bother-in law Bruce Riley to cancer last month it started as colon cancer then went to his lungs then his brain.
here is my page Support My 300 Mile Ride to Fight Kids' Cancer! my aviator shows my jersey I ware when ridding last year got y pic displayed for 20 sec. on the video billboard Time Square New York, that is me in the upper right-hand corner.
Ralph,
Let me express my condolences too. Cancer sucks. There is no two ways about it. I am a cancer survivor in several ways. I lost my mother to cancer when I was 28 (39 years ago). So I understand what it is like to loose someone to cancer. I have had multiple basil cells removed and have survives Stage 3 Clear Cell Renal carcinoma. It spread from my kidney, to an adrenal gland, and my lungs. The cancer had almost reached my heart. The thing is, the doctors believe I had it at least 5 years before it presented any symptoms. The only reason it was caught I was getting checked out for another issue.

Good luck with achieving the 400 mile goal.

My elder sister died of breast cancer a long time ago, at 43 y.o.

She should have been diagnosed at 27 y.o. She wasn't. The O&G was struck off the medical register for his negligence in another case. Again, many years ago now.

Sometimes, one has to be persistent.
I had to change both my cardiologist and cardiac hospital to get a correct diagnosis of my heart problems. What really, REALLY makes me angry is that my original cardiologist had known that I had a level one atrio-ventricular block since before my mitral valve replacement in 2003! I have a "cardio card" from then, with that printed on it ... Of course, this explained my exercise intolerance and shortness of breath which I had complained to him about ever since the MVR. Six days in Epworth Richmond private hospital in 2018, and I was discharged with a diagnosis that even I knew was just plain wrong. At this point, I changed both cardiologist and hospital.

My new cardiologist diagnosed these problems within 12 minutes of our very first consultation ...
So did the emergency doctor at our local public hospital, about 6 months prior. So did I in the interim while waiting for my first consultation with my new cardiologist, who my GP selected for me.

Two emergency cardiac ablations and a pacemaker later, I still have tachy/brady syndrome, sick sinus syndrome, atrial fibrillation and ventricular fibrillation, but at least I am unlikely to die from these problems, as I am now being monitored for them on a daily basis.

As I said before - BE PERSISTENT, if you are not convinced ...

This coming November will mark 10 years since my last round of Chemo for lung cancer. After at least a year of misdiagnosis I ended up at the University of Michigan Hospital in Ann Arbor where they found a tumor as big as a baseball that 3 other doctors in other hospitals apparently didn't notice. So yes, be persistent and don't let anyone tell you, "you have a bad cold" when you know it's something more. I lost my upper left lobe to stage 2b lung cancer, but I was fortunate to have nabbed it before it spread, which given the size of the tumor was quite amazing.

When you go through something like that it's easy to be overcome with a sense of dread and a "why me?" attitude, but very early in my treatment after the surgery something happened that put it all in perspective. The waiting room for my first rounds of chemo at UofM was being remodeled, so we had to wait in the children's waiting area. When you walk in and sit down next to a child, maybe 7 or 8 years old, without any hair that still seems to have a smile from ear to ear, laughing with his mother and either full of hope, or completely oblivious to the challenge ahead, your personal battle becomes quite small. I've 'won' my battle so far, but it has changed my life. Some for the bad, some for the good. I try to focus on the good. My condolences to all that have lost loved ones, and best wishes to those fighting cancer today.

Cancer does suck. But there is more of a chance for survival today than yesterday, and there will be a better chance tomorrow. That 7 year old that sat next to me in the infusion waiting area is probably graduating high school this year. I can only hope.

This coming November will mark 10 years since my last round of Chemo for lung cancer. After at least a year of misdiagnosis I ended up at the University of Michigan Hospital in Ann Arbor where they found a tumor as big as a baseball that 3 other doctors in other hospitals apparently didn't notice. So yes, be persistent and don't let anyone tell you, "you have a bad cold" when you know it's something more. I lost my upper left lobe to stage 2b lung cancer, but I was fortunate to have nabbed it before it spread, which given the size of the tumor was quite amazing.

When you go through something like that it's easy to be overcome with a sense of dread and a "why me?" attitude, but very early in my treatment after the surgery something happened that put it all in perspective. The waiting room for my first rounds of chemo at UofM was being remodeled, so we had to wait in the children's waiting area. When you walk in and sit down next to a child, maybe 7 or 8 years old, without any hair that still seems to have a smile from ear to ear, laughing with his mother and either full of hope, or completely oblivious to the challenge ahead, your personal battle becomes quite small. I've 'won' my battle so far, but it has changed my life. Some for the bad, some for the good. I try to focus on the good. My condolences to all that have lost loved ones, and best wishes to those fighting cancer today.

Cancer does suck. But there is more of a chance for survival today than yesterday, and there will be a better chance tomorrow. That 7 year old that sat next to me in the infusion waiting area is probably graduating high school this year. I can only hope.
I did my cancer treatments at MD Anderson in Houston. If I started feeling sorry for myself, all I had to do was to look around. It was not hard to find someone in much worse condition than me.

When I first met with my oncologist, I was told I had a 42% chance of living 38 months. After 28 immunotherapy treatments, I was declared in remission. As Will Focus said, treatments and survivability rates are improving.

my ride today was nice till 1 1/2 miles south of Beaman when my rear derailer blow up, got help from a nice guy had an Allen-wrench to get me limping home got to a major road called for help, my son came and picked me up, but got 13 miles . this was on thew Katy Trail
Katy Trail State Park | Missouri State Parks
DFE_7778.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
DFE_7780.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back