Pentax RIP Pentax K-01

wolffy

Name
Ron Wolfgram
It is now listed as a discontinued model in Pentax's web site and the post-mortum already in progress over at the Pentax K-01 - PentaxForums.com. DPRiview formes have been bashing this fine camera for most of the week Pentax Ricoh discontinues K-01 K-mount mirrorless camera: Digital Photography Review

OK before the first reply which is going to be something about how ugly it is. This is really a good camera with identical APS sensor as the pentax K5 SLR. Ricoh/Pentax took a chance and it didnt work out. Anyone else have one? I have the yellow one and it is really a fun camera.
K01-L.jpg

Ron Wolfgram
Saint Paul, MN, USA

I like the design and was tempted by the recent deep discounts. We definitely have some members who own them.

It is a great companion camera for a pentax user I have a K5 and a bunch of lenses. mostly use it as my macro camera, with legacy lenses. focus peaking is great for macro
just checked today, $299 for body only at B&H free shipping, while supplys last. That's the price of a P&S camera. I actually ordered one up (white) because I want the 40mm pancake lens which are going for $496
K-01 kit with that lens is $358.

Ron Wolfgram
Saint Paul, MN, USA

Well, I've got one. I understand Luke's concerns about the lack of an EVF and, in truth, I would have preferred one as well. But the $300 pricetag was just too strong an incentive when the image quality is in K-5/K-30 territory. I tend to use mine with the DA Limited primes, usually at family events indoors or when very bright sunlight isn't an issue. And, here's something: With all the talk about slow auto-focus (vastly improved with two firmware updates), none of my lenses require focus correction as some do on my K-5. So contrast-detection auto-focus is good for something! I bought the black body-only. I didn't buy the 40 XS lens because I have a DA 40 Limited. But I kind of wish I did because I'll bet that lens on a K-01 body will become something of a collector's item. $250 is too much for the lens alone, though. There's still time to pick one up - in virtually any color, with or without the 40 XS. So if anyone is having second thoughts, act now. :D

I bought the latest black one, used, without lens. I have the Pentax-M 50mm, F1.7, that I've had for many years, just laying around. They made a nice marriage. Do wish I had the "40".

Pentax's mistake, was in visual design, not the functional one. The only issue I have, is the flash. With the manual lens, I can't get the flash to give consistent exposure. But with the ability to use 1600 ISO, (which I never thought I would use) I am not too handicapped. And I have the E-p2 with FL36 for those duties.

I am getting better results with the "Ugly Duckling", than I have ever gotten before.

PENTAX: Make a few "PHOTOGRAPHER" changes, and bring us the next generation!

Thank you in advance,

When the K-01 was first announced I thought it was an overpriced joke and agreed 100 percent with all the reviews that made fun of that brick of a camera. When the priced dropped to less than $350 with the 40mm lens and $299 for the body only I couldn't resist. I quickly fell in love with the K-01 even though I have several Olympus Pen cameras, the OM-D, and used to own a NEX-3 before I sold it last year and had the NEX-6 on loan for a while ... all of which have better AF than the K-01.

The K-01 is a great photographic tool with fantastic image quality in spite of its quirky design (or perhaps -- at least in part -- because of its quirky design). I liked the K-01 so much I bought a second K-01 body and more Pentax lenses to take advantage of these GREAT cameras.

Technology is always moving forward and I'm sure my love affair with the K-01 will eventually end, but for now I'll keep using and enjoying the K-01 even if it's not officially part of the current Pentax lineup anymore.

Cameras like the K-01 and Nikon V1 should have been priced lower than what they began with. Now that they are both in the sub-400's, they are great buys!

I hear you steve
Run that sensor up to max 25600 it still looks good. having that range really changes the game. its a great camera.

yellowstone-62-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This image is from the Cody night Rodeo. shot at iso 25600.

I bought the latest black one, used, without lens. I have the Pentax-M 50mm, F1.7, that I've had for many years, just laying around. They made a nice marriage. Do wish I had the "40".

Pentax's mistake, was in visual design, not the functional one. The only issue I have, is the flash. With the manual lens, I can't get the flash to give consistent exposure. But with the ability to use 1600 ISO, (which I never thought I would use) I am not too handicapped. And I have the E-p2 with FL36 for those duties.

I am getting better results with the "Ugly Duckling", than I have ever gotten before.

PENTAX: Make a few "PHOTOGRAPHER" changes, and bring us the next generation!

Thank you in advance,

Cameras like the K-01 and Nikon V1 should have been priced lower than what they began with. Now that they are both in the sub-400's, they are great buys!

They are great buys at those prices for sure, but I wonder if they would have ever existed if Nikon or Pentax thought they would only sell for that much. The K-01 surely couldn't be viable at the current prices which this piece of news would indicate.

Back