Roadtrip: 12 days with the Fujifilm FinePix HS20EXR

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, flysurfer. Elivis's place reminds me of a mausoleum. Not meaning to be unkind, but these sorts of things tend to give me the creeps...but that's just me. Very nice collection of cars...maybe they should be sold and the money raised donated to a good cause? Or is Elvis's former home the cause?

I've enjoyed seeing your Natchez photos...the river, the "guest houses"...did you have any Mark Twain moments?;)

I guess most of the cars were actually bought back or donated (by Priscilla) to the museum. Same with the plane(s). I guess it took several years for everybody to realize how important Elvis still was/is for the public. Personally, I've never been a fan, but the place is pretty well-maintained and certainly not creepy, I have seen worse in this regard. It was only in this decade that Graceland became a national historic landmark, so these things really take their time.

Day 9. We are on the road again, via Baton Rouge to New Orleans, with a quick sidetrip to Oak Alley plantation. Looking out of the car window, agriculture and the oil industry appear to be coexist in a quite photogenic way...

View attachment 42388

View attachment 42389

In the afternoon, we arrive at Oak Alley plantation.

View attachment 42390

Since not all of us want to spend $18 for the privilege of having a look inside this lovely house for half an hour, the beer addict and I remain outside to find some photographic spots. Meanwhile, our Harry Potter fan is going inside with an F200EXR, taking these shots:

View attachment 42391

View attachment 42392

View attachment 42393

View attachment 42394

In the meantime, I was taking pictures with the HS20 from outside the main gate:

View attachment 42395

Driving up the Mississippi levee, we found an even better spot:

View attachment 42396

View attachment 42397

View attachment 42398

Here's a different rendering with Topaz BW Effects:

View attachment 42399

Inevitable Facebook shot, nicely revealing our higher POV:

View attachment 42400

View attachment 42401

Late afternoon, we finally arrive in New Orleans and take our rooms in a nice Bourbon Street hotel, right in the middle of the French Quarter:

View attachment 42402

View attachment 42403

Once again pushing the dynamic range of the tiny sensor to its limits, and beyond:

View attachment 42404

Our stroll soon leads us to the harbor, to the steamboat Natchez, which we will revisit on day 10.

View attachment 42405

View attachment 42406

View attachment 42407

More French Quarter stuff, right before dusk...

View attachment 42408

View attachment 42409

View attachment 42410

View attachment 42411

Finally the sun is down, so let's have a look at a few tourist traps:

View attachment 42412

View attachment 42413

ISO 640:
View attachment 42414

ISO 800:
View attachment 42415

View attachment 42416

Beer fashion – what else?

View attachment 42417

View attachment 42418

"Alien vs. Penis Guy" – typical New Orleans street scene...

View attachment 42419

On day 10, we take a river cruise on a real steamer.

Day 10! Yay!

So after a few too many of these...

View attachment 42506

...we are back in action with a Mississippi river cruise.

View attachment 42507

Nope, not on this tanker, on the steamer Natchez.

View attachment 42508

It's a real steamship, and exclusively propelled by this nicely-colored device:

View attachment 42509

Better be quick with the Facebook shots...

View attachment 42510

...because the scenic background will quite soon be gone.

View attachment 42511

Instead, we get plenty of this...

View attachment 42512

View attachment 42513

...and this:

View attachment 42514

Here's the belly of the beast:

View attachment 42515

The prices for food and drinks are surprisingly civil.

Returning to New Orleans, theres the aquarium...

View attachment 42516

...with the IMAX theater:

View attachment 42517

And here's the competition...

View attachment 42518

...the Creole Queen.

View attachment 42519

However, it's a fake, because the Creole Queen just looks like a steamer, but is actually equipped with a regular engine.

View attachment 42520

Another EXR SN shot in the French Quarter:

View attachment 42521

A street band, merely illuminated by street lamps (with manual color balance adjustment on the JPEG to get rid of the yellow tint):

View attachment 42522

Day 12.
Good morning, Tampa!

View attachment 42533

More driving.

View attachment 42534

Even the birds are making fun of us...

View attachment 42535

In the afternoon, we are at the Tamiami Trail, heading towards Miami.

View attachment 42536

But first, let's have some fun with these cute pets:

View attachment 42537

View attachment 42538

Yep, we are at a airboat rental facility, and the little critters have been borrowed from a local gator farm.

Then again, this adult specimen guarding the restroom is as real as it is wild:

View attachment 42539

View attachment 42540

And off we go...

View attachment 42541

When the engine stops, it's usually only a matter of seconds until one or two gators appear...

View attachment 42542

View attachment 42543

They obviously do like airboats...

View attachment 42544

...as they swim towards them...

View attachment 42545

...literally trying to get in touch with the boats and their passengers.

View attachment 42546

While we didn't, it's pretty obvious that some airboat tour drivers are feeding the animals, often with junk food such as marshmallows.

View attachment 42547

Continuing to Miami, we check-in at the Airport Sheraton, with a nice view of the golf course from our hotel room:

View attachment 42548

View attachment 42549

Did you count? Yep, it's day 13, so officially, our HS20 trip is already over. Time to say good-bye and fly back home to Germany...

View attachment 42550

Even on the plane, our usual suspect is doing the usual stuff...

View attachment 42551

We made it, and so did the HS20. Back home – well, now quite, but in the Welcome Lounge in Frankfurt, after a refreshing rainforest shower.

View attachment 42552

Conclusion:

The HS20EXR is a very affordable camera. Here in Germany, it's now selling at EUR 275 (inkl. tax & shipping), which is a bargain for pretty much any camera sporting a spec sheet like this.

However, mere features are one thing, real-world usability is another. I have to admit that I had my doubts before this trip. That's why I also brought my X100 along. I pretty much expected that I'd be able to use the HS20 under good lighting conditions, but that in order to get usable results, I'd have to switch to the X100 when lighting becomes difficult.

I soon realized that I was wrong and that the HS20 would be able to do the job under all lighting conditions, in all situations. Not a perfect job for sure, but a decent one. After all, this isn't a camera made for professional users and uses. It's a versatile snapshop tool, and it is small and lightweight enough that you can bring it along anywhere and anytime. Of course, it has the word "compromise" written all over it, but I guess the results speak for themselves, clearly demonstrating both the strengths and the weaknesses of this camera. Personally, I'm quite surprised how nice and easy I got along with it most of the time.

With this in mind, I'm actually already looking forward to a HS30EXR, which I'm sure Fujifilm has in the pipeline.

Yes, thank you very much for all of these pictures and for your entertaining travelogue commentary! I've really enjoyed myself from afar and think you achieved some memorable pictures, some worthy of blackmail perhaps, and others are really quite beautiful - all in all a memorable trip even for us vicarious travel companions!

I've missed out on commenting on some real gems in the last couple of days and hope to catch up more when I can. I've been impressed with your output and the quality.. I do wonder if a casual shooter would be able to get the same results? I mean if we're discussing the camera as an artistic weapon of choice? Weapon is said with a wink towards your blackmail photos.:D

There's a great deal to be said for having a small, ever ready camera that has the fixed lens zoom capabilities, that's for sure and these pictures have shown how worthy the Fuji HS20EXR worked out to be in your capable hands and with your eye for the highlights of your Southern Tour. :bravo-009: I can say that I have gotten a kick out of your trip and it certainly seems as though you and your pals did, as well.:drinks:

Thank you everybody who read and commented on this little trip report.
Actually, these shots are as casual as it ever gets.

Looking at the picture counter, I made about 1400 shots during the entire trip (I initially thought it was more, but I stand corrected). Now let's deduct at least 400 high-speed-series shots (at 11 fps) from 3 different coasters (one can't see a thing through the EVF, so I had to shoot every single train/boat in order to make sure to get the one with our folks in it) this makes 1000 actual shots. I'm showing about 250 of them in this thread. Given that I usually take 2 or 3 frames of every single motive just to be sure, I'm pretty much showing most of the motives I actually photographed. There's not that much left out (like the penguins in the aquarium I mentioned before, they didn't work out).

This, I guess, is pretty much in line with typical casual vacation photography. Hobbyists without ambition tend to keep almost everything. It's at the same time sad and a good thing that I almost never had the time to plan a shot, or wait for the right light, the right mood or whatever. If someone has photographic ambitions, he certainly shouldn't choose an HS20, and he should go on this trip alone or with a fellow photographer, extending it to 4 or 6 weeks, taking their time to really get it right. If you do that, everything revolves around the photographs you want to take home.

In our case, the pics were just an enjoyable side-note. That's why I didn't leave out the daily Facebook shots and the blackmail stuff, I think they simply belong to this kind of trip and photography. I really had fun with the camera, enjoyed being a casual snapshooter, totally went from photographer into tourist mode, left any ambition at home and almost forgot about the X100 I also had in my bag (btw, did anybody find my single X100 shot in this thread?). Hence no RAW, no Aperture (almost) and no NIK, just iPhoto and my newly acquired set of Topaz tools to post process the 8 MP JPEGs.

I'm really looking forward to the X-S1, basically a HS20 on steroids, as I'm sure it will make a great casual travel camera. I like to keep it simple, and the S1 looks like a simple and straightforward tool to me.

Back