Rockford, me, and that "grainy" look

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
Recently, I've been enjoying a boxed set of the complete Rockford Files television series. As each episode opens, Mike Post's excellent theme plays while a series of still photographs -- all with a generally grainy look -- are shown.

Does anyone know how to reliably produce that look with a digital camera -- either in-camera or in post processing?

Cheers, Jock
rockford 1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

rockford 2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

In camera, maybe with the X-Pro3. Tweaking the classic negative and grain.

In post, the DxO film pack software has enough customization that you could get the image there with enough experimenting.

There are an awful lot of companies that produce film like presets you could use. You just have to decide which ones fit with what you are trying to do!

This may have something that you are looking for but bear in mind an awful lot depends on what light you are shooting in.

Last edited:
Steve Yedlin would disagree with this. :D
Luke posted this earlier in its own thread.
As soon as anyone comes out with an image exactly like that shown of Mr Rockford from a digital camera, I'm all ears. There's talking about it, then there's actually doing it. Reminds me of those people who reckon they can take an image showing the real world difference between F1.2 and F1.4 but never demonstrate it.

Last edited:
You can get close though, with filters and presets. I doubt that straight out of a camera will do the job.

@Jock Elliott , you might want to look at Hipstamatic if you have a tablet of some kind. I never shoot with Hipsta but I do post process with it on the odd occasion. I’ll see if I can find a “lens” and “film” to suit the situation. (Of course, I dont photograph people so I just don’t have a really suitable shot to even attempt an emulation, however, if you were to download, then use the “Classic” set of filters - which come with Hipsta - I suspect it would get close.

Last edited:
You could try Snapseed which has a nice B+W section which includes a separate grain selector that allows you to set any % of grain upto 100%.
Alternately I have a Tri-X sim that I set in camera which is quite nice and could be worth a try.
I use them quite often and I find them pretty good.
BTW I’ve always liked James Garner and enjoyed the series.

Back